2013 National Road Race Championships

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
No thread yet on this, so I thought I'd start one.

Official website

Route map (PDF)

My office is right at the 5 km mark on the route map - the first road closed sign has appeared on campus being stored on the pavement ahead of the weekend.

I'll be spending the day around campus part working part watching the race (distribution to be determined depending on the weather...). Anyone else coming out to watch? Secure bicycle parking can be made available by me to anyone wanting it.

As for the race, I think it should be exciting. A very technical course, with some pretty steep (albeit short) climbs - Montrose St in the city centre as well as Uni Ave and Great George St in the West End. There's also a sharp hairpin very close to the finish line on Glasgow Green. A full-on bunch sprint looks unlikely.

zizou

Veteran
If the forecast for rain is correct it could get quite dodgy with all the tight corners and city roads with diesel, road markings and drains etc. Would hate to see anyone crash and get injured but particularly the likes of Cavendish with the tour coming up soon.

Will be finishing early today and riding down to Stewarton so i can see some of the TT.

GBC

Veteran
I'm heading off for Stewarton in about half an hour, so should catch the men's race. Fully intend to go to the Road Race as well Rasmus, so I may contact you later about bike storage. (you couldn't give it a wee clean as well could you????

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
This is one my favorite weekends of the year. There's something about the Belgian championships that always gets my juices flowing...far more romantic than any other!

zizou

Veteran
Jo Rowsell won the womens TT, great performance from her

Not sure who won the mens as i just rode home rather than up to the finish after the riders passed me for the last time - Dowsett crashed right in front of me on the first lap. Looked a sore one but quick change of bikes and he was back up and going

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Jo Rowsell won the womens, great performance from her

Not sure who won the mens as i just rode home rather than up to the finish after the riders passed me for the last time - Dowsett crashed right in front of me on the first lap. Looked a sore one but quick change of bikes and he was back up and going

Alex Dowsett won. Matt Bottrill second (good show, esp after his crash at the weekend). Ben Swift 3rd

BNOqYOcCIAA06bw.jpg

ianjmcd

Über Member
i hope to be there with my camera will probably be around kelvingrove after i cover a charity run in morning also with my camera

Booyaa

Veteran
Not sure yet, will have two kids in tow so don't think that will be optimum conditions for viewing the race. My office is on George Square so could go in there and watch from up there.

The Couch

Über Member
Working for Sky seems to be turning Boasson Hagen into a (short) multiple-stage GC candidate :rolleyes:

Seeing him improving in the climbs (last year in one of thel ast TdF stages at one point he was leading a peloton which was only about 25 people strong) and seeing him improving in TT (see Dauphine and national TT).
While 3-4 years ago, I believe most people had seen a "Spring Classics" rider in him (and the last 2 years were a bit of disappointment on those type of races)

And it seems OPQ continues the trend: people who join them, take big/extra strides in TTs (see Chavanal, Vandewalle, P. Velits, Martin, Terpstra) but can't seem to be able to climb much in the high mountains anylonger (see Brambilla and again Velits)

thom

____
While 3-4 years ago, I believe most people had seen a "Spring Classics" rider in him (and the last 2 years were a bit of disappointment on those type of races)
You have to remember the 2nd place at the worlds is a pretty decent result though. But yes, Sky are yet to find a way that works in the classics. Perhaps Wiggo will look that way next year if he stays at Sky.

oldroadman

Veteran
Alex Dowsett won. Matt Bottrill second (good show, esp after his crash at the weekend). Ben Swift 3rd

BNOqYOcCIAA06bw.jpg
Interesting to see how the roadmen are so well placed, pro riders from all levels in the top 10, but what a ride from Mr Peacock in 8th! Clearly inspired by having a "local national" championship to ride, I bet he's been out practising on the course...cheefky feller, but placing high up in that field certainly merits a very honourable mention.

Top Bottom