2013 Liggett and Sherwin'isms

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
Ligget just said something about the Olympic TT not having the same quality as the world championships because there are restrictions on the number of entries per country...
Were there any top TTers not at the Olympics ? Depth would be less but the cream was all there innit !?

Complete tosh. Each of the "major" countries had their top riders competing. Other countries who are not so mainstream also had riders competing, and looking at their results should make anyone realise how good the best guys are. Is PL seriously saying the race was devalued when Spartacus, Tony Martin, Wiggo, Froome, were there, for example? I think it may be time for a graceful retirement.

Hont

Guru
Sherwen described Froome's TT position as not great aerodynamically yesterday. Yeah cos Sky don't spend any time working on that sort of thing do they? I'm sure just by looking at it, Paul, you could give them a few pointers.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I've given up. I can't even be bothered to type their tripe into this thread. Evans heart rate in the TT comment near made me spit my tea out, Liggett saying Boassen Hagen was on his radio or as Sherwen says, push to talk button, when he was clearly holding his shoulder...

Didn't they say Gilbert caused the crash, wasn't it someone in blue, they didn't call that right did they?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Sherwen described Froome's TT position as not great aerodynamically yesterday. Yeah cos Sky don't spend any time working on that sort of thing do they? I'm sure just by looking at it, Paul, you could give them a few pointers.

Actually Froome has only recently been in the wind tunnel for the 1st time according to an interview I listened to and/or read recently, which is rather surprising.

tmesis

Yesterday: "but you'll never catch Cavendish at this stage of the race" :rolleyes:

Perfect, wasn't it? It reminded me of an England v Uruguay friendly at Wembley just before the 1990 World Cup Finals. Uruguayan player shoots from 45 yards out and the commentator (Barry Davis?) has time to say "You'll never beat Shilton from that far ou..it's gone in!"

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I hope that when David Millar retires he gets the job of commentating. He'd do a cracking job!
Yes, I heard him doing a commentary last year (can't remember which race) and he was excellent. Clear voice, clear thinking and lots of racing insight. Markus Backstedt is pretty good too and I look forward to hearing him a bit more now that he's retired.

thom

____
Yes, I heard him doing a commentary last year (can't remember which race) and he was excellent. Clear voice, clear thinking and lots of racing insight. Markus Backstedt is pretty good too and I look forward to hearing him a bit more now that he's retired.
World Championship road race I think - I agree, he is great. I suspect he has a good few other outlets for his talents to make commentary a full time thing but every once in a while would be great.

Noodley

I've given up. I can't even be bothered to type their tripe into this thread.

It's so awful and frequent that it's almost a full-time job keeping up with their mistakes and bollox. Given that I know how much rubbish they spout about things I know, I have also started to disbelieve them about everything e.g. "Paul, do you know anything about that castle?"..."yes Phil, it was built in blah blah blah.." and I automatically think "I bet that's a load of incorrect bollox"

Reactions: gaz

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I'm getting doubly fed up with Paul Sherwen's verbal excess:

"just twenty three years of age" - what's wrong with "just 23 years old"

"Nairo Quintana is from the region of Blah..." Why not just "Nairo Quintana is from Blah"...

EVERY time he says it like that, longer than necessary.

thom

____
I'm getting doubly fed up with Paul Sherwen's verbal excess:

"just twenty three years of age" - what's wrong with "just 23 years old"

"Nairo Quintana is from the region of Blah..." Why not just "Nairo Quintana is from Blah"...

EVERY time he says it like that, longer than necessary.
Part of the problem with their commentary is that they are switching between different feeds, giving similar fare to both broadcasts no doubt. As a result, they don't really have conversations with each other, they just state things and I think the style is a hangover from what they provide their US viewers. I can only imagine that speaking a slightly verbose version of English is thought to be perceived as an erudite device to cover up their lack of spontaneity.

Top Bottom