2011 Cycling goals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrisc

Guru
Well, this being my first year on the bike I set out to do 2000 miles and just rolled over 3000 so I'll aim for 4000 next. I'd like to get out for more long days as well. Managed two 100 milers and knees permitting I'd like to up this to one a month or so. Have also signed up to a Pyrenean Raid for September but the knee trouble might stop me before I start unless I can sort 'em out.

ACS

Legendary Member
Mileage: 5000 +

Audax
Randonneur 1000 award - 100km, 200km, 300km + 400km made up of a combination of rides.
Brevet 1000 award - 10x 100km

Ride the Snow Roads and finish before the control closes :ohmy:

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Yeah, I'd like to do that...

Maybe we should try and arrange a small CC group to do it? I had some friends talking about doing it as a relaxed long weekend...

I'd be up for that. I was just saying to Spandex last night that I definitely want to do it this year.

Chrisc

Guru
I want to ride a lot more next year than I've managed to this year and I have lots of little targets, but let's just stick to two big ones.

I would have to be very slim and fit to achieve goal 1, and all my other riding goals would be met on the build-up to it, or shortly afterwards.

Goal 1 is to ride up this...

longest_hill.jpg

... In 20 minutes! (My faster ever was 23.5 minutes when I was still overweight and not at full fitness, so I'm sure it is doable for me if I do the right training.)

Goal #2 is to earn a living on t'interweb selling cycling-related goods and services. To be viable, I'd need to make £1k a month pre-tax, though I'd really like to make double that (or more)! (Well, it's connected to cycling!)

Gonna have to ride over your way and do this one. Which way do you come over to Huddersfield?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Gonna have to ride over your way and do this one. Which way do you come over to Huddersfield?
If you mean which direction do you ride, it is from Mytholmroyd up the B6138, though Cragg Vale and on up to the reservoir at Blackstone Edge.

If you'd like a challenging scenic loop to get you from central Huddersfield up the Cragg Vale climb and back, I'll knock one up for you and post it on Bikely.

1) Ride back from some more Fnrttcs without feeling like I'm going to die.
2) Get better at climbing hills
3) Slim down a bit and improve my asthma
4) Not suck too much at my 1st sportive in March
5) Do as many cycling holidays as possible
6) learn more about bikes so I know when Evans is ripping me off!

martint235

Dog on a bike
I've actually got another aim that I could use some help with from forumers (forummers??). In Summer 2010 I did I ride organised by Flying Dodo in Kent that culminated in me doing 164 miles for a day or according to Google London to Oldham. Now my parents live in Nelson in the pennines, I'd say about 20 miles from Oldham so I'm tentatively thinking of riding up there. I've now got a GPS (so I don't have to follow the A1 all the way to Leeds :rolleyes:), so a. is this doable in a day (I think so but happy to take advice) and b. is anyone up for doing it with me or meeting me halfway (200 miles on your own can get a bit lonely). I'm thinking June/July so hopefully all in daylight.

montage

God Almighty
3rd catagory in Road racing
under 27 min 10 mile TT

Not the hardest of tasks, but considering the fact I'm still not back on the bike properly, I think they are realistic

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
1) Ride back from some more Fnrttcs without feeling like I'm going to die.
2) Get better at climbing hills
3) Slim down a bit and improve my asthma
4) Not suck too much at my 1st sportive in March
5) Do as many cycling holidays as possible
6) learn more about bikes so I know when Evans is ripping me off!

1. That'll come with more miles.
2. Unfortunately, the only way to learn to climb hills is to climb hills. Does get a bit easier, honest....
3. 1 & 2 will help, I'm sure,.
4. Relax. Others might treat it like a race, you don't have to. I've done two, firmly in the 'bronze medal' category for time on both, couldn't care less.

Mine:
1. I initially set myself the target of 5k miles for the year, that was clearly too easy as I'm up to 6.1k (would have been nearer if not past 6.5 but for time off the bike due to crashes & weather). So I'm thinking 7.5k, if not 8k, as a target for 2011, not least because I'm preparing for....
2. Eight-day LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion, end of May/beginning of June. So über mileage required in the build-up. I'm probably OK for it already, but I'm taking no chances...
3. The TBL's Pedal to Paris 2011. Might just be in shape for that one...
4. More sportives. The Wiggle one that's New Forest-lap of the IOW-and back sounds like fun.
5. As many FNRttCs as possible. Hopefully without crashing this year!
6. Dun Run. Did the route in October, so thinking the 'real thing' might be worth a go.
7. More CC/YACF/BR social rides & 'amazing adventures'.

Chrisc

Guru
If you mean which direction do you ride, it is from Mytholmroyd up the B6138, though Cragg Vale and on up to the reservoir at Blackstone Edge.

If you'd like a challenging scenic loop to get you from central Huddersfield up the Cragg Vale climb and back, I'll knock one up for you and post it on Bikely.

Cheers Colin
Was thinking of a less challenging route from hudds to mytholroyd. Pref avoiding barkisland!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Cheers Colin
Was thinking of a less challenging route from hudds to mytholroyd. Pref avoiding barkisland!
In that case, I'd suggest: Outlane, Stainland, Greetland, B6112/A6026 though Copley to Sowerby Bridge. Left on the A58 through the town centre. The best way to avoid the tough climb of Tuel Lane is to continue ahead then turn right along Hollins Mill Lane (Warning - I discovered to my horror that this quiet road becomes a seething mass of young drunks when people are out drinking so avoid at those times!), eventually you tackle a short steep climb to Hill Top, and bear left along Rose Grove. That takes you to the A646, turn left and it is 3-4 km to Mytholmroyd. Left on the B6138 at the traffic lights. The sign in my photo is about 300 metres along that road. I time myself from that sign to the Rochdale MBC sign just before the reservoir at the top of the climb.

To get home, turn left onto the A58, bomb down to Sowerby Bridge, then ride back the way you came.

Top Bottom