20 mph speed limit on the way?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
gambatte said:
Never said it was instant:wacko:

But it isn't exactly 'won't achieve anything'?

Oh alright then,not much,very quickly;)

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Think tanks like this always remind me of the barter system. Its haggling.

Ask for more than you think you'll get, then when you get what you want people will think they've got a bargain.

There'll be more 20mph areas, there'll be more cameras. It just wont be to the extent recommended.

I can speak from experience here as I live in Portsmouth....

It has made a big difference in general.

Queen Street is an example. The traffic is slower, you don't get the same manic overtaking at chicanes and there are more cyclists.

Even better is that the move is supported by the locals who want the traffic on their streets to move more slowly. The detractors and ones against are the moves are the ones who have been forced to recognise the wishes of the locals...

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I find its 'easier' for me to stay below or at the speed limit, since I've started riding.

On the bike I only tend to be between 15 & 20mph, even on the m'way I'm happier to sit at 65/70 and don't jump into the outside lane as readily.

I guess Its 'cos I'v got a comparison with commuting by car and bike and realise that over the complete journey the ability to hit 70mph doesn't have a drastic effect on the journey time.

In fact, today I'd have been quicker by bike

cannondale boy

Über Member
I am all for the speed limit to be reduced. Trouble with that is 9 out of 10 drivers will probably still break the speed limit. So if you impliment a 20 zone they will go at 25...its the same now with the 30 zone, drivers will push it, and go between 30-35mph.
What annoys me the most is that drivers still go pretty fast over speed bumps near schools. The council have installed those signs that flash 20mph zone, only in school hours. But still go way over the speed limit, especially HGV drivers, they are the worlds worst.:ohmy: All it takes is one nutter, and a child is killed.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Rather than speed cameras I'd like to see more of those setups where within a couple of secs they can read your plate, check the databases and see if your vehicle has tax/test/insurance. Pulling you over 100yds up the road if something doesn't check out.

In South Yorks they were confiscating and crushing untaxed vehicles

davidwalton

As usual the press have picked the juicy, current bit out of the report, which also discusses other measures to ensure that the number of road casualties falls.

The RAC and AA both make reasonable comments-

Edmund King, of the RAC Foundation, said: "Motorists will accept 20mph limits where they make sense - but they don't want them everywhere."

The AA Motoring Trust said: "The question drivers have to ask themselves is this - are they prepared to meet some pretty draconian measures and loss of freedom to achieve these extremely tough road safety targets."

To the AA I ask:-

Why does anyone require a car that can far exceed all speed limits? Freedom to have the facility to break the law seems the answer.

It wasn't that long ago that cars were restricted to how fast someone could run in front with a warning flag. Going back to that would be draconian. Reducing down to a limit where if the majority kept to it reduces accidents and deaths is a good thing.

Yes, accidents would reduce because a reduced speed also means more time to think and act.

The AA and other motoring organisations are the champions of the motor, not the general public. What may restrict the motor may increase the joy of everyone else using the roads. The motor does NOT own the roads.

I would be happy to see urban roads at 20mph max, non urban at 50mph (with exception of blackspots = 30mph max), and only Motorways left at 70mph. All roads except Motorways should be single lane. The rest of the road for cyclists and pedestrians (with proper surfacing and protection from motor lane).

David

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
cannondale boy said:
What annoys me the most is that drivers still go pretty fast over speed bumps near schools. The council have installed those signs that flash 20mph zone, only in school hours. But still go way over the speed limit, especially HGV drivers, they are the worlds worst.:ohmy: All it takes is one nutter, and a child is killed.

Usually exacerbated by parents ignoring any parking restrictions.
(2 year old hospitalised near us this year, took that to get the council to attend to enforce parking regs)

col

Legendary Member
gambatte said:
Usually exacerbated by parents ignoring any parking restrictions.
(2 year old hospitalised near us this year, took that to get the council to attend to enforce parking regs)

Why do they wait for something bad to happen,why not just get on and enforce,they know its likely to happen dont they?

domtyler

Über Member
col said:
Why do they wait for something bad to happen,why not just get on and enforce,they know its likely to happen dont they?

Er, because they don't give a fig about normal people, only themselves and their careers.

col

Legendary Member
Because if they did, they'd just give the petrolheads fuel to their "what did you do that for? It's a perfectly safe road, there were no accidents" argument.

To which the reply should be,"your breaking the rules,which are there for safety reasons" surely.If they got caught going up a one way street the wrong way,they would be fined,even if there had not been any accidents,why should double yellows near school entrances,or zig zags,which are plainly signed,be less serious?Its so obviously a danger to people what they do.Get a copper there for the hour each day,and ticket them instantly,if they give slavver,arrest them for something,and confiscate the car,which can be retrieved for a minimul fee.

Top Bottom