2 or 4 panniers????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I read a book account of a guy's round the world trip in the 60's. He took, among other things, an eggcup, and a tin of shoe polish....

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Arch said:
I read a book account of a guy's round the world trip in the 60's. He took, among other things, an eggcup, and a tin of shoe polish....

An eggcup is a good call. I have boiled an egg for breakfast and used an upturned bottle top. Actually scrambled is a lot easier!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm with RT and the 3 legged stool. I even use it when we stop for a brew or lunch.
The other luxury is a mocha coffee maker.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Someone needs to invent a sort of culinary multi tool, I don't mean like a spork, but something that folds out and includes an eggcup, pestle and mortar, olive stoner and potato peeler....

I have an idea in my head, it just needs me to get round to actually making it, for a three tiered cake rack, on a sort of reverse umbrella principle. Imagine rolling up, pitching the tent, getting a brew on, and unfolding the cake rack and displaying some dainty petit fours....:cry:

Crankarm

Guru
Arch said:
Someone needs to invent a sort of culinary multi tool, I don't mean like a spork, but something that folds out and includes an eggcup, pestle and mortar, olive stoner and potato peeler....

I have an idea in my head, it just needs me to get round to actually making it, for a three tiered cake rack, on a sort of reverse umbrella principle. Imagine rolling up, pitching the tent, getting a brew on, and unfolding the cake rack and displaying some dainty petit fours....:laugh:

Yeah I'm with you on this one, something the size of multitool or Swiss army knife that when you open it out you get a knife, fork and spoon, corkscrew, egg cup, mug, plate, frying pan, gas stove, double oven, microwave, fridge freezer, dishwasher, cappucino machine and most importantly toaster. And the multitool must be able to fit in the inside pocket of a bar bag. It might take some engineering but I think it not too impossible to achieve :cry:.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Crankarm said:
Yeah I'm with you on this one, something the size of multitool or Swiss army knife that when you open it out you get a knife, fork and spoon, corkscrew, egg cup, mug, plate, frying pan, gas stove, double oven, microwave, fridge freezer, dishwasher, cappucino machine and most importantly toaster. And the multitool must be able to fit in the inside pocket of a bar bag. It might take some engineering but I think it not too impossible to achieve :cry:.

We used to do that sort of thing in this country you know...:laugh:

mike1026

I'm surprised no-one mentioned the ultimate in lightweight cycle touring. The David Cameron method. Put all your stuff in the car that follows you.

stevenwl

My worry is about space. I would hate to crush my hat.

willem

Über Member
My Trangia kit easily fits inside one of the two rear panniers. I do not need front panniers for a good meal. Or, for that matter, for a spacious tent, a warm sleeping bag, a comfy and warm mattress, a decent looking shirt in the evening, or what have you.
Willem

rich p

ridiculous old lush
My Trangia kit easily fits inside one of the two rear panniers. I do not need front panniers for a good meal. Or, for that matter, for a spacious tent, a warm sleeping bag, a comfy and warm mattress, a decent looking shirt in the evening, or what have you.
Willem
Thanks for that Willem. Another typically weighty response to an old thread.:thumbsup:

jags

Guru
rich p when your using 4 panniers can i ask roughly what weight are you hauling.
for my upcoming tour end of this month i will be using 4 panniers
front weighs 7lb in each
back weighs 8 maybe 9 lb in each plus my tent and stool on rear rack.
so approx 35lb.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
rich p when your using 4 panniers can i ask roughly what weight are you hauling.
for my upcoming tour end of this month i will be using 4 panniers
front weighs 7lb in each
back weighs 8 maybe 9 lb in each plus my tent and stool on rear rack.
so approx 35lb.
Something like that in total for me too jags. Weighted slightly more to the rear panniers though.

jags

Guru
thanks rich, to be honest my rear panniers are stuffed well near enough bedding in one cloths in other,

cooking and wet gear are up front .the bike (thorn sherpa) would take easly twice the weight but the pilot would be in a lotta trouble.
Rich can i ask have you a favourate tour stick a link up please :cheers:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
jags, I put the lighter bedding in the front anf the heavier cooking stuff in the rear but whatever works for you is fine. Where are you touring? Do I recall that it's the Ireland end to end? Good luck and have fun!

My favourite country that I have toured is Slovenia for it's compactness, beauty and the friendliness of the locals. The only fault is the quality of the beer!
Here's the link FWIW! http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1&doc_id=5779&v=78

Top Bottom