2011 Cycling goals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
Mine is to get on the bike more. Simple enough, but it's been hard to do of late due to changes in personal circumstances.

Hopefully in the new year I can re-rig things to fit more cycling in.

I'd like to do another FNRttC, and get at least a couple of rides in with the East Yorks CC Posse, and if I can get my fitness back up, try again to do my first 100 miler.

What are your 2011 cycling goals?

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Gixxerman

Guru
1) Under 6 hours for an on-road 100 miler (Hybrid)
2) 50+ miler off-road (MTB)
3) At least cycle tour (probably C2C)
4) Complete an audax
5) Bike commute a bit when the weather is nice (Probably every Friday)
6) Try out a road bike (to see what all the fuss is about)
7) Attend a few CycleChat meets.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
1) Under 6 hours for an on-road 100 miler (Hybrid)
2) 50+ miler off-road (MTB)
3) At least cycle tour (probably C2C)
4) Complete an audax
5) Bike commute a bit when the weather is nice (Probably every Friday)
6) Try out a road bike (to see what all the fuss is about)
7) Attend a few CycleChat meets.

The weather is going to be nice every Friday in 2011? Excellent news.

fimm

Veteran
Get used to my TT bike.
Set a new 10 mile PB.
1st 100 miler.

(And then, in July, the plan is to swim a bit, cycle 112 miles, and then run a bit. Though that is not a purely cycling goal, of course. So the main goal is not to break myself before then.)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I want to ride a lot more next year than I've managed to this year and I have lots of little targets, but let's just stick to two big ones. 

I would have to be very slim and fit to achieve goal 1, and all my other riding goals would be met on the build-up to it, or shortly afterwards. 

Goal 1 is to ride up this...

longest_hill.jpg

... In 20 minutes! (My faster ever was 23.5 minutes when I was still overweight and not at full fitness, so I'm sure it is doable for me if I do the right training.)

Goal #2 is to earn a living on t'interweb selling cycling-related goods and services. To be viable, I'd need to make £1k a month pre-tax, though I'd really like to make double that (or more)! (Well, it's connected to cycling!) 

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
1) Log at least 2500 miles, hopefully substantially more.
2) Make the most of the peak district to get in some hilly rides (and visit all of the notable reservoirs and lakes in the area).
3) Up my single ride distance from current max of 65 mile (hopefully get in a century).
4) Do some time trials (come in under 26 mins at least).
5) Complete a duathlon.
6) Run a sub-45 min 10km (not cycling specific, but will contribute to decent duathlon progress I imagine).
7) Complete a fixed wheel/track build that I am happy with.

Colin, I plan to ride Cragg Vale on my fixed in the new year, its not that steep @ 2-3% average gradient but I imagine over 5.5 mile it may sting a little if you are in a rush! Good luck with it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Colin, I plan to ride Cragg Vale on my fixed in the new year, its not that steep @ 2-3% average gradient but I imagine over 5.5 mile it may sting a little if you are in a rush! Good luck with it.
It's probably an ideal hill for fixed. There is a short stretch at about 7-8% halfway but over the whole distance it averages only 3.3% (going by the numbers on the sign, and I think that figure feels about right).

The biggest problem is that there is often a cross-headwind higher up on the open moor. It nearly always comes from ahead-right. I won't try and set a good time unless it is a still day. Wind assistance is rare on that climb, but I'm aiming to do it myself and not get blown along. I've only had it a couple of times and it feels great, but it is 'cheating'! ;)

dnrc

Veteran
1 - 100 miler (Norwich 100)

2 - A good few sportives of 50-60+ miles

3 - Try Out/Join a club

4 - Timetrial (Maybe)

5 - A Bike holiday of some sort. (Maybe a short tour or an alps ride event or maybe the Rad am Ring)

potsy

Rambler
My goal now is to ride up that hill with Colinj and witness his sub 20 minute attempt.
thumbsup.png

More miles than this year and a hell of a lot of weight loss to enable me to keep up a bit better on the CC rides are my major goals for 2011, oh and a new bike
biggrin.gif

carpiste

Guru
I just hope, as a newbie, to continue enjoying my bike, but............

1) lose another stone in weight ( 2 stone 1 lb so far)
2) Try out/buy a road bike
3) try for a 50 mile run
4) tackle a few more (small) hills

potsy

Rambler
I just hope, as a newbie, to continue enjoying my bike, but............

1) lose another stone in weight ( 2 stone 1 lb so far)
2) Try out/buy a road bike
3) try for a 50 mile run
4) tackle a few more (small) hills

Well done on point 1, points 3 and 4 will be easier if you do point 2.
thumbsup.png

BTW I think you are my nearest neighbour on the member map
wave.gif

1) To get my fitness back once my knee is healed, with a view to

2) Get involved (if not actually placed) in the local Portsdown time trial league.

3) Work on my endurance and pacing, which should help with 2.

Top Bottom