2009 Northern Rock Cyclone Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theloafer

Legendary Member
well folks the day after the 101 cyclone and am happy to say that has to be the hardest ride i`ve done in a long time ...but it was a great day very well run and a great job done by the t a volunteers at the feeding + control pionts for those interested...times were
leg total
1 forstburn... 1.30.28 1.30.28
2 bilsmoor..... 2.34.53 4.05.21
3 redesmouth.2.29.54 6.35.15
4stamfordham 1.44.03 8.19.15
finish 0.51.03 9.10.18... not to bad for an old stick.:sad:
av speed...12.6
max 36.9
ride time..8.19.19

bonj2

theloafer said:
well folks the day after the 101 cyclone and am happy to say that has to be the hardest ride i`ve done in a long time ...but it was a great day very well run and a great job done by the t a volunteers at the feeding + control pionts for those interested...times were
leg total
1 forstburn... 1.30.28 1.30.28
2 bilsmoor..... 2.34.53 4.05.21
3 redesmouth.2.29.54 6.35.15
4stamfordham 1.44.03 8.19.15
finish 0.51.03 9.10.18... not to bad for an old stick.:tongue:
av speed...12.6
max 36.9
ride time..8.19.19
9.10 but you were riding only 8.19 - so you spent 41 minutes in pubs then?:biggrin:
it's a sportive you know not an audax! :biggrin:

it was a great ride, really enjoyed it
I got 5:44:51 - only 5 mins off gold!
forestburn 1:11:09 1:11:09
bilsmoor 1:37:07 2:48:16
redesmouth 1:34:33 4:22:49
stamfordham 54:19 5:17:08
finish 27:43 5:44:51

I overtook somebody in a cyclechat jersey just before the ryals... wonder who it was?

learnt quite a bit about group riding, something i'm not that experienced in.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I aint not never done no nother sportives, except the N Rock 63 miler last year, which I did in 4hr 19.
As mentioned in Neslon's 'anusol' thread (:smile:) I did this in 7hr35, total riding time of 6hr 56.
As for last year, fantastically well organisised, loads of bananas, energy bars and liquid (except at top of Billsmoor... all liquid snaffled when I got there, but loads of rain to make up for it). Lovely countryside, but I'm a local (by process of living here for last 6 yrs) so I love it anyway.
Saw no CC jerseys (and I wasn't wearing mine (:smile: ) but I met (after the ride) the Loafer (nice to meet you again, good sir) and I spoke to Bonj on the phone (next time ride a bit slower, and we might get the chance for a beer (:smile::smile:).
Got rained on twice, and met the unlucky fellas who took a wrong turn (see here), finished in hot sunshine.

Official time 7:35:and a bit
Total riding time: 6:56:49
Average spd: 14.54
Max spd: 36.4

bonj2

loads of rain?:smile::smile: I experienced two showers, both of which lasted approximately 5 and 7 seconds respectively.

bonj2

Fnaar said:
Saw no CC jerseys (and I wasn't wearing mine (:smile: )

so it wasn't hugo or fnaar or the loafer... must have been somebody...! come on who was it :smile:
Flying monkey? i know he lives up geordie land, must have been him.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
bonj said:
loads of rain?:smile::smile: I experienced two showers, both of which lasted approximately 5 and 7 seconds respectively.

I got very wettish going up to Billsmoor, and also very wettish going up Troughend Common. Both lasted about 5 mins, but I got very dryish on the other bits, by way of compensation. Never got to show you my mudguards, either

Hugo15

Über Member
It absolutely lashed it down around Bellingham for about 20 minutes when I went through. I was soaked to the skin and it was like riding through a river at times. Soon dried out when the sun came back out.

Hugo15

Über Member
bonj said:
that SiS drink stuff was really nice i thought - banana flavour was it?

I quite liked it too. I thought it tasted of bananas but I didn't know they did banana flavour. I can't see either PSP22 or GO in a banana flavour when I look on Wiggle.

KEEF

Veteran
Well I did it (62 miles) I can't believe it.Legs went at mile 41 and the Ryals defeated me:blush: but I carried on and finished (6 hours 44mins 49 secs with many a rest but who cares I did it) A great day well organised great atmosphere. Thanks to every rider who gave me encouragement as they passed. Can't wait to do another and I will defeat the Ryals next time! :smile:

Special thanks to David.

Cheers Keef:laugh:

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Nice one Keef
the 62 miler was a challenge for me last year, and having done it, I stepped up to the 100, which I really enjoyed... so, keep at it, and well done! :smile:

ash68

bonj said:
so it wasn't hugo or fnaar or the loafer... must have been somebody...! come on who was it ;)
Flying monkey? i know he lives up geordie land, must have been him.

Could have been me!! Wore my orange and black long sleeve top on the day. I slowed down a tad before the ryals as i was worried about getting cramp on those beasts. quite a few riders passed me there.I finished the ride about 2 p.m. if that helps to gauge times and places. i did 5hrs 57 this time. 22 mins slower than last year, mainly due to lack of training this year, plus the route was a mile longer too.

I've only ever seen one other cycle chat clad rider and that was Trio down in one of the yorkshire sportives last year.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Oh dear... did other 100 milers get the email from the organisers about gates left open in fields after Redesmouth timing stop (the third one). A guy I was riding with stopped to close one gate that was open, but can't remember any others...

Top Bottom