2013 National Road Race Championships

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I was out yesterday to see it and ended up mainly on Argyll Street and High Street before heading to Glasgow Green for the finish. After the evil scrum had died down at the end, I then waited about to see the last people coming in, and was lightly made fun of by a British Cycling guy because as the very last riders were passing, all I could think to say was

'Well Done!!'

He pointed out that they were pros and it wasn't a club run, but I didn't care! :laugh:
The last rider to finish was someone from Team Raleigh.

Anyway, afterwards, we were waiting at the Team Sky Bus for Cav to make an appearance and I met an (I presume) Indian lady who was trying to get the autographs of all the Sky riders past and present on her t shirt (she had 3 t shirts as she'd got them signed at different events). Cav appeared (looking a bit p*ssed off about something. As usual.) along with Millar, Stannard, Rowe... I think, and a Blonde Woman in her Team GB tracksuit (I cannot remember her name to save myself, but she's someone you would recognise).

Autograph lady (sorry, but its as good a name as any) only has Chris Hoy to get now. Also she said that she works for British Cycling or similar, and that she knows someone on here called Ian, but she didn't know his username. She also said she's a member of Johnson Wheelers I think it was.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Looked like a rather atypical win for Cav, and one that bodes well for a green jersey challenge in this year's Tour.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Also, did any of you see the two Bulldogs in Team Sky jerseys (Swift Jerseys) at Glasgow Green? I have no idea who they belonged too, apparently, talking to someone later they had been there all day and there was nobody obvious looking after them (although they couldn't have been far away, surely). The dogs were getting as much attention as the riders anyway, and they didn't seem too bothered about it all.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Also, did any of you see the two Bulldogs in Team Sky jerseys (Swift Jerseys) at Glasgow Green? I have no idea who they belonged too, apparently, talking to someone later they had been there all day and there was nobody obvious looking after them (although they couldn't have been far away, surely). They were getting as much attention as the riders were anyway, and they didn't seem too bothered about it all.

I just hope they were ok, I forgot to check when I left.
Some Mad Dog Biker no doubt...

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
That Cav... He's a bit rubbish without a lead-out train, isn't he? I mean, winning a sprint by only eight lengths? Pffft.

ianjmcd

Über Member
lol i missed it all as well never managed to get to glasgow in time to get a decent spot so ended up in pub ;-)

thom

____
That Cav... He's a bit rubbish without a lead-out train, isn't he? I mean, winning a sprint by only eight lengths? Pffft.
Millar says he did a deal with Cav to work against the Sky guys. Millar attacked from a few kms out and Cav didn't chase, so Stannard had to (is this when Kennaugh got dropped ?) but Stannard brought Cav back too. So in the finale, Millar gave Cav something of a lead out to keep his end of the bargain.
When you think back to the Commonwealth games in India, those 2 had a similar deal to work against a couple of Aussies (and some others). Millar got a medal that day having successfully dropped the main Aussie sprinter who hang out with Cav.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
lol i missed it all as well never managed to get to glasgow in time to get a decent spot so ended up in pub ;-)

I did afterwards, The Blackfriars to be exact.

Anyway, so who is this Ian on CC? Johnson Wheelers, that's Paisley (more or less) isn't it?

Anyway, afterwards, we were waiting at the Team Sky Bus for Cav to make an appearance and I met an Asian lady who was trying to get the autographs of all the Sky riders past and present on her t shirt (she had 3 t shirts as she'd got them signed at different events).

Autograph lady (sorry, but its as good a name as any) only has Chris Hoy to get now. Also she said that she works for British Cycling or similar, and that she knows someone on this very forum called Ian, but she didn't know his username. She also said she's a member of Johnson Wheelers I think it was.

iLB

Hello there
Expect to see Cavendish in the yellow jersey come the weekend, barring some sort of calamity. Great ride.

Re the dogs https://twitter.com/velocast/status/348857445961039873

Buddfox

Veteran
Out of interest, does anyone know what you have to do to earn a place to compete in the men's RR? Do you need to accumulate a certain number of points, or is it by invitation only?

GBC

Veteran
Really great day out and as an added bonus, the rain managed to stay away, mostly. We stayed at the top of Montrose Street for a while and then headed along Cathedral Street and High Street, stopping along the way, and then down to the Green. We managed to get a fairly good position there, about 80 metres from the finish, and the speed that Cavendish went past on the sprint was really quite unbelievable, just a blur. Naturally, in a chauvanistic way, I would have liked David Millar to win, but Cavendish certainly pulled out all the stops and got the reception from the crowd that he deserved.
A bit of a downer, I think, is the coverage that the BBC chose to give, nothing on the main evening news (though I did miss the start, so may be wrong) and a 5 second glimpse of the podium at the end of our regional Reporting Scotland. Still, it wasn't football, the poor loves.....

Anyway, here's a few snaps from the day:

IMG_1747.JPG

IMG_1750.JPG

IMG_1757.JPG

IMG_1759.JPG

IMG_1760.JPG

IMG_1767.JPG

IMG_1770.JPG

IMG_1771.JPG

IMG_1775.JPG

IMG_1789.JPG

Unfortunately I was at the back of the crowd, and although I got a couple of shots of Mark Cavendish, they are completely out of focus.

Top Bottom