20 mph speed limit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharleyFarley

One thing here in the US is the use of signs that read your speed and display it for you to see. If you're going a couple of miles over the limit they'll keep flashing your speed on and off. Five over and it will tell you to slow down. Quite a few drivers do slow, somewhat, when they see the signs. They don't issue tickets for speeding, only just letting you know what speed you're going. Of course, there's always those drivers going 15 - 20 over the limit who ignore them. IMHO most Florida drivers are crazy, and 40% of them have no insurance which is why they hit and run.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Great news

D

Deleted member 1258

'Bikes are overtaking cars'. Well boo farking hoo. Honestly, the level of entitlement.

'Cyclists are having a whale of a time'. Yes that's the point.

Makes me wish I was thirty years younger, I could enjoy overtaking a car, if I could find one sticking to the 20 mph limit ^_^. seriously, it makes no difference without enforcement, if I Knew it was going to be enforced I'd be more enthusiastic about it. A lot of roads round Coventry now have average speed camera's on them to slow the buggers down.

One thing here in the US is the use of signs that read your speed and display it for you to see. If you're going a couple of miles over the limit they'll keep flashing your speed on and off. Five over and it will tell you to slow down. Quite a few drivers do slow, somewhat, when they see the signs. They don't issue tickets for speeding, only just letting you know what speed you're going. Of course, there's always those drivers going 15 - 20 over the limit who ignore them. IMHO most Florida drivers are crazy, and 40% of them have no insurance which is why they hit and run.

We have those here, too. Waste of time, the people who slow down when they see them are usually travelling at around the limit anyway and the others know that it's not a speed camera so they won't get caught and just carry on regardless.

D

Deleted member 26715

@lazybloke I'm sorry but we're going to have to agree to disagree, unless the roads are 'Policed" but either static or mobile cameras in the form of a van or marked/umarked Police cars then you can make the limit whatever you like it will get ignore by a good proportion of the community. We have a main A road running through our village, it's 30MPH & very narrow at one point, yet the static flashy speed sign regularly see 40+ speeds.

Yes there will be those that adhere to the 20mph, but as it is at present doing 30mph gets you overtaken, often by them going at the wrong side of the pedestrian refuges, personally I can only see a reduction to 20mph making the instances more frequent unless enforced.

I fully support the move & mentioned it at the Parish Council meeting last night, where the Police & the County Councillor were present about getting a stretch of the A road reduced to 20mph, but as I stated there, it has to be enforced & not just a token gesture. I was advised that as we've only had 2 deaths on the road in the last 20 years it's highly likely not to even be considered.

What I'd like to see is a change to those speed signs mentioned by @CharleyFarley (we have 2 in the village), with technology as it is today, I'd like to see a camera added to take an image of the registration, then the camera be linked to a local website where the image & the speed is automatically uploaded, effectively naming & shaming the perpetrators.

It's a mindset issue, to many motorists speeding is not breaking the law & if you get caught then you expect sympathy from your peers, it's very much like drink driving, it's taken 50 years for the change to come about, but we got there (mostly)

Welsh traffic police are usually very hot on bad behaviour.
I've cycled through the pilot area in Buckley a few times and not even noticed it but then again I don't recall any bad driving there either.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
@lazybloke I'm sorry but we're going to have to agree to disagree, unless the roads are 'Policed" but either static or mobile cameras in the form of a van or marked/umarked Police cars then you can make the limit whatever you like it will get ignore by a good proportion of the community. We have a main A road running through our village, it's 30MPH & very narrow at one point, yet the static flashy speed sign regularly see 40+ speeds.

Yes there will be those that adhere to the 20mph, but as it is at present doing 30mph gets you overtaken, often by them going at the wrong side of the pedestrian refuges, personally I can only see a reduction to 20mph making the instances more frequent unless enforced.

I fully support the move & mentioned it at the Parish Council meeting last night, where the Police & the County Councillor were present about getting a stretch of the A road reduced to 20mph, but as I stated there, it has to be enforced & not just a token gesture. I was advised that as we've only had 2 deaths on the road in the last 20 years it's highly likely not to even be considered.

What I'd like to see is a change to those speed signs mentioned by @CharleyFarley (we have 2 in the village), with technology as it is today, I'd like to see a camera added to take an image of the registration, then the camera be linked to a local website where the image & the speed is automatically uploaded, effectively naming & shaming the perpetrators.

It's a mindset issue, to many motorists speeding is not breaking the law & if you get caught then you expect sympathy from your peers, it's very much like drink driving, it's taken 50 years for the change to come about, but we got there (mostly)

The evidence is that unenforced 20mph limits reduce speeds by a modest amount, and particularly the proportion of drivers going at the fastest speeds reduce by the most.

Worthwhile, much cheaper than enforcement or engineering, not going to solve everything.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Welsh traffic police are usually very hot on bad behaviour.
I've cycled through the pilot area in Buckley a few times and not even noticed it but then again I don't recall any bad driving there either.

The Welsh Police are very keen - certainly in North Wales. There are already a few villages with 20 schemes, even on major A roads, so nothing unusual. Just have to see if it's all built up areas - will make my rides somewhat interesting, certainly where I'm using some of the coastal roads - might have to avoid them if cars are getting in my way ! :crazy:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's coming next year I think? EU rules.
Initially you get bleeping and you can push through the limit but it's a start.

I'd imagine in a few years the car won't exceed the signed speeds.

You'll be done over with leccy cars. I'll stick to my bike, I regularly break speed limits.

Top Bottom