2015 Rugby World Cup **Potential spoilers**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am intrigued. In the 3 years that Stuart Lancaster has been in charge there has have only been two names for open-side flanker, Robshaw and Armitage. This is considered to be one of the most important positions in modern rugby yet the candidates seem to be very thin on the ground. Why so?

OP
OP
Wafer

Wafer

Veteran
Ian Ritchie said he'd take the responsibility for appointing Lancaster if England failed at the World Cup, so I'm waiting for his resignation. Don't think I'll hold my breath though....

Robshaw played 6 for Quins at the weekend, will be interesting to see if he stays there!

[added]Link to go with the comment about Ritchie http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...r-blame-if-England-fail-to-win-World-Cup.html[/added]

The 'not me guv' wordsmiths have been hard at it...
The chief executive’s own position has come under question, given that Ritchieawarded Lancaster a six-year contract last year and previously stated that he would take full responsibility for England’s World Cup display. However, the RFU chairman, Bill Beaumont, insisted Ritchie still had the backing of the RFU board.

Ritchie said: “I don’t duck the accountability and responsibility. If you are the chief executive of the organisation, you need to deal with that. I’m the chief executive of the organisation, I run the organisation and therefore I feel personally about what’s happened and what’s gone on. I think it’s equally important though that I continue to deliver for the organisation and to move it forward.”

Ritchie and Beaumont both thanked Lancaster for his “tireless” work in charge, and the departing coach said that England had the potential to win the 2019 World Cup.
"That's done then. Let's go for a pint or two and a sing-song. I know one about balls the size of three..." :cheers:

There's a poll in the guardian too:
Who should England appoint to replace Stuart Lancaster?

6% Jake White
5% Mike Ford
3% Dean Ryan
4% Rob Baxter
38% Eddie Jones
5% Jim Mallinder
6% Conor O’Shea
11% Clive Woodward
11% Michael Cheika
4% Vern Cotter
8% Warren Gatland
Poll closes in 2 days
:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Wafer

Wafer

Veteran
Yeah, so Lancaster needs to go so the organisation can move forward, they need to stay so the organisation can move forward....
Same problems with England cricket, teflon coated shoulders.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm not sure about Bill Beaumont. I liked him and I thought it was great when he took the Chairman's role. However he seems to have done what often happens and become ensconced in his role with no desire to rock the boat.

Why is everyone so keen on Eddie Jones? Isn't this the Eddie Jones who couldn't come up with a game plan to beat England's 2003 "we've only got plan A but we're going to do it well"?

martint235

Dog on a bike
Conor O'Shea. Apart fromthe fact I hate him for deserting London Irish he's a pretty good coach. Did good work with Irish and continued at Quins.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
As usual the RFU are looking for the silver bullet of a world-beating coach. The reality is that without central contracts and the national team being subservient to the needs of the players employers, the Premiership clubs, the coach just doesn't have player time to influence performance.

The only time this worked was when they appointed Woodward who was, in my opinion, years ahead of opposition coaches in his thinking. Trouble is they've caught up and passed England in the past decade.

1. Appoint a coach who will force change and demand autonomy (won't happen as the blazers like someone that doesn't surprise them)
2. Central contracts (the RFU is loaded, they can afford it)
3. Get the regional staff out into the schools that don't play serious rugby specifically to identify potential international-standard talent. Not "nurturing the game". This is hard nosed talent spotting

I'm not sure about Bill Beaumont. I liked him and I thought it was great when he took the Chairman's role. However he seems to have done what often happens and become ensconced in his role with no desire to rock the boat.

Why is everyone so keen on Eddie Jones? Isn't this the Eddie Jones who couldn't come up with a game plan to beat England's 2003 "we've only got plan A but we're going to do it well"?
Eddie Jones has proved his coaching skills via Japan's performance. Better him than a cry baby like Daniel Hourcade, who coached 100% Argentinian beef (in strong and fast-food versions this time around). :cry:
I'm joking, (just this once,:rolleyes:) but people change...sometimes improve through downhill experiences. Hopefully 'Duke' Lancaster will come back stronger, with a wholesome player base of hard workers - a 'team', not just suit modellers and abs fabs. Jones and Hourcade showed the ability to form teams using their comparatively limited resources, and grew the resilience. Coaches throughout the levels need to have a common aim - to get the best out of what is available. I suppose the real analysis might involve the way each nation's hierarchical structure is organised (ie: their equivalent of the RFU) and then start having a clear out. It's like sweeping the stairs; start from the top and work down, not a few treads down..
Meanwhile, here's a diversion to reflect upon..oh, and at the foot of Wafer's link to the Bellylaugh article, there is a moot about the possibility of SL perhaps getting the 2016 Lions gig...interesting!

Top Bottom