2 or 4 panniers????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swede101

I am going to tour around France in July for more than a month, I am going to camp.
How many panniers would I need? 2 or 4?
If I have 4 panniers will my speed, balance and agility be affected alot?

Thanks

rich p

ridiculous old lush
For my longer, camping trips I use 4 panniers. My front panniers carry the sleeping mats and sleeping bags for me and my wife. If I travel lighter or alone I would use 2 rear but I don't have a problem either way.

YOu don't have to keep them filled all of the time.

It is often useful to have a little extra space for that bottle of wine, bread or other stuff that you see en route and fancy for supper.

Crankarm

Guru
Depends what weight you have in them ............ Less is more is particularly critical for cycle touring where luggage is concerned. The less you carry the more enjoyable the ride is.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Speed and agility will be compromised by having panniers but not by having 2 or 4.
Speed and agility have not been something I've ever worried about on tour!

andym

Über Member
swede101 said:
I am going to tour around France in July for more than a month, I am going to camp.
How many panniers would I need? 2 or 4?
If I have 4 panniers will my speed, balance and agility be affected alot?

Thanks

I've travelled around France for a month with two panniers plus a drybag (and backpack). You could do it with two panniers; four would give you a bit more space but then you'd have to deal worth the temptation not to fill the space just because it's there.

ASC1951

Guru
I found that my bike handled a lot better with four panniers provided the front weight was low down i.e. low riders, not a front rack.

Just because you have four panniers doesn't mean you should fill them all! You see people cycle touring with quite ludicrous amounts of kit - bedding rolls, collapsible chairs, spare shoes, the works. I have never seen the point of taking so much stuff that 50 miles is a huge day and you have to go round the hills: it's supposed to be cycle touring, not taking your luggage for a walk.

It's very tempting to fill all the carrying space available. Don't. It isn't 'will it be nice to have this?', it's 'what will happen if I don't take this?' What worked for me was being allowed to fill the rear panniers, then re-packing it using all four.

andym

Über Member
ASC1951 said:
What worked for me was being allowed to fill the rear panniers, then re-packing it using all four.

That's a neat idea.

Ergle

Über Member
Good idea to leave space for food/wine - in France there will be times when you can't be sure of buying food close to campsite or on a Monday.

I try to keep the stuff I take to a minimum, but still need 4 panniers if I'm camping and cooking. In fact I find that the "kitchen" fills a pannier.

Handling - front end is easier without front panniers, but once you get used to the fact of having the steering "damped" by the weight you soon get used to it.

I have a high rack on the front of the bike and find it ok.

Brains

Legendary Member
The question is not 2 or 4. It is 4 or 5 or 6

As a minimum if you are camping/cooking/carying food etc then you need two rear panniers, a tent bag or sleeping bag bag, or a dry bag.

Plus you need a handlebar bag, you need somwhere to keep the days map so you can see it without the need to stop at every intersection and get out the map, plus you keep the camera, the money, the passport etc there. That bag NEVER leaves your side (or front)

The other set up is to loose the tent bag or sleeping bag bag, or a dry bag. and swap it for two small front panniers, which is probably the preferable set up

PS - Carry the tent poles on the underside of the top tube held on with a bungee. Carry the fuel on the underside of the down tube in a bottle cage

I usually have four panniers plus a bar bag. The tent lives on the top of the rear rack. As others have said, my panniers are not always full, but I like to have too much space rather than too little. I divvy up my panniers as if they were rooms in my house: my rear left pannier is my bedroom (sleeping bag, rollmat, book towel and wash kit), rear right is the kitchen (Trangia), front left is the wardrobe and front right is the larder. The bar bag carries odds and ends and anything valuable. Oh, and I always find space for one of those little folding three legged stools - there's nothing worse than cycling all day then having to sit cross legged on a rollmat on the floor to cook your dinner.:sad:

willem

Über Member
Unless you travel far and to inhospitable places, two rear bags is all you need if you choose yoiur luggage carefully. Do not forget that front panniers and a front rack weigh some 2-2.5 kilo, even empty. They also cost some 100-150 pounds. I think for a trip to France you would do much better spending that money on lighter and more compact gear. I have two Ortlieb rear panniers, the tent on top of the rack, and a bar bag. The trick is to get a high quality compact sleeping bag (PHD?), use a super compact Thermarest Neoair mattress, or for colder weather an Exped Downmat, and leave home all that you do not need. I use a 150 gram down vest instead of a heavy and bulky fleeece. Just scrutinize every item, and decide if there is an alternative that only weighs half (there usually is).
I even have enough space for some extra cold weather gear if necessary.
Willem

We manage fine with 2 x 32 ltr. panniers on mrs d's, 2 x 48 ltr. on mine, the tent on my rack and a bar bag each. Extra food & booze can be bungied on top.

When I see people with 4 panniers, bar bag and stuff piled on the rack I do wonder what on earth they've got with them.

Top Bottom