20 mph speed limit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
These days I'm a motorist rather than a pedestrian or cyclist. Arthritic knee(s) means I'm barely mobile until I become the $1/6th man.

Frankly I welcome more 20 limits, but only if they are enforced. I'm not talking a blitz, just enforced reasonably often.

D

Deleted member 26715

Frankly I welcome more 20 limits, but only if they are enforced. I'm not talking a blitz, just enforced reasonably often.

Maybe initially they need to be actively Policed with high presence, maybe not actually fining people but pulling them over & a quiet word. I remember the days where the officer was at the side of the road with the gun, then 1/4 mile down the road another officer in the vehicle would pull you over.

Once in the car with my brother in law, he was flagged down by the 2nd officer, he'd been pinged at 33mph, no action was taken but he was advised to slow down, it did for quite a while, no idea long term though.

Alex321

Veteran
What is the fine for driving over 30mph in a 30 zone? Is ot the same as driving over 20 in a 20 zone?

Fines generally for speeding depend on what % you have exceeded the limit by.

These are the Sentencing council guideline "starting points" if it is decided in court.
Speed limit (MPH)Recorded Speed (MPH)
2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 50
3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 60
4041 - 5556 - 6566 - 75
5051 - 6566 - 7576 - 85
6061 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
7071 - 9091 - 100101 - 110
Starting PointBand A FineBand B FineBand B Fine
RangeBand A FineBand B FineBand B Fine
Points / Disqualification3 Points4 - 6 Points OR
Disqualify 7 - 28 days
6 Points OR
Disqualify 7 - 56 days

But in general police guidelines mean you are unlikely to be done at all if less than 10%+2 of the limit, so anything under 24 in a 20 limit, 35 in a 30 limit, etc. And most speed cameras are set to that or higher. And the first column for recorded speed will normally be a fixed penaly with 3 points, or a speed awareness course if you haven't previously done one in the last 3 years.

Alex321

Veteran
One thing here in the US is the use of signs that read your speed and display it for you to see. If you're going a couple of miles over the limit they'll keep flashing your speed on and off. Five over and it will tell you to slow down. Quite a few drivers do slow, somewhat, when they see the signs. They don't issue tickets for speeding, only just letting you know what speed you're going. Of course, there's always those drivers going 15 - 20 over the limit who ignore them. IMHO most Florida drivers are crazy, and 40% of them have no insurance which is why they hit and run.

We have a lot of those as ell. I try to make them go red when on my bike :whistle: (speed limits don't apply to bikes, and I frequently breach the 20 limits, sometimes the 30 limits on downhill stretches with good visibility).

Baldy

Über Member
We have a lot of those as ell. I try to make them go red when on my bike :whistle: (speed limits don't apply to bikes, and I frequently breach the 20 limits, sometimes the 30 limits on downhill stretches with good visibility).

I'm not the only one then.

D

Deleted member 26715

There is no need to make 20 the standard limit for built up areas, most that haven't already had 20 limits imposed are perfectly OK at 30.
Maybe not the standard, but there are a lot of places where it would be beneficial, but I still maintain that unless it's enforced it's just a tick box exercise.

Baldy

Über Member
Speed limits don't apply to bikes. They only apply to motor vehicles.

So, do they apply to ebikes?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
In this particular case, it is.

There is no need to make 20 the standard limit for built up areas, most that haven't already had 20 limits imposed are perfectly OK at 30.

in your humble opinion.

is 400 fatalities a year really 'perfectly fine'?

If you're hit by a car doing 30, chances are you'll be killed. Hit by a car doing 20, chances are you'll survive.

I believe there's every need to put a blanket 20 zone in all built up areas, then certain roads may apply to be 30 or 40 and considered on a case by case basis.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
are perfectly OK at 30.

Couldn't disagree more.

30mph vehicles effectively terrorise roads and make them intimidating and dangerous. It's inappropriate where people live.

20mph makes a huge difference, both in injury potential and how it feels to be on our near one.

Roads are a public space and we need equitable use of them of for all people, not just motorists.

All people includes pedestrians, cyclists, old people, children and the disabled.

All just IMO.

Jody

Stubborn git
Speed limits without enforcement are pointless.

SYP have said 20MPH areas are unenforceable so aren't going to do anything.

"In 2019, South Yorkshire Police said they would not enforce 20mph zones and confirmed no drivers had been prosecuted for exceeding limits."

All new cars ought to have gps enforcement of speed limits. If the manufacturers can’t get that to work, then no autonomous vehicles.

Won't be long

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...limiting-tech-6-July-Britain-follow-suit.html

vickster

Legendary Member
SYP have said 20MPH areas are unenforceable so aren't going to do anything.

"In 2019, South Yorkshire Police said they would not enforce 20mph zones and confirmed no drivers had been prosecuted for exceeding limits."
There are speed cameras in 20mph areas though, so there must be enforcement through NIPs?

Merton has a 20mph speed limit on all roads I believe including a previously 40mph dual carriageway (not that there is much enforcement in the borough :rolleyes:)

Top Bottom