2 more women die in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
One of the main points with car drivers is that a lot of them dont care if they kill someone

That is wrong. There might be a tiny handful of conscienceless psychopaths, but by and large people don't want to kill people and suffer if they do

It's also unhelpful. It encourages an unrealistic sense of the scale of the risk. Cycling is, mostly, very safe.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Terrible RIP those poor women.
One of the main points with car drivers is that a lot of them dont care if they kill someone because they know that they will mostly likely get off with it anyway. By that I mean they will not get a custodial sentence, people arent bothered about getting community sentences.They will just say it was their blind spot or they didnt see the cyclist or whatever.So if you have a culture of people not giving a shoot,I cant see things changing for the better anytime soon.

A more important question that needs to be asked is how can another person hit/run someone over and drive off, leaving them in any sort of state at the side of the road? I sincerely hope the driver does the honorable thing and hands themselves in.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
It's way past being honourable what ever the driver does now.

To a certain extent I agree, but If they hand themselves in, it would save the police time and effort hunting them down. The family of the deceased would also be more relieved knowing the person to took their loved ones life is in custody instead of 'still out there' because this person could strike again. Nobody knows if it was accident that she was hit or deliberately mowed down.

The quicker justice is served -- HOWEVER BAD THE END RESULT MAYBE then at least thats some closure.

L Q

Über Member
Horrific, not good news at all.

Something needs sorting but the capital is so over populated its going to be impossible to keep everyone happy.

Tin Pot

Guru
Isn't it still even more disproportionate than for any recent baseline case, though?

I don't know, at a guess no. of men beaten to death by their wife in the last 12 months would be approximating zero. Not so for the inverse, I suspect.

But I'm not sure a statistical comparison would be useful, so much as the approach to the problem. Domestic violence is no longer approached from a "what was she doing wrong" point of view, perhaps the same should be the case when it comes to killing them with cars.

Something needs sorting but the capital is so over populated its going to be impossible to keep everyone happy.
You are right. So let's make the most dangerous, least efficient, most polluting ones the least happy. No need for private cars in central London. Ban them within the congestion charge zone. Cull taxis and minicabs by 50%. Make all lorries fitted with sensors and windows to see pedestrians and cyclists.

London will survive happily without them and it'll be better for everyone else.

Hmm, I can't help read his thread with a little...well, put it this way: Men have been injuring and killing women disproportionately for thousands of years, the fact that they are doing it with cars and trucks while women are on bicycles strikes me as less significant than the underlying theme simply being continued.

Nor do I think the assertiveness or lack thereof is to blame.
am staggered by this comment. May sound very right on to you, and maybe the circles you mix in, but hardly going to help in finding a solution to this problem is it? Are you saying all the bad drivers are men? Are you seriously suggesting that they are somehow targetting a particular gender?

Sorry, I don't think London is overpopulated.Though it has many many other problems these days. If you look at the statistics for road deaths, they were, I believe, far higher as a proportion when the population was significantly smaller.

Pete Owens

http://road.cc/content/news/76510-stats-reveal-londons-deadly-cycling-zone…-if-youre-woman

This is a map of cyclists killed in London 2001-2014. Everyone inside the circle was female.
View attachment 336639
You have to be careful when people claim to find patterns in statistics. If you divide a large enough dataset into small enough chunks you are bound eventually to come across a sample that appears to show something. I'm sure you there are 1.5km diameter circles in the UK where every cyclist death was male - or black - or over 60 - or under 15.

So by publicising this anomaly two misleading impressions are generated:
1. That female cyclists are more at risk than male ones - when the reverse is the case (as you would expect from a generally less risk taking demographic of the population)
2. That central London is a particularly risky place to cycle - when it is probably the safest place in the UK when you consider the volume of cycling there.

Having said that, there probably is something going on which would be worth further investigation into differences in riding behaviour between male and female cyclists. If you consider crashes over the whole of central London there still appears to be a disparity (though this should still be treated as an exceptionally safe place for male cyclists, rather than an exceptionally dangerous place for females). Most central London deaths are due to trucks, and you also see a similar disparity nationwide with female cyclists over-represented in truck collisions.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
When this topic a was looked into a couple of years ago, there was a suggestion women as a gender difference tend to have less spatial awareness than men.

This shouldn't matter if all drivers drive to avoid clouting cyclists as a priority, but realistically they don't.

A male cyclist is genetically better equipped to make up for the deficiencies of vehicle drivers, which in turn explains why more women cyclists are killed.

vickster

Legendary Member
When this topic a was looked into a couple of years ago, there was a suggestion women as a gender difference tend to have less spatial awareness than men.

This shouldn't matter if all drivers drive to avoid clouting cyclists as a priority, but realistically they don't

A male cyclist is genetically better equipped to make up for the deficiencies of vehicle drivers, which in turn explains why more women cyclists are killed.
What does the last sentence mean?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Ah... I'm afraid your understanding on this point is somewhat out of date. Recent studies on spatial awareness and abilities tend to show that the differences between the sexes (not genders) is nurture-based rather than genetic.

It depends which research you regard as most accurate.

Not having closely studied either, I have no view either way.

As regards 'sexes not genders' I prefer genders, but a dictionary will tell you they are synonyms.

You can cut this sexist crap out right now.

You might have a point if this data was consistent across the world or even the UK, but it's not. It's just London.

For example, across the UK in 2015 there were 100 cyclist deaths, 21 were woman. Pretty close to proportional to the number of riders, I'd guess.

Top Bottom