20 mph speed limit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

The French made a similar blanket change a couple of years ago. They managed to cope.

With all due respect that means nothing without context, were all road signs changed overnight, were signs changed gradually over a period, are all roads 20 with no option of 30, if there are 20's & 30's were all prosecutions suspended until all roads had 20 signs. How long was the public information out there before they made the change?

PK99

Legendary Member
The French made a similar blanket change a couple of years ago. They managed to cope.

Are you referring to :
In the most recent changes in 2018, the speed limit on many A and B roads in France was reduced to 80km/h (50mph).

The aim of the reduction from 90km/h (56mph), was to make roads across the country safer for all users and impacted over 400,000km of departmental roads.

That was change in the Default Speed Limit for different Road Classes

Road TypeSpeed Lmit
Motorway130 kph / 80 mph
Dual carriageways110 kph / 70 mph
Main roads outside built up areas/A & B roads80 kph / 50 mph
Main roads within built-up areas50 kph / 30 mph

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Are you referring to :
In the most recent changes in 2018, the speed limit on many A and B roads in France was reduced to 80km/h (50mph).

The aim of the reduction from 90km/h (56mph), was to make roads across the country safer for all users and impacted over 400,000km of departmental roads.

Yes
That was change in the Default Speed Limit for different Road Classes

Road TypeSpeed Lmit
Motorway130 kph / 80 mph
Dual carriageways110 kph / 70 mph
Main roads outside built up areas/A & B roads80 kph / 50 mph
Main roads within built-up areas50 kph / 30 mph

Yes.

mustang1

Guru
Not a complete waste of time. They introduced a 20mph limit in my parents' village a good few years ago. Dad would always stick to the new limit, and thus forcing the car(s) behind him to do the same. :okay:

This is what I do, forcing other drivers behind me to also obey the limit. If they want to overtake, go ahead, but they will be driving at least 35mph to do so. Most of them dont bother.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I don't see great deal of 30mph signs. What i know is that in built up areas, the speed limit is 30mph unless otherwise stated.

Changing the speed limit in built up areas doesn't need loads of new signs, just a well publicised campaign so no one can claim they weren't aware that the speed limit in built up areas had changed from 30 to 20.

Around me it's 20 or 30. but on nearly every stretch of road, there are speed bumps. Very annoying and I feel for my poor car's suspension, but it does do a good job of making you slow down. IMHO these physical means of slowing you down are the only ones that work, apart from expensive average speed cameras of course

+1

The slowest driven roads near me have speed bumps which do no harm, apart from the one's at my local recycling centre which I swear are made from concrete toblerone, all the others are fine to pass over at 10/15mph.

PK99

Legendary Member

Thought it might be.

Looks a very straightforward change. Blanket coverage nationally.
I don't see great deal of 30mph signs. What i know is that in built up areas, the speed limit is 30mph unless otherwise stated.

Changing the speed limit in built up areas doesn't need loads of new signs, just a well publicised campaign so no one can claim they weren't aware that the speed limit in built up areas had changed from 30 to 20.

I suspect that would need primary legislation.

GuyBoden

Guru
I have 20mph signs in the next street, I think it's a good idea, but what seems to slow motorists most is a line of randomly spaced parked cars along both sides of the road, so they have to stop behind each parked car and then pull out again.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
What also isn't clear for me is signage. Are they going to replace all 30 signs (except where it is decided roads should remain at 30) overnight? Or will there be a transitional period when the limits will be 20, but the signs will still say 30?

There won’t be that many to replace and that’s where the minor costs in the scheme of things come from.

Cerdic

Around me it's 20 or 30. but on nearly every stretch of road, there are speed bumps. Very annoying and I feel for my poor car's suspension, but it does do a good job of making you slow down. IMHO these physical means of slowing you down are the only ones that work, apart from expensive average speed cameras of course

There are good arguments against speed humps. Imagine being in the back of an ambulance being rushed to hospital. The repair bill for police vehicles ruined by taking them at speed in pursuit of ne’er-do-wells is eye-wateringly high. There is an environmental cost of higher fuel consumption because vehicles slow down and then speed up again. Not to mention that the type of driver who we REALLY want to slow down, the inconsiderate ones who don’t seem to care about anyone else on the road, are exactly the same drivers who don’t give a rats arse about speed bumps and go bouncing over them like they are not there…!

Apart from anything else, 20mph limits reduce noise, pollution and fatalities. Once again reining in drivers automatically makes life better for residents, pedestrians, cyclists, children...

My word, the way motorists are reacting makes me wonder what would happen if Wales introduced 7km/h (4mph) limits in some residential streets like we have here, or worse, the "bicycle streets" that are becoming common here...

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran

There is normally a 30 sign anywhere it changes from another limit to 30. Because t is the default limit for restricted roads, there is no need for repeaters.

Top Bottom