20 mph speed limit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
20 limits are widespread in suburban London. I see them being flagrantly ignored in the early morning when traffic is low. But during the day a combination of weight of traffic and on street parking/loading acts as natural traffic calming, plus drivers who do reduce their speed makes them appear to me to be quite effective. I think they are generally a good thing.

If I've understood correctly I think I've seen similar in France.

I think the most effective system here is to have cameras; there's a 30km/h (18mph) section on a local 'A' road equivalent where it goes through a village and drivers almost always slow down because there's a speed camera about 100m beyond the sign.

It makes crossing the road by bike easier and safer because I can merge with the traffic from the cycle lane.

Of course, the fact that any fines are collected by the town helps provide an extra incentive to maintain the camera.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
IT would, but then do you have that period with speed limits being unenforceable,

Well you have a week where if the signs haven’t been done you can’t enforce them in those locations. But that’s hardly a disaster.

Alex321

Veteran
Corrected for you.

*ALL* speed limits are frequently exceeded. That doesn't mean we shouldn't have them.

This seems to be a point missed by people who rail against 20mph - if it reduces speeds (it does) then it's worthwhile.

There was nothing incorrect in what I said, so you didn't "correct" anything.

Yes, I know perfectly well that all speed limits are frequently exceeded. But that wasn't the point. Most speed limits are not exceeded with such regularity that the average free-flow traffic speed is more than 25% above the limit.

And yes, even a 5mph reduction (where needed) is a benefit.

vickster

Legendary Member
90% at least of the e-bikes I see around here are likely illegal modifications (given they go way more than 15mph without any pedalling :rolleyes: ) ridden by male delivery riders and those funny Zoomo things. Some have 'fake' number plates from a hire company with a Portuguese name (many delivery riders in London are from Brazil)

Alex321

Veteran
Well you have a week where if the signs haven’t been done you can’t enforce them in those locations. But that’s hardly a disaster.

In actual fact, all the signs are done, just with covers on them. All they have to do on Sunday is remove the covers. And in some cases put covers on the old signs until they can be removed.

Drago

Legendary Member
Make speed cameras covert, put them everywhere - you'll be surprised how quickly everyone slows down.

We don't listen to whining from shoplifters or burglars about efforts to restricted their law breaking, and neither society nor politicians should listen to road criminals complaining about efforts to rein in their offending.

albion

Guru
That simply hints that something is amiss.

I would assume it is a combination 9of recycled batteries and lack of or a low quality BMS that causes the fires most.
However, it could simply end up being impact damage on the cell pack.

We are very close to having safe batteries. Even current smartphones are fire hazards, be it small ones.

Top Bottom