2 more women die in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
http://road.cc/content/news/76510-stats-reveal-londons-deadly-cycling-zone…-if-youre-woman

This is a map of cyclists killed in London 2001-2014. Everyone inside the circle was female.
Central%20London%20cyclist%20fatalties%2C%202001-12%20%28source%20I%20Cycle%20Liverpool%29.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What's the latest thinking on why women cyclists in London are dying disproportionately often?

I don't understand the CS2 collision. The location seems to be http://www.instantstreetview.com/@51.516113,-0.069505,236.56h,-18.62p,1z - the coffee house and nails shop shown in the Standard's photos are ahead on the left. I've ridden there. That bit of "super" highway is basically a cycle lane with posts along the white line and it doesn't look in the photos like the coach has flattened any. Someone in the paper speculates that a cyclist may have been forced out of the lane by a collision, but I suspect that might be because they'd seen the famous video of a collision on CS3 Blackfriars Underpass.

Bounces Road in Enfield is too far out for me to have ridden but it looks like one of those horrible rat-run roads between two A roads which is somehow wide enough for car parking and wide footways on both sides, yet too narrow for decent space4cycling... and which I suspect people cycle along because pretty much the same goes for all the east-west routes between the North Circular and Turkey Brook?

But it sounds like there's more serious criminality involved there because of the hit-and-run - disqualified, incapacitated or distracted driver, probably?

The report of someone run down on a pedestrian crossing by a tipper truck is pretty scary too :sad: RIP all :sad:

Safest way to be in London is assertive (bordering on aggressive),avoiding some of the awful and often lethal cycling infrastructure shitted on us and finally being able to stand your ground to the abuse you get for doing so. My guess is a difference in the willingness to do this between sexes.

Last edited:

Lonestar

Veteran
Safest way to be in London is assertive (bordering on aggressive),avoiding some of the awful and often lethal cycling infrastructure shitted on us and finally being able to stand your ground to the abuse you get for doing so. My guess is a difference in the willingness to do this between sexes.

Not so much worried about the abuse...More like the punishment pass or whatever to come with it...Last year near Mile End I came out of the CS 2 because of two boris bikers clowning around.Soon after I got punishment passed by some clown in a car.(At a guess this was because I wasn't in the CS 2)

Not so much worried about the abuse...More like the punishment pass or whatever to come with it...Last year near Mile End I came out of the CS 2 because of two boris bikers clowning around.Soon after I got punishment passed by some clown in a car.
You are right, 'abuse' leads people to believe I mean verbal abuse which I'm sure male/female can equally ignore. 'Threat of violence' would be more apt.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
What's the latest thinking on why women cyclists in London are dying disproportionately often?
There could be all kinds of reasons–more women perhaps being less assured, or aggressive, or experienced in evaluating risks (a cultural, not innate difference). But the solution lies in educating drivers (everyone, after all, has to earn a licence to drive a motor-vehicle on the road) to recognise their responsibility when in charge of potentially lethal machinery.

There could be all kinds of reasons–more women perhaps being less assured, or aggressive, or experienced in evaluating risks (a cultural, not innate difference). But the solution lies in educating drivers (everyone, after all, has to earn a licence to drive a motor-vehicle on the road) to recognise their responsibility when in charge of potentially lethal machinery.
Correct. When those that survive are the ones more willing to stand up to the threat of violence you know the system is fecked.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
(At a guess this was because I wasn't in the CS 2)
I doubt such guesses because I've had plenty of abuse nowhere near any cycling infrastructure, including being told to get on the (non-existent) cycle track. My guess is that the driver is what usually seems called a nobber on this site.

Oh blow education! If that was going to work, it would have done long ago. It's far too easy now for the much larger motoring lobby to subvert it and for individuals to disregard it once they've got their driving licence. The roads need modernising to reduce the potential for harm from mistakes (deliberate or not), enforcement needs to be increased and wider use made of retesting and continuous driver education.

But what I'm really interested in is anything more research-based, especially since this 2014 don't know conclusion http://www.nhs.uk/news/2014/02February/Pages/Cycling-safety-a-special-report.aspx#women

Top Bottom