20 mph speed limit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But there are plenty of 30 limits that really don't need to be 20, and I don't see the benefit of a blanket change.
I think this illustrates the problem with drivers generally. Everyone overestimates their ability.

Speed limits are introduced if there are accidents. There is not somebody that just decides there should be a blanket application. There are accidents.

My feeling is it should be very, very easy to lose your driving licence for operating a car dangerously. People are really far too blase. They drive while looking at Facebook. They drive while angry, and lose their tempers at people who they percieve are holding them up. If someone has so little control of themselves, how could you expect them to have control over a vehicle that will probably kill anyone it touches?

PK99

Legendary Member
Although clearly being in Merton those are 20mph limits :whistle:

I'm indicating potential, not practice. :laugh:

PK99

Legendary Member
My feeling is it should be very, very easy to lose your driving licence for operating a car dangerously.

What about the cyclist an hour ago who came round a blind corner on the pavement, riding one handed and chatting on his mobile with the other. And proceded along the pavement as pedestrians stood aside to avoid him.

(End of Hartfield Rd, a mile along from the dual carriageway pictured above)

Should he lose the right to cycle?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Around me it's 20 or 30. but on nearly every stretch of road, there are speed bumps. Very annoying and I feel for my poor car's suspension, but it does do a good job of making you slow down. IMHO these physical means of slowing you down are the only ones that work, apart from expensive average speed cameras of course

vickster

Legendary Member
Around me it's 20 or 30. but on nearly every stretch of road, there are speed bumps. Very annoying and I feel for my poor car's suspension, but it does do a good job of making you slow down. IMHO these physical means of slowing you down are the only ones that work, apart from expensive average speed cameras of course

They don’t slow vans or SUVs down around here (or boy racers for that matter :rolleyes:)

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
What about the cyclist an hour ago who came round a blind corner on the pavement, riding one handed and chatting on his mobile with the other. And proceded along the pavement as pedestrians stood aside to avoid him.

(End of Hartfield Rd, a mile along from the dual carriageway pictured above)

The punishment should, in principle at least, be in proportion to the harm.

Cyclists being dicks are, broadly speaking, annoying.

Motorists being dicks are lethal.

Of course, in reality, both get away with their dickishness.

PK99

Legendary Member
Why on earth is that now a 20MHP limit?

Or why is theis one, less than a mile away a 40 limit?

Ansmeer: beacuse it is a Red Route and controlled by the Mayor not the Borough

1657722275785.png

Alex321

Veteran
I think this illustrates the problem with drivers generally. Everyone overestimates their ability.

Speed limits are introduced if there are accidents. There is not somebody that just decides there should be a blanket application. There are accidents.

My feeling is it should be very, very easy to lose your driving licence for operating a car dangerously. People are really far too blase. They drive while looking at Facebook. They drive while angry, and lose their tempers at people who they percieve are holding them up. If someone has so little control of themselves, how could you expect them to have control over a vehicle that will probably kill anyone it touches?

In this case, the Welsh government have decided there will be a blanket change. That is what this thread is about.

At the moment, the default limit on "restricted roads" (those with street lights no more than 200 yards apart) is the same as in the rest of the UK, at 30mph. Application has to be made for any other limit on those roads.

The legislation just agreed will change that default to 20mph as a blanket change across Wales. Any councils wanting to retain 30 limits on certain roads will have to make application for such.

This was the proposal(in March)
https://gov.wales/introducing-20mph-speed-limits

And this was the announcement about the legislation
https://gov.wales/uk-first-welsh-senedd-gives-green-light-20mph-legislation

They do say in the FAQ "We are working with local and highway authorities to identify roads that should stay at 30mph." Whether that will mean TROs for those roads coming into force at the same time as the legislation isn't clear.

What also isn't clear for me is signage. Are they going to replace all 30 signs (except where it is decided roads should remain at 30) overnight? Or will there be a transitional period when the limits will be 20, but the signs will still say 30?

Whataboutery...
<snip>
Well, the cyclist is a social nuisance but if he has an accident he's just as likely to injure himself as the pedestrian he runs into.

It will be bad and there will be injuries.

Contrast that with the motorist who is likely to kill the person he runs into and be completely uninjured. It strikes me there is less harm caused by cyclists than cars.

Besides, can you tell me how you would you police removing someone's right to ride a bike? There's no licence or registration for bikes, fortunately.

There is a test for driving and a legal requirement to be insured. I'd like to see that right taken away because removing bad drivers from the roads makes us all safer.

Last edited:
In this case, the Welsh government have decided there will be a blanket change. That is what this thread is about.
Yes, but that's worked out using statistics on accidents rather than the judgment of individuals. I know which one I trust more.

I hope I didn't sound aggressive or that I'm picking on you, but I was trying to illustrate a trait of human nature. We always overestimate our abilities as individuals.

I'd like it if speed limits were much lower. Fast cars belong on tracks, not roads where they make it impossible for anyone else to use the roads safely.

Stephenite

Membå

At the moment, the default limit on "restricted roads" (those with street lights no more than 200 yards apart) is the same as in the rest of the UK, at 30mph. Application has to be made for any other limit on those roads.

The legislation just agreed will change that default to 20mph as a blanket change across Wales. Any councils wanting to retain 30 limits on certain roads will have to make application for such.

This was the proposal(in March)
https://gov.wales/introducing-20mph-speed-limits

And this was the announcement about the legislation
https://gov.wales/uk-first-welsh-senedd-gives-green-light-20mph-legislation

They do say in the FAQ "We are working with local and highway authorities to identify roads that should stay at 30mph." Whether that will mean TROs for those roads coming into force at the same time as the legislation isn't clear.

What also isn't clear for me is signage. Are they going to replace all 30 signs (except where it is decided roads should remain at 30) overnight? Or will there be a transitional period when the limits will be 20, but the signs will still say 30?

They could use a marker and write 'kph'. It'll do.

😄

CharleyFarley

All new cars ought to have gps enforcement of speed limits. If the manufacturers can’t get that to work, then no autonomous vehicles.

I read an article just a few days ago about that. It's already in the planning stage. All new cars will have to have a device to control the speed in accordance with speed limits. Who knows where they'll go with computers controlling cars? Mercedes has already started it with heated seats. The cars are equipped with them but if you want to use them you'll have to pay a monthly fee. Heated steering wheels, too.

D

Deleted member 26715

I can't see they have a choice otherwise how would a motorist know if it was a 20 that just hasn't had the sign changed or a 30 that is staying 30. Any half decent judge would throw out a charge of a car doing 25mph in a 20mph zone still marked as 30mph.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I can't see they have a choice otherwise how would a motorist know if it was a 20 that just hasn't had the sign changed or a 30 that is staying 30. Any half decent judge would throw out a charge of a car doing 25mph in a 20mph zone still marked as 30mph.

The French made a similar blanket change a couple of years ago. They managed to cope.

Top Bottom