200%totally confused about which bike to buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi BTFB - no worries.

Yeah the Kenesis looks a great bike. It would be even better if it weren't Alu tho !

Looks like it has a good compromise of (near) race bike geometry with a slightly more upright position(longer headtube)

It would be certainly lighter than the Quest(altho not that mu, altho the Quest would be the more durable(and perhaps) longer lasting bike.

However - and I don't mean to be unkind here - I just wonder how long those wheels will last with your near 16 st on the bike !

Have you actually been out and ridden a few of these bikes BTFB, it's whole different world to your tourer, which you say you want but the proof is in the trying.

Uh-huh! Black lab, soft as a brush, 6 months old now. He was introduced here. He's a bit bigger now though.

Use to have cats but son no1 is allergic. He's been a great addition to the family.

Since compact frames hit the scene 10 years ago I've seen a growing number of riders on 'child-like' sized bikes! Yes, compact is compact but this shouldn't mean riding a bike way too small with a 400mm post and 140mm stem on a 54cm frame.

Why not ? Like I said the idea (with compacts) is to try and keep the frame as small as possible (for greater lightness/stifness etc) whilst keeping the correct position.

My Ghisallo has(I think) a 43cm seat tube (and I ride a 55cm Centre to top normal bike) - with it's 13.5 cm head tube and the stem flipped up (which looks great as it follows the natural line of the sloping top tube) I can schieve my normal position - stiffer than an equiv horizontal TT bike and it rides superbly. Don't knock until you've tried it.

Ask Mark Lovatt - he rode his Ghisallo (when sponsered by Litespeed) to 4 Tour of the Peak wins !

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

One thing I liked about the kenesis was that it has mudguard fixings and a rack fixing...to me that says I could use it for speedier lightweight hotel tours instead of the galaxy perhaps?

I just wonder how long those wheels will last with your near 16 st on the bike !

Good question. I am guilty of assuming that the frame is the thing that supports all the weight, when clearly it would be the wheels I suppose. I have given a lot of thought to Carbon/alu/steel frames but never once even thought about the wheels strength. So...educate me about those wheels...what would be the problem...which wheels would be better...I guess it's like much else in so much as I get what I pay for, but cost is a prime issue here for me.

If I went for the Kenesis frame say...which wheels would suit best for the bike and to carry me around?

P.H

Über Member
Buy a £400 Ribble Audax, ride it for a year, sell it for around £200 and you'll have gained more experience and knowledge than a thousand threads on a forum.
You'll then be far more likely to buy a bike you'll be happy with for years. I don't for one moment expect you to follow that advice, it's not the first time I've offered it, but ask around how many people got it right first time.

P.H

Über Member
Bigtallfatbloke said:
One thing I liked about the kenesis was that it has mudguard fixings and a rack fixing...to me that says I could use it for speedier lightweight hotel tours instead of the galaxy perhaps?

If you're interested in a Kenisis, the Racelight T or TK would suit you better. If you give them a ring you'll find them very helpfull. Scandium frames have a reputation for being fragile, the advantage is weight, but at your weight (same as mine) and with suitable wheels you're not going to notice the slight weight difference.
I have a Racelight T, Hewitt handbuilt wheels and Campag triple, It flys compared to my steel tourers.

kyuss

Veteran
itisaboutthebike said:
This exactly why i don't like Alu
http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=19117

I know it can happen on a steel frame - but it's much less common

Not sure how linking to a thread about a cracked carbon frame backs up your dislike of aluminium or makes your recommendations against it relevant.

itisaboutthebike said:
...your last post proves that you are short of knowledge.
;)

P.H said:
Scandium frames have a reputation for being fragile, the advantage is weight, but at your weight (same as mine) and with suitable wheels you're not going to notice the slight weight difference.
Scandium is actually much stronger than regular aluminium and the reason they have a reputation for fragility is because its extra strength is normally exploited to make ultralight race bikes by thinning the tube walls for lighter weight and some manufacturers take it too far. As far as I know the Kinesis has used Scandium to make a comfortable strong bike, not an ultra light one, so durability isn't likely to be too big an issue. The fact they saw fit to put mudguard and pannier fitting on suggest they expect it to be up for some fairly rough use.

Anyway, I'm 17 stone at the moment (was as much as 18 stone) and apart from 2 years on carbon, have ridden aluminium bikes my whole life without problem.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I have just e mailed Kinesis for some help on sizing/spec etc given my measurements I posted above. i really like the look of that bike, maybe they can make it happen.

Danny

Legendary Member
Have you thought about getting a custom built frame from someone like Dave Yates?

You could get a frame made that would fit you exactly, and then build then rest yourself - or possibly even get Dave to do it within your budget.

Top Bottom