2009 Northern Rock Cyclone Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
There's about 4 or 5 biggies on the 60 miler, so I guess just keep practising... I presume you've checked out the route on the NRock website? As you're not that far away, perhaps take your bike up in the car and try out the biggest one, which is near Ryal. Good luck, anyway! :biggrin:

KEEF

Veteran
Cheers I will do that.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Nice one, loafer... here's few off the top of my head...
First 'proper' hill is at about 20 miles. I think it's called Ritton Bank.
Watch the road surface in the dip at Forestburn Gate (21.5 miles)... it's very potholed, and easy to pick up a pinch puncture here... try not to go down it in a group, so as you can pick your line well.
Miles 23-24 = long haul up, looks worse than it is. Nice fast downhill after.
Miles 43-45 (Billsmoor) is what I'd call a 'significant' hill.
Another big hill out of Otterburn, from about miles 53-56, but I've never ridden this one.
Just after Bellingham, at about mile 68, there's a hill I'd call "a bit of a bu99er"
2 absolute sods just before Ryal (about mile 83)... straight road, two very steep climbs one after the other with little recovery time between them. They're the last big test, and it's pretty much easy going after that.
Generally road surfaces good, but in places tend to be potholed at edges, so keep away from the sides if you can.
The ride itself (I did 60 miler last year) was excellently organised, and timing stops have more bananas than a troupe of monkeys could ever want, plus lots of isotonic drinks, etc. Was a great atmosphere, and I had loads of good chats going round too. I only saw one accident (fella with an artificial leg who fell off and got hit by following bike, cutting his cheek... claret everywhere, there was).

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Fnaar said:
Watch the road surface in the dip at Forestburn Gate (21.5 miles)... it's very potholed, and easy to pick up a pinch puncture here....

Made more difficult by the fact that you are entering into shadow from the overhanging trees so can't actually see the road for a couple of seconds until your eyes adjust to the light.

Fnaar said:
I only saw one accident (fella with an artificial leg who fell off and got hit by following bike, cutting his cheek... claret everywhere, there was).

I was straight behind the following bike. Girlfriend (who didn't eat any swans) tried ringing for help but couldn't get a connection. I rode back along the route to get the police. Sorry, should have said hello to you.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
You're right about the shadowy bit at F'burn...

Yes, I heard someone offer to go back to get help... must've been your good self... don't get the swans bit ???:biggrin:

bonj2

Has anyone else got the ride booklet in the post - on page 13 entitled 'Cyclone challenge - prizes' it says
"The prizes are not awarded for finishing places as these events are not races"
then on page 17, it says
"Remove a tear-off strip on one end of the band and join both ends together around your wrist - not too tight as your wrist will swell during the race"
so it IS a race! :whistle:

Top Bottom