20 mph speed limit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Make speed cameras covert, put them everywhere - you'll be surprised how quickly everyone slows down.

We don't listen to whining from shoplifters or burglars about efforts to restricted their law breaking, and neither society nor politicians should listen to road criminals complaining about efforts to rein in their offending.

Exactly. Our traffic cameras are green, but it's remarkable how drivers stick to the 30kmh limit where they know they will get caught...

the snail

Guru
Exactly. Our traffic cameras are green, but it's remarkable how drivers stick to the 30kmh limit where they know they will get caught...

When they put average speed cameras on the motorway you don't see many speeders.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
20mph limits round here have flashing signs to warn drivers they're speeding. The signs come on for every car, as everyone is doing 35-40mph.

Unless there are cameras or speed cops, it's fairly pointless.

johnnyb47

Guru
I drove from the east side of Wales to the West side to Harlech yesterday and I never one sign were they was evidence the government was getting ready to replace the signs from 30 to 20 mph.
I can't imagine the council would all be out there this morning working tirelessly changing them now as it's now the law, especially as it a Sunday.

Chislenko

Veteran
I drove from the east side of Wales to the West side to Harlech yesterday and I never one sign were they was evidence the government was getting ready to replace the signs from 30 to 20 mph.
I can't imagine the council would all be out there this morning working tirelessly changing them now as it's now the law, especially as it a Sunday.

They are only peel off 30 stickers on top of the 20 sign so shouldn't be too long a job.

The more worrying aspect in my mind is the resolution to eventually take down all the 20 signs as it will be the de facto limit and people should know where a 20 starts and stops.

Peeling off stickers at double time (Sunday) doesn't sound like a bad job!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
All peel off 3's in North Wales, many of the signs have been updated over the last few weeks. A few big red 'new speed limit' signs, and roads already updated with 20 signs painted. One stretch that we were told would still be 30 as there are no houses is now 20 (was listed on official exemptions). Driving down to Colwyn Bay shortly, so I'll let you know.

Chislenko

Veteran
All peel off 3's in North Wales, many of the signs have been updated over the last few weeks. A few big red 'new speed limit' signs, and roads already updated with 20 signs painted. One stretch that we were told would still be 30 as there are no houses is now 20 (was listed on official exemptions). Driving down to Colwyn Bay shortly, so I'll let you know.

That's interesting about the exempted road being made 20. One just up the road in Queensferry was listed as exempted so will take a look on my next bike ride (running day today and I ain't running that far!!)

Chislenko

Veteran
Looking at recent history there does appear to be something of a trend whereby the devolved nation's start something and the rest of the UK follows suit (smoking ban / unit pricing on alcohol etc) so I can well see in years to come this being UK wide.

I am just over the border and certainly in our village and the neighbouring one most roads are now 20. I think also quite a bit of the Wirral has 20 limits and I think I read Mr. Khan was introducing them to London.

I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't eventually UK wide.

fossyant

That's interesting about the exempted road being made 20. One just up the road in Queensferry was listed as exempted so will take a look on my next bike ride (running day today and I ain't running that far!!)

It was supposed to be a stretch from a Peugeot dealer to the rail bridge in Prestatyn. There is literally two houses and a camp site (Nant Hall), but its very obviously 20. One of very few exemptions. If you turned left after the car dealship this was to be 20 anyway. I suspect it was wasier and less confusing to change it all to 20 straight after the national speed limit. The police regularly put a speed camera here.

fossyant

Looking at recent history there does appear to be something of a trend whereby the devolved nation's start something and the rest of the UK follows suit (smoking ban / unit pricing on alcohol etc) so I can well see in years to come this being UK wide.

I am just over the border and certainly in our village and the neighbouring one most roads are now 20. I think also quite a bit of the Wirral has 20 limits and I think I read Mr. Khan was introducing them to London.

I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't eventually UK wide.

Wales have led of banning smoking in pubs and plastic bags, so give it a couple of years.

Chislenko

Veteran
It was supposed to be a stretch from a Peugeot dealer to the rail bridge in Prestatyn. There is literally two houses and a camp site (Nant Hall), but its very obviously 20. One of very few exemptions. If you turned left after the car dealship this was to be 20 anyway. I suspect it was wasier and less confusing to change it all to 20 straight after the national speed limit. The police regularly put a speed camera here.

Know where you are talking about.

Chislenko

Veteran
So @fossyant is the stretch connecting Prestatyn to Rhyl past all the holiday camps now 20? if you have been that way this weekend.

Used to be 40 if my memory serves me.

Top Bottom