200%totally confused about which bike to buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kyuss

Veteran
Bigtallfatbloke said:
excellent thanks...
ok which groupset option in the drop down menu?

..also (bear with me I'm clueless) which set of bars, saddle, headset?

Groupset is entirely up to you. Being on the tall side you'll want either the 172.5mm or 175mm crank length. Take a look at what length you are running at the moment and if it's comfortable stick with it. I'm not sure 2.5mm makes a big difference either way.

The rest depends on how fit you are and/or whether you'd prefer a compact or triple. Personally I'd get the compact with a 12/25 cassette but you might want a triple to make the hills easier especially if you plan on carrying extra weight in the way of panniers. I notice the groupset comes with a braze on front mech so you'll need to budget for a braze on adapter (the one for 31.8 seat tube diameter).

For the rest, here's a few ideas, but have a google and see what bargains you can find.

Headset: £23 or £30. Loads more out there for similar prices just make sure it's integrated 1/18th with 36/45 angle bearings.
Bars: £30 I'd recommend oversize ones (31.8mm clamp), they are generally stiffer, handy for larger guys like us. What width you need will be a combination of personal preference and your shoulder width (probably the 44cm ones going by your measurements).
Stem: £27. Make sure that if you get oversize bars you order the oversize stem.
Saddle: These are a very personal thing but the Charge Spoon gets good reviews for something so cheap. £20

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Kyuss..many thanks...I will take a look at those. Seems to me all I need is to buy the right frame then add th ebits and learn how to assemble as I go along...famous last words eh!

In fact thinking it over...if I 'build' it bit by bit over severla months I should be able to afford better bits right...hmm....

..ok which wheels?

kyuss

Veteran
Building it yourself will be one of the most satisfying things you will ever do on a bike. Dead easy too, I'm a confirmed ham-fisted bufoon and with the right tools and the Park site for reference it only took an afternoon to put my first one together.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

with the right tools and the Park site for reference it only took an afternoon to put my first one together

...so that'll take me a month then lol!

Seriously, I'll need to budget for the 'right tools' as I have nothing but a multitool.

P.H

Über Member
Bigtallfatbloke said:
Ok..so if I ordered one of these frames in a 60cm

Are you sure that's the right size? It's not the longest of top tubes. My Knenisis needed to be one size from my Cannondale to get a comparable fit.

kyuss

Veteran
P.H said:
Are you sure that's the right size? It's not the longest of top tubes. My Knenisis needed to be one size from my Cannondale to get a comparable fit.

I'd reckon the 60cm is about right for BTFB. I'm only half an inch shorter and ride a 60cm Kinesis with a similar effective top tube length, and with a 110mm stem it fits like a glove. IMO it's much better to use a longer stem on a smaller bike than one too short on a big one, and for me at least the biggest Kinesis would certainly be too big.

P.H

Über Member
kyuss said:
I'd reckon the 60cm is about right for BTFB.

You could be right and that may be the right size, I just think £550 is a lot of money to spend on could.
I'm 6' 2.5" My Racelight is 63cm with a 120mm stem, a size based on an independant fitting session and a chat with Kinesis based on that.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Here is a reply regarding the Kinesesis

Hi ,

David Arthur [rcuk] promised that the full review would be up this week, so this should help you to make your mind up. It promises to be a very impressive write up.

For sizing, I would say that the 63cm frame should work for you. The effective top tube on this is 59.2cm [center to center 58.3], how does this compare to your current frame?

Headtube is 21.5, so this will help with a more comfortable position. If you wanted a slightly less stretched position, you could use the 60cm frame [effective t.tube 58.2], with more seatpost extension, but, I think the 63 should suit you fine.

It would be a good idea to compare some dimensions to your current frame [if you are happy with it's sizing!]

We do a 'build kit' which the shop can order to go with your choice of frame size/colour etc, this works out at £1319 with the GFondo frameset, so that fits your budget nicely! Bike Radar tested our Racelight Tk with the same build kit here. So this will give you an idea of how well all the parts work etc. The wheels are pretty tough, so I would have no concerns there.

You can see the Tk build here it's just the same kit as used for the GFondo [but with longer drop brakes and minus the 'guards if you don't need them].

Scandium: It's a special Aluminium alloy that stays tough around the weld area after welding, even on thin wall tubing. So we can make the tubes thin and light + still maintain strength. Our tubes are made by Easton, so they are top quality. The ride is much like steel, with a lively feel but with the response and light weight of aluminium. The carbon stays tune out some road buzz for comfort over distance. This makes the frame material an ideal alternative to carbon.

Biketrax can order and build you a bike, no problem.

I am getting superb feedback about this frameset, so I'm sure you wouldn't regret it,

And her is one regarding the Orbea bike:

Hi ,

Thanks for the mails (below). I have now had the 2009 range details from Orbea and we can still supply the Orbea 2008 Onix carbon frame to be built in to any specification of your choice, be it SRAM or Shimano or Campagnolo.

The 2009 SRAM Rival is much improved over the 2008 version, but now carries a slightly higher price tag for the improvements. I have just fitted it to my new bike and it works and looks much better than the 2008 groupset.

Shipping the bike is simple and we do leave a minimum of re-fitting required before you ride the bike. The gears, etc are already set up and as for the pedals we leave it to your choice which pedal type/cost you require, rather than assume you would like a certain type/cost. Many riders already have pedals and would not want another pair of pedals if they are not required. A virtual sizing would be easy to cover 95-99% of the job with your suggestion an easy back-drop if required.

The 60cm bike would have to be ordered and the current lead time is approx. 3/4 weeks (sometimes quicker).

If you need any further info please do not hesitate to get in touch.

....It's down to these two bikes...they both give me a serious H**d*n:biggrin:

....I liek th eidea of building my own, but the sram 2009 on a 2008 onix frame just has to be a serious bit of kit and I wouldnt need to builkd it myself....

...;)

One big +point in favour of the Kinesesis is that the LBS concerned has done a good job for me on two previous visits, the Orbea dealer is a days drive away

Kinesis sounds good. It excites me more than the Orbea and just fits your 'wants' better. Is there no chance of finding one to ride first?

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I am thinking the same. Thng is I am having a hard time understaning why a non carbon frame is as expensive as a carbon frame...

P.H

Über Member
I'm looking forward to that review, if it rides like steel I'd take it over carbon at any price.
If it's Epic Cycles you're considering, they stock both, are nice people, with some great toys they'll let you play on. Well worth a visit, go with an open mind, spend some time there and see what you end up with. I went with a friend, they knew I wasn't buying and I still got a bike to play on.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Ok how does this sound for a shopping list?

http://www.shinybikes.com/bikes/campagnolo-veloce-groupset.html
Groupset £285

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/p...ight_Gran_Fondo_Limited_Edition_Frameset_2008
Frame £552

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/15199/Reynolds_Solitude_Wheelset
Wheels £315

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=24317
Stem £45

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24663
Handlebars £58

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Pro_Adhesive_Gel_Bar_Tape/5360036005/
Bar tape £12

http://www.totalcycling.com/index.p...tires_road_clincher/TI_VITTORIA_EVO_CX23.html
Tyres £52

What have I forgotten? Should I change something?
I am confused if Campagnolo veloce is better than Shimano 105. Also do i need brake and gear cables made by Campagnolo if I have one of their veloce groupsets, or will shimano cable be ok?
Bottom bracket...erm...campagnolo I guess to match the groupset...but which one?

..or would it jus tbe easier and better to run with this kit:
http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/product.php?id=39

??

I could then try to assemble it all myself and learn something in th eprocess.

Top Bottom