20 mph speed limit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
There are speed cameras in 20mph areas though, so there must be enforcement through NIPs?

Merton has a 20mph speed limit on all roads I believe including a previously 40mph dual carriageway (not that there is much enforcement in the borough :rolleyes:)

There may be in other parts of the country but to my knowledge there are non in Sheffield 20MPH zones. NIP would need an officer to conduct speed checks and they CBA with it.

PK99

Legendary Member
There are speed cameras in 20mph areas though, so there must be enforcement through NIPs?

Merton has a 20mph speed limit on all roads I believe including a previously 40mph dual carriageway (not that there is much enforcement in the borough :rolleyes:)

This dual carriageway with cycle track adjacent

1657712632771.png

vickster

Legendary Member
Makes sense. Central London and I can see why but that road doesn't look to warrant a 20. Especially with segregated paths and not being residential (from what I can see)

Not central London at all (about 9 miles away?)
Merton is where Wimbledon is

Jody

Stubborn git
Not central London at all (about 9 miles away?)
Merton is where Wimbledon is

My geographical knowledge is poor at the best of times.

In this particular case, it is.

There is no need to make 20 the standard limit for built up areas, most that haven't already had 20 limits imposed are perfectly OK at 30.

There's a traffic lights near me where three people have been knocked over and one of them killed. The other two were life changing.
This is a 30.

I'd rather that was 20 too. We will get used to it.

Alex321

Veteran
There's a traffic lights near me where three people have been knocked over and one of them killed. The other two were life changing.
This is a 30.

I'd rather that was 20 too. We will get used to it.

There are certainly still some 30 limits that should probably be changed to 20. I just think they have probably done the majority of those that need it (in Wales, which is where this applies).

But there are plenty of 30 limits that really don't need to be 20, and I don't see the benefit of a blanket change.

PK99

Legendary Member
Doesn't need to as they are that heavy, you'll be pushed hard to make them top the 15.5 mph limit on the motor. :whistle: 👅

My Whyte all-roads Fazua ebike rides much as a normal bike without using the battery. 17/18 easy even in my decrepit state.

Down Wimbledon Hill 30mph is easily achieved and then continuing on the flat through the Town well over 20mph.

vickster

Legendary Member
My Whyte all-roads Fazua ebike rides much as a normal bike without using the battery. 17/18 easy even in my decrepit state.

Down Wimbledon Hill 30mph is easily achieved and then continuing on the flat through the Town well over 20mph.

Although clearly being in Merton those are 20mph limits :whistle:

Top Bottom