2011 Cycling goals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mike-L

1. Tackle first 200K /125 mile day ride - Audax GPS or DIY.

2. Do at least a 50 miler every dry weekend (family notwithstanding!)

3. Break 29 mins 10 (its a hilly 10) + maybe go for 28 towards the back end.

4. Break ave. 19 mph over a flattish 50 / 18 mph over a Cotswolds 50. That's basically east or west out the front door.

5. C2C Way of the Roses - detour via Knaresborough for comfy kip at my mother's.

6. Lose another stone to get to my 'fit' weight of 11 stone.

7. New endurance wheels (Neutrons or equiv) to replace the bulletproof but lumpy old MA40s.

8. Compete in BWC on the Brommie (just down the road)

9. If I am still cycling-obsessed in the summer, start to build my 'dream Spordax bike' - Planet X Ti, Athena, Neutrons*.

10. Maybe join a club/group ride.

*Watching vorsprung's progress but carbon hasn't hooked me yet.

goose11

1) Stick to a training programme
2) Learn to love the pain in my knees associated with climbing
3) get out on at least 3-5 sportive events as well as..
4) Complete the Etape
5) Go to a full or half day mechanical skills workshop
6) Try not to be the guy who has SOME of the gear and no idea

mgarl10024

Über Member
Hi all,

Mileage: 3000 (I started commuting in April, and bought my new Bike in late May. On the new bike I've done 1380 miles in approx 6 months, so this feels a good goal for the whole year).
Weight: -3st (I've been too heavy for some time. I was hoping that 1380 miles of cycling would have done something, but whilst I am fitter, I've not lost anything. I'm hoping that some of the fat has been turned into muscle, but I think I need to seriously look at intake more closely as this is where the problem is. I also hope that when lighter I can contemplate getting a road bike as I'm concerned that right now it'd be a bit uncomfortable on wrists etc.).
Distance in Single Trip: 50 miles. I've done 44 miles, so I'm not far off.

Finally, is to keep enjoying it. A year ago, I would never have said I would have enjoyed cycle commuting and have been surprised at how much I have - the sense of achievement; the meeting new people (especially on here); the seeing new sights; the trying new routes... All of the above goals are meaningless if I stop enjoying it.

Best of luck to you all,

MG

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
2) Learn to love the pain in my knees associated with climbing
With respect, that is not a sensible thing to do - low gears are your friend!

I have dodgy hips but I can climb 20% hills in Yorkshire pain-free using a triple chainset and a big sprocket (30/28 gear).

Last year my climbing bike was out of action for a few months so I had to use my Cannondale whose lowest gear is 39/29. One hilly ride was enough to set my hips off.

C

chillyuk

Over the last 50 odd years I have achieved as much as I want to on a bike. Now I just enjoy riding it, with no pressure, no ambition and no real plan. However I do have one ambition. I bought a unicycle last year but have had little chance to really try and get to grips with it. That is my ambition for 2011, to become competent on one wheel.

oldcarltonfan

Veteran
1. Lose 1/2 a stone or so (easy when the weather is better).

2. Keep said 1/2 stone off during winter 11/12 (never managed it yet, despite turbo trainer et al, but worth a try).

3. Get used to slightly longer days in the saddle, i.e 75 - 100 miles instead of 30 - 50.

4. Use that training to complete our planned charity ride across France Sep 11.

5. Complete said charity ride in better shape than the 'young pups' I'm going with (some chance).

6. Persuade SWMBO to become as 'enthusiastic' a stoker for my tandem as my son.

I assess options 1, 3 and 4 as straightforward enough, even probable, 2 and 5 as possible and 6 as no chance!

Norry1

Legendary Member
1. Ride 3,650 miles (and run 365 miles)

2. Complete LEJOG

3. Do a 100 miler

4. Do a 200Km

5. Pick up some bike mechanic skills.

Martin

Well I easily cracked 1. (but not the running part).

2. Was brilliant

3. First 100 was the Northern Cyclone

4. Recently did a DIY with my 2 brothers

5. Hmm, slow progress - but just about a tick. ......

Now to set some 2012 Goals

Martin

1) Bearing in mind so many people above have mentioned wanting to do a FNRttC, I guess the first goal is make sure I don't lose anyone off the back on a FNRttC!
2) Do a fast-ish charity ride from Durness to Dover in June.
3) Loose a bit of weight.
4) Do a bit more cycling generally.

Oh dear. 2/4.

1) Managed to lose Andrew off the back of the Cardiff FNRttC. Then due to 4), no more night rides.
2) Did the charity ride.
3) Lost some weight, and am now at my target weight of 75 kg (down from 85 kg 2 years ago).
4) Didn't do as much mileage as 2010, for personal reasons unfortunately.

Guess I'll just have to try and do a bit more cycling in 2012.

potsy

Rambler
My goal now is to ride up that hill with Colinj and witness his sub 20 minute attempt. :thumbsup:
More miles than this year and a hell of a lot of weight loss to enable me to keep up a bit better on the CC rides are my major goals for 2011, oh and a new bike :biggrin:
Well, I got the bike.
Certainly smashed the mileage (extra 1600)
And lost some weight (starting 2012 10lbs lighter than I started 2011)

The 20 minute hill climb will be attempted later this year I reckon. :thumbsup:

marafi

Rolling down the hills with the bike.
My cycle goals this year to cycle more ALOT more and maybe start blogging. *Looks around* Anyone know if Gaz is around wouldn't mind asking him how he started his blogging. Hopefully, cycle halfway to uni at least and then jump on the bus also get the camera and blog more. That is one of my cycle goals. Won't be buying a bike till i graduate now hopefully when i do!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I'm going to take it easy and just enjoy riding until the summer is here and then do some proper training ready for the 'cross season, aiming at a high overall league position.

Failed!

Busy sorting our flat out. Still am.

This week I've been fitting new skirting boards.

I rode a couple of races though. The quality of the riders in the local league has improved, I would've had to have done some pretty serious training just to match my league position from the previous season.

Two time trials, two 'cross races and a whole lot of commuting, that was 2011.

Top Bottom