20 or 23

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roadiewill

Would I gain anything from using 700x20 tyres this summer instead of 700x23, or would the ride be too uncomfortable for there to be any real plus?

You would gain nothing in terms of speed, but you would gain a harsh ride and decreased cornering grip.

yenrod

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
You would gain nothing in terms of speed, but you would gain a harsh ride and decreased cornering grip.

WRONG !

You gain speed less tyre on the road !

Isnt that obvious :smile:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
yenrod said:
WRONG !

You gain speed less tyre on the road !

Isnt that obvious :smile:
Only if the road surface is like a billiard table. On normal roads you bounce around too much on narrow tyres, that's why the pros use 22 or 23mm as standard.

I rode 20s for a while years ago and they were awful.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nope - 23mm have been proven to roll better and are faster. I've used 20mm for years, but switched to 23mm last year - they stay on the road better, are a little more compliant, and are far better suited to normal road use. Unless you ride on smooth tarmac, the 20mm might be quicker, but not on these 'chippings' that are common !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's the way it's gone 23mm standard - Mich Pro Race 2 or 3's are the way (or conti GP4000) is you want the fastest tyres - blooming great !!!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Agree, 23c Michelin PR2's or PR3's will be about the fastest tyre out there.
I also ran 20c for a few years and my dentist was very happy to have extra work. The only time I see 20c's on the road is on deep section aero wheels at TTs...but as Jacomus says, you have to be fast to gain any aero advantage.

RedBike

if anything get 25s, only problem is they don't fit past the brakes.
Thats what the quick release on the brakes is for?

Stick with 23s
Grand prix 4000's or Michelin pro 2/3 are well worth the money.

Have you got those pedals on; and that bike setup correctly yet? (You can't set the bike up correctly if you've got the wrong pedals on!)

gf3

Keith Oates

Janner
I use 20's on one bike and 23's on another and don't feel any difference on grip etc. I also don't notice any difference on speed but then I'm not exactly a 500 watt output Pro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom