2015 Rugby World Cup **Potential spoilers**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
[QUOTE 3984005, member: 43827"]You're probably right. In football terms even supporters of Championship teams get excited about their teams' results. But it's not the same as the Premier League.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure that analogy works, for me at least. The championship is an exciting, competitive affair compared to the so called "best league in the world".

AndyRM

XOXO
Perhaps the Scots can give them some tips....

Remind me... how many major rugby or football trophies has the Scots won in the last 50 years?

Scotland were failed by a referee at the WC, not their players.

We've won two in rugby. If you're using the WC as a benchmark I reckon we're one of the most consistent Northern Hemisphere sides. We've been in every QF bar one.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Everyone said it was a great final but I thought it was dull. Mainly because I didn't care who won. I spent most of the match listening out for Nigel's comments, droll as ever.
"Stephen, No. Now go away. STEPHEN!"

Owens impressed, as usual.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm not sure that analogy works, for me at least. The championship is an exciting, competitive affair compared to the so called "best league in the world".
The Aviva Boshership is touted in rugby circles as being the best league in the world. And as with the round-ball game that claim doesn't seem to translate well to European Cup competitions.

U

User482

The Aviva Boshership is touted in rugby circles as being the best league in the world. And as with the round-ball game that claim doesn't seem to translate well to European Cup competitions.

It depends what we mean by "best" though, doesn't it. I find the EPL far more interesting to watch than the Champions league, and the other major European domestic leagues are usually dominated by one or two teams.

Cubist

Still wavin'
My overwhelming impressions from the competition is that NH rugby needs to move away from the ruts they are stuck in in terms of player profiles and expectations. As long as we continue to be satisfied in terms of selection with heavyweight tight five players, we will continue to lay too much emphasis on the set piece. How many times do you see NH teams battering each other in the scrum in an effort to win penalties, rather than quality ball for the half-backs? In the final we saw far more channel one ball, hooked quickly and cleanly in order to get on with attacking, rather than simply trying to win kicking opportunities. The one or two scrum penalties were the exception rather than the rule.

It's all very well taking the ball into contact again and again, relying on forward support and securing the ball, but this is a costly tactic against faster, more fluid and determined tacklers and jacklers. How many turnovers did we see from Fardy, Pocock et al? Their game plan is to steal, or appear to be doing so in order to force the turnover or penalty not just occasionally, but at each and every breakdown. Their tackling technique appears to be determined to leave the carrying player vulnerable to being stripped by players whose sole role is to do do. The speed and frequency at which this is achieved is so remarkable, that it must be trained over and over and over again.

The best defence to this tactic is the offload. You've tied up two or more defenders in the tackle, and simply pop it out to a supporting runner. If trained and ingrained sufficiently at the training ground, the carrying player knows he will always have an offload option, either side, and what's more, not just the back row or centres, but each and every player on the pitch, ready to exploit the gaps left by the tackling defenders. The mobility and quality of handling from the Kiwi forwards, props included, means that they are very hard to defend against, and the requirement for power and grunt at the breakdown becomes less of a priority. Weight becomes less of an issue, fitness improves, so you can bring a new centre into play at 60 minutes instead of having to replace the props you've knackered/damaged through collision after collision up the middle of the pitch.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an ex-prop, and forwards coach for age-grade players, and I'm all for the spectacle and bullying power of a really good, strong and aggressive pack, and we all know the crowd pleasing nature of a good forwards game, but watch how the SH approach that aspect of the game, using it to win and carry rather than mangle and stifle. Unless we move away from our stodgy formulaic rugby we won't compete, at least not for all four quarters of the game.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
@Cubist hardly a ball was hooked in the final, the feeds were going straight at the second rows feet! ;)

The NH game at professional level is dominated by a fear of losing whilst, generally, the SH sides go out and dares to win. But there is no getting away from the fact that NZ rugby is built, from the ground up, to support the national side in a way an NH coach could not even dare to fantasise about. As a result the AB squad is so strong how many NH, and especially English, players would displace any of its members?

U

User482

@Cubist hardly a ball was hooked in the final, the feeds were going straight at the second rows feet! ;)

The NH game at professional level is dominated by a fear of losing whilst, generally, the SH sides go out and dares to win. But there is no getting away from the fact that NZ rugby is built, from the ground up, to support the national side in a way an NH coach could not even dare to fantasise about. As a result the AB squad is so strong how many NH, and especially English, players would displace any of its members?

Interesting. My entirely-inexpert understanding was that the Welsh domestic game was re-organised to better support the national team. How does the NZ system differ?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Start your own thread extolling the virtues of league. I promise I won't post in it about how a contested breakdown makes for a better game.
Union is so over rated
It is almost impossible to argue that Sam Burgess was not grossly over-rated as a Union player. He simply hadn't had enough game-time to become a Union player of any significant stature. He had huge potential, and I think it is a shame he has gone back to Oz, but fast-tracking him into the England team was demonstrably not the way to develop that potential.

That says nothing about his huge ability and skills in League.

Different games.

david k

Hi
It is almost impossible to argue that Sam Burgess was not grossly over-rated as a Union player. He simply hadn't had enough game-time to become a Union player of any significant stature. He had huge potential, and I think it is a shame he has gone back to Oz, but fast-tracking him into the England team was demonstrably not the way to develop that potential.

That says nothing about his huge ability and skills in League.

Different games.
Yep, ultimately it would take a few years to crack Union, imdontbthink he had the will to dedicate that amount of time to a game that's not in his heart
Brilliant news for league

Top Bottom