2-way radios (communication) for bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jbw57

Anyone have experience with 2-way radio (communication) for bikes.....it can be difficult always turning around trying to hear or talk to my wife when on rides. I did some searching around and found this http://www.terranosystems.com/ seems like nice unit but welcome any suggestions anyone may have. Thanks!

Reactions: JtB

Christopher Dale

I can't say I've used the terranosystems but me and my friend just use walkie talkies to keep in contact when on the longer rides, they do tend to work really well with the headsets.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Walkie talkies cost a fiver used on eBay, but in towns pick up everyone's chatter, as they are very popular and many people have them. In the countryside they work better but that's where there is less traffic anyway. In rides with larger numbers they've very good for helping the back of the ride keep in contact with the front, particular as a gauge of how far away they are. After a kilometre the sound is degraded so you know how far apart you are. They have their place, no doubt.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My brother and sister-in-law use a couple of bluetooth headsets whch regrettably work quite well.

I say 'regrettably' because their chatter was irritating on recent group ride.

Brother would say something that I could hear, leaving me not knowing if he was talking to me or not, then I would hear half the conversation with his wife who was out of my earshot.

If I was riding with one or other of them, they would suddenly say something apparently irrelevant because they were responding to a message in their ear.

It slowly drove me nuts over a 100 mile ride, but happily the batteries on the contraptions conked out after about 75 miles, so I got a bit of relief for the last couple of hours.

Drago

Legendary Member
Cheap Binatone PMR446 walkies with earpieces. 1000 or 110's are the ones to have. the 950 was superb but is out of production, but the odd place still has NOS so wother keeping an eye out for. Set them to VOX, Robert is your Mothers Brother. Cheap, reliable, and useful for other tasks too.

adamhearn

Veteran
If I was riding with one or other of them, they would suddenly say something apparently irrelevant because they were responding to a message in their ear.
Damned annoying I bet! How many times have I been caught out by someone walking by on the phone but using an external microphone. Also, I was in Halfords yesterday picking up some screen wash where the person on the till used their headset to confirm pricing. As her eyes were fixed on the till I had no idea which part of the conversation was intended for me!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Cheap, light, no batteries to worry about >>>

comms.png

Top Bottom