2009 Northern Rock Cyclone Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Hope Peter Harrison doesn't mind me reproducing the text of the email here...
worth bearing in mind, folks...

As you are all aware I changed the route slightly this year to incorporate the climb out of Redesmouth. This was the climb up to the 3rd feed station. This road has two gates plus a number of cattle grids on it which is not unusual on small country roads.
I naively assumed that all riders would open and close these gates as they passed through them as there are cattle, sheep and horses in the adjacent fields. However I was mistaken.
I have taken a call from a very irate farmer this afternoon who, quite rightly, was very annoyed that the gates were left open and that some gates at the sides of the cattle grids were left propped open. As a result the cattle, sheep and valuable horses had strayed and farm hands had to be employed to round them up, separate them and get them back to their respective owners. I am now having to pay for this task in order to placate the farmers in the area.
There could have been a serious accident if the cattle or horses had strayed onto the main roads.
I realise that not everyone would have known the gates had to be closed when they passed through but common sense should have told everyone that if there is livestock in a field and there is a gate between the fields it is there for a reason.
The farmer also voiced the concerns of the local community about the amount of rubbish discarded into the fields. Again everyone had been asked to behave responsibly but my requests seem to have fallen on some deaf ears.
I am sure that no one wants to see the scenario where the local population do not want us in the area and start to actively cause problems as happened in the Etape Caledonia.
I am having to eat a lot of humble pie as well as having to pay out money unnecessarily and would just ask everyone to act responsibly in future.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
100 mile is a bit far for me maybe- managed 66 miles on first day of C2C from Whitehaven, so maybe next year?
4 of us were on the C2C this last week-end which we'd planned at Christmas so missed the Cyclone- hope to be there next year though as it passes through the village!

Archie_tect

Ponteland... often up at Bolam via Whalton and I've been down into Rothbury and back via Netherwitton once [that was hard!] but haven't tried cycling out of Morpeth up the hill yet!
Still to try Whickham Bank!
Cheers,
Chris aka Archie_tect

KEEF

Veteran
Thanks Fnaar. I'm really enjoying my cycling now as my fitness improves.:ohmy: I also noticed the amount of discarded bottles etc along the route I do not understand why people do this. Mr Archie tect come over to Burnopfield, hills in hills out!:welcome: Try Busty Bank nice going down but coming home agh:laugh:

Cheers Keef

Archie_tect

KEEF said:
Mr Archie tect come over to Burnopfield, hills in hills out!:smile: Try Busty Bank nice going down but coming home agh:laugh:

Cheers Keef

Hallo Keef,
I promised myself that I'd get up Whickham Bank... did it 2 weeks ago and rode out to Burnopfield then down the hill to Rowlands Gill and home via Derwent Walk and Newburn Hill. One lad [well I say lad, he's 49!] lives in Rowlands Gill and we keep meaning to ride up to Park Head for a bacon butty one Sunday if you're out and about?
:smile:

neslon

Some of the climbs on the 100m profile look a bit vertical. I'll still be doing it though.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
got-to-get-fit said:
Cheers Fnaar ...really enjoyed the christmas cracker ....see 'Christmas cracker post'

Im gagging for the NR now ...have you entered for 2010?

Yes, got my entry in (oo'er) back in November :biggrin:

Top Bottom