2 or 4 panniers????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Dave Davenport said:
When I see people with 4 panniers, bar bag and stuff piled on the rack I do wonder what on earth they've got with them.

I've listed what I take in four panniers a few posts up.

xilios

Veteran
We always tour with 4 panniers each with bar bags. Better to have 4 lightly packed than 2 stuffed.

Edit: The bikes ride much more stable with the weight evenly distributed.

andym

Über Member
xilios said:
Edit: The bikes ride much more stable with the weight evenly distributed.

On the other hand, I've never had an anxious moment with two fully-packed panniers plus dry bag. So personally I'm not convinced there's a strong enough reason to go with four panniers simply for extra balance. Of course if you need the space then go for four...

When I see people with 4 panniers, bar bag and stuff piled on the rack I do wonder what on earth they've got with them.

It looks like the short answer is Trangia cooking kit (and why not? if a good cooked meal is important to you).

soltour

I always carry four panniers...two small front and two large rear..I bought Carridice some time back after getting rid of my karrimors...Mind you I have customised them with extra pouches...works brill....and I like the material of carridice even though the super c's arent completely waterproof..I bag everything anyway..oh yes and the tent and groundsheet go on the rear rack along with waterproof stuff...it sounds a lot but it doesnt take the body long to compensate

snorri

Legendary Member
swede101 said:
I am going to tour around France in July for more than a month, I am going to camp.
Definitely four panniers for a four week tour.
Agreed with ASC1951 re low level rack.
On a tour of 4 weeks duration, it is good to carry a few non-essentials. :smile:

OP
OP
S

swede101

Right i think ive come to the conclusion that I will buy 2 rear ortlieb back roller classics panniers and a bar bag, then pack all my kit and if it doesnt fit buy 2 small front ones!
thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated
also do you think the ortlieb back roller classics panniers will do me fine in France?

Danny

Legendary Member
You can't go wrong with Ortlieb panniers. It is obviously sensible to see if you can get all your gear in them before forking out for front panniers. I normally only use two large rear panniers, however if I was touring for over a month I'd be tempted to have some extra capacity.

If you do want to get a pair of front panniers I've notice that they seems to go for reasonable prices on eBay (unlike rear panniers).

ASC1951

Guru
snorri said:
On a tour of 4 weeks duration, it is good to carry a few non-essentials. :biggrin:
I never got more than two weeks at a time. But I always took a small wooden pepper mill.

GrahamG

Guru
I'd have to go for front panniers if solo - don't like masses and masses on the back of the bike as it just feels unstable to me. Plus, I'm vegan and therefore rarely eat out but prefer to cook a meal every night anyway as it's cheaper. I'd be interested to know how many of the 'just a back pair' people travel alone, camping and cook every night.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
GrahamG said:
I'd have to go for front panniers if solo - don't like masses and masses on the back of the bike as it just feels unstable to me. Plus, I'm vegan and therefore rarely eat out but prefer to cook a meal every night anyway as it's cheaper. I'd be interested to know how many of the 'just a back pair' people travel alone, camping and cook every night.

I tried just a back pair with a bar bag last summer carrying all my camping and cooking gear. The front end of the bike seemed too light and I barely had enough room. I'm getting front panniers for my next tour. I'm not planning on taking much more stuff but need some spare capacity in case I need to carry more food and water and want the bike to feel more balanced.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
So, if I may be allowed to sum it up, the best option is definitely as follows:
2 rear, 2 front but low
plus or minus a bar bag
or
2 rear
plus or minus a bar bag
or
2 front
plus or minus a bar bag

That just about covers it or did I miss something?:laugh::biggrin:

The advice is really suck it and see what suits you, as you've rightly decided!

I used to carry a small three leg stool as I hate having to eat sat on the ground but after I fell off it (whilst eating) for about the fourth time I launched it into a French campsite skip. I've switched to skavenging/borrowing/improvising seating arrangements, there's usually a chair of some sort or an old crate knocking about somewhere on every site, just make sure I put it back where it came from.

Top Bottom