200%totally confused about which bike to buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kyuss

Veteran
I've had a few beers and getting cocky, and seeing as how I'm about the same size as you (and a fair bit heavier) I thought I'd add to this thread a bit.:smile:

Try not to get hung up too much on manufacturers quoted size, as these days with compact and semi compact frames inside leg measurement and therefore seat tube sizing is almost totally irrelevant. Reach to the bars is the single most important thing for comfort so ideal top tube length should be what you are looking at. For what it's worth I'm not far off your height at 6"2' and all my bikes have a 58.5cm top tube with a 110mm stem or 57.5cm with a 120mm stem. That means I'm on frames ranging from 55cm all the way up to a 61cm depending on how the manufacturer measures the frame and how much the top tube slopes. For what it's worth my Kinesis KiC2 is a 60cm. It does come down to personal preference though, as itisabouthtebike's preference for small frames shows that not everyone is comfortable on what is generally recommended..

Bigtallfatbloke said:
Good question. I am guilty of assuming that the frame is the thing that supports all the weight, when clearly it would be the wheels I suppose. I have given a lot of thought to Carbon/alu/steel frames but never once even thought about the wheels strength. So...educate me about those wheels...what would be the problem...which wheels would be better...I guess it's like much else in so much as I get what I pay for, but cost is a prime issue here for me.

If I went for the Kenesis frame say...which wheels would suit best for the bike and to carry me around?

Don't be put off by itisaboutthebike's views on wheels, they seem to be as dated as his views on frame materials. Some low spoke count wheels are very strong. I rode a pair of Xero XCR1 (20 rear, 16 front) for about 2 years and weighed just over 16 stone at the time, and while they weren't the stiffest wheels (and I wouldn't recommend them for this fact alone) they didn't exactly collapse under my weight. Problem was that when they did eventually break a spoke after 2 years (and unfortunately that's almost certainly going to happen with any wheel when you're our size) it went so far out of true that it was unrideable and left me with a long walk home. For this reason alone I use nothing less than 32 spokes these days which with a bit of nipple tweaking will still get you home with a broken spoke. I'd go the handbuilt route in either 32 or 36 spokes, that way spokes will be readily available from the lbs and easy to fix should things go pringle shaped. Think about the roadies favourite, the Mavic Open Pro on whatever hub your budget will allow, but there's also the likes of Planet X who can build nice light 32 hole wheelsets for as little as £130. The world's your oyster to be honest.

GrahamG

Guru
Dannyg said:
Have you thought about getting a custom built frame from someone like Dave Yates?

You could get a frame made that would fit you exactly, and then build then rest yourself - or possibly even get Dave to do it within your budget.

This is what I did (not Dave Yates though).

I've got to agree with the suggestions for 'audax' style bikes - I've gone for one and it still screams 'ride me faster!' :ohmy:

I managed to get a frame custom made, then some hand-made wheels (the boring old open pros on ultergra hubs) and put the whole bike together for about £100 more than your budget. It takes guards (with clearance for 28's) and a rack if needs be. The fitting by Paul Hewitt combined with quality steel & carbon fork make this the most comfortable bike I've ever sat on (compared to several 531 frames, an 853 and a Ribble Audax).

Bike%20051.jpg

Don't be put off by itisaboutthebike's views on wheels, they seem to be as dated as his views on frame materials

Er - I don't think my liking of Ti is outdated - the material has only been used widely as a frame material for the last 15 years or so !

as itisabouthtebike's preference for small frames shows that not everyone is comfortable on what is generally recommended

I'm not a particular fan of small frames - but in order to take advantage of reduced weight/increased repsonsiveness etc over the years I've found that i can remain comfortable on what I previously thought was too small a frame for me (having started off off on a 59cm - centre to top - 30 years ago, then riding 57cm for many years and now going down to 55cm - and I'm still the same height as I was when I was 30)

Re: wheels - all I was trying basically say is that some wheels have a rider weight limit, and it may be worth checkng with the manufacturer first.

Sorry I thought the http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=19117 post was referring to Alu ! A reason I don't have any carbon frames !

I'd agree the Kyuss - these days I'm more concerned with head tube length as this determines at what height I can get the bars to (to my preference - and hence correct positon) without resorting to loads of spacers. And also top tube - altho this can be compensated for by different length stem.

Also be wary of potential toe overlap on some frames - with or without mudguards (if you're planning to use them) - although I doubt whether this would be an issue with the frames you're looking at. This is difficult to tell from spec sheets (unless they quote front centre length).

I do like the geometry of the Kinesis and the paint job looks superb........now if it were Ti or 953............

Are you planning to put mudguards on it ?

What size typres are you planning on using ?

I ask because it takes shallow drop brakes (39-49mm as oppossed to 39-57 which are the norm for bikes designed for mudguards), which would probably mean it mite be a tight squeeze using 25mm tyres (which I'd recommend for your weight).

kyuss

Veteran
Frame: £552
Ultegra groupset: £342
Wheels: Open Pro on Ultegra hubs £165 for the pair.
Total so far: £1059

Assuming £50 to get that lot delivered, that leaves just under £200 for tyres (£40), bars (£30-40), stem (£20-30), saddle (£20-30) and headset (£30) plus the hollowtechII BB tool (£10) needed to put it together, the rest will fit with nothing more than a set of allen keys. You don't even need to budget for a seatpost because I think the Gran Fondo frameset comes with a Selcof one.

Easily doable.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

first off this is going to be my daily loop bike and i want it to be fast. I will use it all year around and so yes it will need Mudguards in winter. I would also want to be able to fit a rack occassionally. I would like the spec to be easy to replace a part anywhere abroad ...so fancy flash bits which nobody in Germnay or france ever stocks are out.

I have a heavy tourer...this bike is for fast fun first and foremost.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Frame: £552
Ultegra groupset: £342
Wheels: Open Pro on Ultegra hubs £165 for the pair.
Total so far: £1059

Assuming £50 to get that lot delivered, that leaves just under £200 for tyres, bars, seatpost, saddle and headset plus the couple of tools needed to put it together. In fact, you might not even need the seatpost because I think the Gran Fondo frameset comes with a Selcof one.

Easily doable.

excellent thanks...
ok which groupset option in the drop down menu?

..also (bear with me I'm clueless) which set of bars, saddle, headset?

I hate to say this BTFB but that's what I would call an Audax bike. That said I think it's perfect and a lovely looking frame.

GrahamG

Guru
itisaboutthebike said:
Graham G - nice bike - whats the frame material ?

Thanks, the main triangle is Columbus Life with slightly beefier columbus tubing, I can't remember which, for the rear end (to accommodate use with a rear rack). Not sure on make/model of forks; carbon with alu steerer and m/guard eyes.

Looks like you're gonna go with the Kinesis. With Ultegra it should be a super bike.

I think you'll find it a big improvement (in terms of handing repsonse etc) over your Galaxy.

Are you going compact(34/50) or having a triple chainset ?

Be interesting how you get on fitting mudguards if you go for 25mm tyres.

GrahamG

Guru
Nice! Good idea to build it up yourself - you'll learn a good bit along the way, and probably take a bit of the fear/mysticism out of cycle mechanics (it's dead easy until you look at full sus mtbs!)

Top Bottom