2013 Audax plans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
I want to try and ride around 4000 miles next year, would like to ride at least one 100km ride per month and I'm hoping to ride the coast to coast ride in a day in June. I intend to use a number of audax rides to help me train and achieve these goals.

I like Colin J's goals above about riding the two Hebden Bridge rides within certain times. Think I may jump on that bandwagon as well!!

Last winter I cut down on my commuting and started getting out for at least two 80k+ rides a month as well as one longer evening ride in the week (I quite like riding in the dark). It seems to have really helped in terms of distance fitness so hopefully your approach will work well.

Having looked at Audax and general ride times from 2006/07, my average speed has reduced as my weight has increased...and coupled with injury started out last year's "season" with fairly low confidence in both my physical and mental abilities in comparison to the past, but now have a bit more confidence to push myself again.

SOM next Sunday, if the weather holds and HB isn't under water. Keep toying with the idea of LEL but a lot depends on work and wether I get to France again next year :smile:

vorsprung

Veteran
The mentalistic "Wessex SR" series rides are on next year. They all start in Dorset

There's a 200/300/400/600 and they look a bit difficult to me. Although I am tempted to have a crack at the "Hardboiled 300" which starts at 2am. More details here on the Wessex SR series
The only other ride I've pencilled in for next year is the K&SW 600. No Baggy I haven't sent IanH a form yet :blink:

In other audax news, I am probably not going to do the Elenith 300km next year. This used to be a favourite but the old start from Kidderminster has been changed. It's just a bit further for me to travel and just a bit tougher a ride. John Hamilton the new organiser does some great stuff from Shrewsbury though. The ride is now called Yr Elenydd

I'll be helping/organising/driving a car at the National 400km on the 15th of June. Normally I do a 400km event on this date but this year there is a different-but-similar event. The reason it's different is the exact event I do can't be scaled to 100 entrants. The National 400 does follow a similar route but it has a different start time.

Don't think I will be doing Madrid-Gijon-Madrid or London-Edinburgh-London next year, but never say never

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Did I mention the new 600 on the 13th July next year? It starts from Leighton Buzzard.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I only have one definite goal in the 2012/2013 Audax year whiuch is to complete a 200 in October which will be the final month of my RRTY attempt. My only other plan is to definitely not do a 200 in November so as to break the chain. (If I do do a 200 in November I wont hand the brevet in so it wont be counted.)

Good Luck to everyone whatever Audax challenges you set yourselves.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
New season's ambitions:

5AAA points
5 x 200km rides
500km Randonneur award
500km Brevet award
1000km Brevet award
2000km Brevet award

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'd like to have a proper go next year - I did one 120k in Feb but nothing since.

The experience probably shunted me more towards sportives, but I'm always up for another try. It'll be Saturday events mostly though.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'd like to have a proper go next year - I did one 120k in Feb but nothing since.

The experience probably shunted me more towards sportives, but I'm always up for another try. It'll be Saturday events mostly though.

That sounds like the mini North West Passage. From the reports I've heard (I've DNSed it once but never ridden) that's not a typical audax and spends a lot of time on main roads.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
That sounds like the mini North West Passage. From the reports I've heard (I've DNSed it once but never ridden) that's not a typical audax and spends a lot of time on main roads.
It's a typical old-school audax event.

DCLane

It was. Also, I'd not properly set things up; I used the new bike without any real test rides, a rack which wasn't properly secured and I hadn't really looked at the directions. The weather, failure of the rack after 5 miles, a fall and then a puncture put me off.

A week later and the Evans Leeds sportive went well - so I've probably stuck to these for that reason.

It's about time I had another go. And yes, I'll probably do the full North-West Passage event next year.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
...and coupled with injury started out last year's "season" with fairly low confidence in both my physical and mental abilities in comparison to the past, but now have a bit more confidence to push myself again.
This is something with which I really struggled this year - lack of confidence. :sad:

Need to do more regular, whatever-the-weather riding this coming year (audax or calendar) to regain that confidence and fitness.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've published my events for next year. Included is a new 600 from Leighton Buzzard to Exeter and back. 13th July, if you're interested.

DCLane

Thanks @ColinJ. You never know - you may be fit enough by then to tackle it as well.

The route will depend on the weather so I'll get both set up and downloaded.

Top Bottom