2013 Audax plans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
I want to do an audax. Just one. Because even one ride will be one more than what I achieved this year :blush:

I'm keeping my eye on the Triple H from Petworth on November 25th as it sounds like a nice one to break me in and I'll decide nearer the time. Has anyone done this ride and able to give me any tips or advice?

PpPete

Legendary Member
I want to do an audax. Just one. Because even one ride will be one more than what I achieved this year :blush:

I'm keeping my eye on the Triple H from Petworth on November 25th as it sounds like a nice one to break me in and I'll decide nearer the time. Has anyone done this ride and able to give me any tips or advice?

Dave Hudson's rides are always great.... but whilst he often recycles the names of events, he usually introduces variations to the routes, so it's always worth returning to ride again.
Be aware that he does enjoy putting in little surprises....so even though the total amount of climbing is only 660mtrs he might just have found some little lane with a 20% gradient in it. No shame in walking those!

Can't decide whether to ECE this one or drive over and do the 200.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I will be entering plenty of audaxes next year but my definate New Year Resolution is The Kidderminster Killer next August. A fine and dandy albeit tough classic audax event. The Snow Roads is a maybe.

Did that this year. It is the toughest thing that I have ever physically done. Well worth it for some stunning views, fantastic high speed long descents (although many of the downhill bits are too narrow to get any decent speed), great stops and a sense of achievement. However DON'T underestimate it. I've not walked up a hill since before I was a teenager, but walked up two of them on this, and a further one on the way home.

martint235

Dog on a bike
2012 plans were to do an SR and Grimpeur du Sud. Result: I didn't ride a single audax.

So based on that plans for 2013 are: ride LEL, give up audaxing.

fimm

Veteran
I want to do the Snow Roads. Don't ask me why, just do.
I did my first Audax (Three Glens Explorer) a couple of weekends ago, and had a great time. That was 160km, and is the furthest I'd cycled this year, but I'd done a couple of longer rides in 2011. I know I should do at least a couple of 200s before trying a very hilly 300, (and lots of hills). Any tips for training, and rides that are easily accessible by public transport from Edinburgh?

ACS

Legendary Member
I want to do the Snow Roads. Don't ask me why, just do.
I did my first Audax (Three Glens Explorer) a couple of weekends ago, and had a great time. That was 160km, and is the furthest I'd cycled this year, but I'd done a couple of longer rides in 2011. I know I should do at least a couple of 200s before trying a very hilly 300, (and lots of hills). Any tips for training, and rides that are easily accessible by public transport from Edinburgh?

Can recommend the Deeside Loop on the Sun 5th May 13 out of Forfar. Could be also called the 'Sleet Roads' as it covers some of the SN route.

The Hell Tour of East Lothian is a great early season 100km challange departing from Musselburgh on 17 Feb. Enjoy the view from the top of a snow covered Redstone Rigg.<LOL>

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

The Forth and Tay 200 from Dalmeny on Sunday 10th March 2013.

Davie is also running a 150k event to Amulree the day before the Deeside Loop (the route of which has been altered this year to miss out Stracathro hospital) but it does not appear under "scotland" on the auk calendar - but does appear if you look under "north". The auk calendar has some mighty strange idea of where places are in the UK!! Yorkshire (or at least some of it) and Northumberland appear to be in Scotland according to auk calendar...

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
After getting my first Randonneur 1000 this year, and my first 300km, I,m just looking to carry that on again. A Brevet 2000 as well this year so a Brevet 3 & 4000 could both be on the cards.

Philip Whiteman

Über Member
Did that this year. It is the toughest thing that I have ever physically done. Well worth it for some stunning views, fantastic high speed long descents (although many of the downhill bits are too narrow to get any decent speed), great stops and a sense of achievement. However DON'T underestimate it. I've not walked up a hill since before I was a teenager, but walked up two of them on this, and a further one on the way home.

I don't entirely recall you walking when you dismounted you bicycle at the end of the KK either!

You are right, it is not to be underestimated. However, anyone wishing to add this to their list of things to do in 2013 will be more than welcome.

http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/killerclee/kidderminster_killer.html

fimm

Veteran
Actually that's a point, I could potentially combine a long weekend visiting my parents north of Newcastle with something in that area. I'll have to have another look at the AUK website with that in mind. (I'm contemplating spending a weekend cycling there and back, at roughly 100 miles each way...)

The Forth and Tay 200 looks like it is going on the list, thank you.

Tynan

Veteran
Lazy plans to do LEL now progressed to mentioned to two other chaps that have made interested noises so lots to do

I generally do the SEG75, and rode there and back last year, Start of Summer ride from Stevenage, and to and fro last year

And something long I suppose, an SR would be a good idea I suppose, National 400 has been mentioned

Easy this planning init

yello

No plans as I've not seen the (French) calendar as yet. But, in truth, I don't expect there to be anything organised (over 100km) within a sensible distance of me. I'm envious of you folks. I miss the UK audax scene.

I've a notion to ride LEL next year, and would like to prepare well for that, so I'll probably have to do an unofficial, undocumented DIY SR series on me todd.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I keep meaning to pop down to Wessex and ride one Ian Hamilton's events...
Is that a notional generic organiser of hilly events?
(Shawn Shaw runs Wessex events; Ian Hennessey runs Exeter Wheelers' events; John Hamilton runs hilly Welsh events)

Top Bottom