20 mph speed limit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Paid for out of their fine

Sorry, I meant the driver/operator of the unmarked speed test vehicle.

Last edited:

johnnyb47

Guru
I passed through a built up area today that's now been deemed as a 20 mph zone. It was about 2 miles long.
Everything seemed to be in slow motion and felt you really do have to keep a close eye on your speed.My car is an automatic and it was regularly creeping over the limit without me noticing. When it was 30 it was much easier to stay on the right side of the law.
The tractor in front was completely oblivious to the new limit and pulled some distance between us.I think alot more motorists are going see some speeding tickets dropping through there doors in the future

Jameshow

Veteran
Just imagine if criminals were treated as leniently as the perpetrators of road crime.

The baying in the media would really be something spectacular if thieves could escape punishment by going on a shoplifting awareness course for a few hours, and thieves aren't killing 5 and seriously injuring 80 every single day.

Interesting take on proportionality...

No wonder police don't worry about shoplifting, burglaries etc.

Far easier to nabb you for doing 33 mph as you drop down into a village....

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
There seems to be some significant confusion here in Wales ahead of the recent Speed Limit change and so, I thought I would help by briefly explaining how the change works so that there can be no confusion:

Any roads that were previously 30 will now be 20 apart from the roads that aren't going to be 20, which will still remain as 30. When you see street lights you have to assume that the roads will be 20 even if the signs still say 30 because despite the signs saying 30, the roads could be 20, apart from, of course, the roads (as explained above) which will remain 30 despite them being 20. It's also important to remember that there will still be a number of roads which despite them having streetlights will not be 20, and in these cases they could be 30, 40, 50, 60 or even 70, however, always bear in mind that even if the signs on these roads still state 30 they could, of course, be 20 unless they are one of the roads that have been designated 30, in which case the 20 restriction will not apply.

I trust that clarifies. It's really not difficult.

Alex321

Veteran
There seems to be some significant confusion here in Wales ahead of the recent Speed Limit change and so, I thought I would help by briefly explaining how the change works so that there can be no confusion:

Any roads that were previously 30 will now be 20 apart from the roads that aren't going to be 20, which will still remain as 30. When you see street lights you have to assume that the roads will be 20 even if the signs still say 30 because despite the signs saying 30, the roads could be 20, apart from, of course, the roads (as explained above) which will remain 30 despite them being 20. It's also important to remember that there will still be a number of roads which despite them having streetlights will not be 20, and in these cases they could be 30, 40, 50, 60 or even 70, however, always bear in mind that even if the signs on these roads still state 30 they could, of course, be 20 unless they are one of the roads that have been designated 30, in which case the 20 restriction will not apply.

I trust that clarifies. It's really not difficult.

I know it is tongue in cheek, but it is also, of course, incorrect.

If the signs say 30, then the limit is 30. You have to assume 20 limits where there are street lights only if there are no signs.

The signs bordered by red circles are definitive, so far as road users are concerned.

Alex321

Veteran
Shoplifters don't kill 5 people every day.

Burglars don't seriously injure 80 people every day.

So yes, very proportionate.

Shoplifters and burglars do not generally do it by accident or mistake.

Negligence can certainly be criminal when it causes damage or injury, but apart from driving, it is generally only criminal when actual harm results.

I'm not saying it is wrong to treat driving negligence as a crime even when no harm occurs from the incident, but it is very wrong IMO to compare it as you (and others here) are doing to deliberate criminal actions.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I know it is tongue in cheek, but it is also, of course, incorrect.

If the signs say 30, then the limit is 30. You have to assume 20 limits where there are street lights only if there are no signs.

The signs bordered by red circles are definitive, so far as road users are concerned.

Whilst I'm (fairly) sure you are correct, the actual leaflet issued pretty much said what Pete jokingly explained

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Make speed cameras covert, put them everywhere - you'll be surprised how quickly everyone slows down.

Fit all motor vehicles with GPS devices so their speed and location is tracked in real time. The fully automated 'service' will automatically issue fines when a vehicle hits 45 in a 40 zone or 25 in a 20... freeing up traffic cops to better police illegal e-bikes and scooters 🫣

Alex321

Veteran
Whilst I'm (fairly) sure you are correct, the actual leaflet issued pretty much said what Pete jokingly explained

Mine says "When you see streetlights, assume that the speed limit is 20mph, unless you see signs that say otherwise".

We actually have one place here where they seem to have missed the signs
1695032852939.png

We have the 30 limit sign leaving Aberthin towards Cowbridge, but then no 20 sign before the school, and indeed 30 repeaters still in place.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Fit all motor vehicles with GPS devices so their speed and location is tracked in real time. The fully automated 'service' will automatically issue fines when a vehicle hits 45 in a 40 zone or 25 in a 20... freeing up traffic cops to better police illegal e-bikes and scooters 🫣

I know that's tongue in cheek but I think road pricing is inevitable. With the increase in the number of electric / hybrid vehicles on the roads there's going to be a drop in revenue from the taxes on petrol / diesel. The government will want to replace this and will probably sell it as " pay per mile " being more equitable.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I passed through a built up area today that's now been deemed as a 20 mph zone. It was about 2 miles long.
Everything seemed to be in slow motion and felt you really do have to keep a close eye on your speed.My car is an automatic and it was regularly creeping over the limit without me noticing. When it was 30 it was much easier to stay on the right side of the law.
The tractor in front was completely oblivious to the new limit and pulled some distance between us.I think alot more motorists are going see some speeding tickets dropping through there doors in the future
It should be easier in an auto. In a manual, you tend to drive at a speed that is comfortable for a particular gear, to the extent of hanging onto that gear when you should really slow down a bit for hazards. Most cars will happily trickle along in 4th at 30mph, as long as it's not uphill, so a lot of drivers will need to get used to using 3rd instead.

Top Bottom