20 mph speed limit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
I think this is part of the problem; as long as we don't treat dangerous driving seriously as we would say, drinking and driving, then the consequences will continue to be underestimated. We need to make it clear that going "just a bit fast" isn't acceptable.

The issue there is that fixed speed limits are a very blunt instrument.

France has it slightly better, where on motorways they have one limit for dry weather and another for wet weather, but that needs much more development and refinement.

At present, we have huge numbers of roads in the UK where travelling at the speed limit would be insane, because we just have default limit on rural single carriageways of 60mph.

But we also have roads with limits that are unnecessarily low except for certain periods.

There used to be e recommendation for road planning that speed limits should be set to te 85th percentile speed of free flowing traffic (I./e. The speed at or below which 85% of traffic would travel). But that has never been used in the UK, and we just don't have limits set generally at individual road level.

There have gradually been more roads with individual limits set, but nowhere near enough yet.

Baldy

Über Member
It would be useful if you could have a feature a bit like the cruise control, where you can push a button on your dash and it stops you going above a pre-set speed. So you could set it to 20, 40, 70 or whatever.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It would be useful if you could have a feature a bit like the cruise control, where you can push a button on your dash and it stops you going above a pre-set speed. So you could set it to 20, 40, 70 or whatever.
Many cars have had this for years. Can't say I use it - I just set the cruise and disengage it as necessary.

Tenkaykev

Guru

I've been a passenger in a car and used the " Waze " app out of interest the GPS was extremely accurate in notifying the change in speed limits as we passed each road sign indicating a change in the limit.

DRHysted

Guru

I do on my 2020 Ford Kuga. It’s called intelligent limiter. When activated the camera reads the road signs and imposes that limit, it can be overridden by heavy acceleration but then it beeps at you until you’re back in range. It can be confused on roundabouts when it can read a speed limit on an exit not taken, or on the A9 in Scotland where they have signs for the HGV speed limit it constantly thinks that’s for it as well.
It was very useful when I first got the car in order to get used to how it felt.
It’s also got intelligent cruise control which works similarly for the cruise control, which is excellent on long journeys.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The issue there is that fixed speed limits are a very blunt instrument.

France has it slightly better, where on motorways they have one limit for dry weather and another for wet weather, but that needs much more development and refinement.

At present, we have huge numbers of roads in the UK where travelling at the speed limit would be insane, because we just have default limit on rural single carriageways of 60mph.

But we also have roads with limits that are unnecessarily low except for certain periods.

There used to be e recommendation for road planning that speed limits should be set to te 85th percentile speed of free flowing traffic (I./e. The speed at or below which 85% of traffic would travel). But that has never been used in the UK, and we just don't have limits set generally at individual road level.

There have gradually been more roads with individual limits set, but nowhere near enough yet.

NL (and possibly other countries) have a variable speed limit on motorways - lower during the day and higher after a certain time in the evening.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
This exists.

Edit: just saw @DRHysted 's post.
On my wife's car a camera reads signposts and puts a speed limit reminder on the dash - v useful.
But the actual speed limiter function is controlled manually.

Drago

Legendary Member

Most modern cars that have cruise also have programmable limiters.

Alex321

Veteran
The point, which I'm not sure you got, is that mere negligence ("accident or mistake") when driving can lead to death & injury.

I know that perfectly well. And the same is true of many other situations. But in most other private situations, you only get prosecuted if it DOES lead to harm, rather than becaue it could have done.

I specify private situations there because regulations in the corporate world often mean you can be prosecuted even where no harm has actually occurred.

And note - given the high likelihood of harm when driving negligently, I am certainly NOT suggesting it is wrong that you should be prosecuted for it.

All I am saying is that it is specious to compare those who deliberately and consciously break the law with those who do so by mistake.

Alex321

Veteran

Many cars do have that feature. My last two (Mondeos) both had it, operated in very similar fashio to the cruise control.

My current insignia supposedly has it, but it doesn't seem to work.

Top Bottom