2 more women die in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
That Bit of CS2 is rubbish. If you want to turn right into Osborne street , to go onto Brick Lane then you are stuck in no mans land with the coaches coming down Whitechapel high street into the city inches away. You need to come out of the "protected " lane into main carriageway where you do get subjected to the bollox from drivers about get in your lane .

Lonestar

Veteran
That Bit of CS2 is rubbish. If you want to turn right into Osborne street , to go onto Brick Lane then you are stuck in no mans land with the coaches coming down Whitechapel high street into the city inches away. You need to come out of the "protected " lane into main carriageway where you do get subjected to the bollox from drivers about get in your lane .

It looks rubbish.I rarely use it now.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Really? The Advanced Stop Box looks like it's full-width there to help cyclists turn right once the lights change, but I don't know whether the oncoming traffic is held long enough for you to actually get going and across. It would have been nice if they'd moved the no-entry to White Church Lane back a bit to enable a jug-handle turn as another option but I know not everyone will use those.

From the position of the bike in the photos, it looks more like the right-turn may have been what she was trying to do and if it's as narrow as @subaqua describes then it'd only take one coach to be inches off... :sad:

Whatever the cause of these crashes, they are affecting women far more than men, yet there seems to be no cycle training that addresses this particular issue.
One can speculate on the reasons; women being less risk averse and less willing to ride assertively or aggressively, less willing to get away at lights on the G of green ( if not before), more willing to abide by laws and road layouts that offer no protection and less willing or able to identify sources of danger. They ride bikes that are, in general, heavier and more cumbersome than the bikes than male riders generally use.

mjr

One can speculate on the reasons; women being less risk averse and less willing to ride assertively or aggressively, less willing to get away at lights on the G of green ( if not before), more willing to abide by laws and road layouts that offer no protection and less willing or able to identify sources of danger. They ride bikes that are, in general, heavier and more cumbersome than the bikes than male riders generally use.
I think the bike effect is unlikely because London cycle hire users are all on similar bikes and IIRC women hirers are still disproportionately more injured. I also doubt the willingness to get away is a big thing, but maybe that's only my experience of London where there are soooo many lights and still everyone's so slow to move off ;) - The rest? Maybe.

subaqua

What’s the point
looking towards Mile End the road layout ( and the cars coming out of Whitechurch Lane show clearly how they go wide https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5...A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en&authuser=0

the motorbike here shows how narrow it is to turn right into osborn ( between Khushu and Efes) which is what one report said she was doing. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5...g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en&authuser=0

An ideological fantasy

Sustrans used to have a suggestion that their routes would be "safe" for a competent 10 year old (or similar)

That should be the aim or any road

Tin Pot

Guru
Hmm, I can't help read his thread with a little...well, put it this way: Men have been injuring and killing women disproportionately for thousands of years, the fact that they are doing it with cars and trucks while women are on bicycles strikes me as less significant than the underlying theme simply being continued.

Nor do I think the assertiveness or lack thereof is to blame.

I've used the 'cycle superhighway' referred to in the piece, several times. It's not the best piece of cycling infrastructure I've ever used. R.I.P. and condolences to the lady's F&F.

mjr

Sustrans used to have a suggestion that their routes would be "safe" for a competent 10 year old (or similar)

That should be the aim or any road
Should be, but blatently isn't. If it were for cycle routes, that would be a big step forwards.

Hmm, I can't help read his thread with a little...well, put it this way: Men have been injuring and killing women disproportionately for thousands of years, the fact that they are doing it with cars and trucks while women are on bicycles strikes me as less significant than the underlying theme simply being continued.
Isn't it still even more disproportionate than for any recent baseline case, though?

Top Bottom