2005 Specialized Sirrus Elite crank snapped: Replace just cranks or full drivetrain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
The right-side crank on my trusty Spesh commuter snapped tonight as I was setting off at a roundabout (Sugino 52/42/30), and I wondered whether it would be better to replace the whole drivetrain, given the years of service I've had from it, or whether a new pair of cranks would be okay?

upload_2017-4-14_2-49-47.png

upload_2017-4-14_2-49-56.png

I'm guessing Superglue wouldn't work in this case? :laugh:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Personally, I would stand at the side of the road, waving the broken crank around my head so everyone could marvel at my power.

3 seconds later, when I feel really foolish, I would start to trudge home. On route I would be thinking, new crank arms or new chainset, but not new drive train. By the time I got home, I would have googled both options for availability and price and somehow convinced myself - new bike time!

Being serious for a moment, it looks like your outer and inner rings are ok, but the middle looks like it has a bit of wear. How about a new chainset

Drago

Legendary Member
I'd go for new cranks. If the rings are OK I'd re use them. If the chain has some miles on it then I'd replace that while the tools are out.

si_c

Guru
For an absolute bargain, look at Spa Cycles. £35 for a triple.

That's what i was going to suggest. Spa cycles touring triple, and use the original chainrings.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s109p2003/SPA-CYCLES-XD-2-Touring-Cranks

And then mount the broken chainset on a plinth as a trophy.

Mr Celine

Discordian
:eek:I have the same chainset on my 2006 Sirrus Comp.
[Goes to garage, checks for cracks]
Still OK, no sign of any cracks. @Shaun must eat more weetabix than I do.

I found the 52 42 30 a bit overgeared and tended to use the middle ring most. When that wore out I changed to 50 39 28 which I find gives a much more usable range of gears for my hilly part of the world.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Thanks for the advice / links. I've popped it into the LBS and they're going to fit a new crankset, BB, chain, brake shoes and give it a good service (I never seem to find the time, and am a bit cack-handed with practical stuff). :smile:

Crankarm

Guru
The right-side crank on my trusty Spesh commuter snapped tonight as I was setting off at a roundabout (Sugino 52/42/30), and I wondered whether it would be better to replace the whole drivetrain, given the years of service I've had from it, or whether a new pair of cranks would be okay?

View attachment 347314

View attachment 347315

I'm guessing Superglue wouldn't work in this case? :laugh:

When the crappy Ritchey left crank snapped on my Sirrus Comp about 10 years ago I replaced the whole chainset with a Shimano Ultegra 5600 triple chainset and Ultegra bottom bracket which is still going strong. I also put on an Ultegra rear cassette, fitted a new 105 rear derailleur and new chain which transformed the transmission for the better and making the bike lighter as the Ritchey chainset was heavy and crap.

Top Bottom