2015 Rugby World Cup **Potential spoilers**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Wafer

Wafer

Veteran
I do feel a bit sorry for Burgess, it wasn't him that raised expectations, the media went in to complete frenzy when all he needed was to be left alone, keep his head down for a bit and learn. Then you get the same bits of media saying the hype was too much and he should've been given time! Stupid people.

However, he could also have said no. Thomas Francis was tapped up by Gatland last autumn to join Wales for the Autumn internationals, let alone 6 nations and world cup. he said no, he'd only just joined a premiership club and need more time to get up to speed.
If Burgess is as great a bloke as he is supposed to be, he would've known he wasn't up to speed and could've done something himself to pull out of the spot light. I think he wanted it, wanted the experience, wanted to go to the world cup, so my sympathy for him is limited.

I don't think it says a lot about the qualities people say he represents if he does shoot off back to league.

All fair points. There is a bit of the publicity element about this - (possibly to deflect an abject team performance?) and there is an interesting article by Aaron Bower in the Guardian (as ever) on how S. Burgess can succeed in Union, using several creative arguments, there is another, later one, by the same writer that suggests he is on the move..."raising profiles etc..."
It will be interesting to find out who pulled Stuart Lancaster's string re: this player, and, given the speculation, perhaps no surprise that he was omitted from the matchday 23 for the last game of England's campaign...where he might obviously have been expected to start.
Mind, there's still room in the back row for him, salary caps, ££££££££ $$$$$$$$ notwithstanding. Good luck to him.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
However, he could also have said no. Thomas Francis was tapped up by Gatland last autumn to join Wales for the Autumn internationals, let alone 6 nations and world cup. he said no, he'd only just joined a premiership club and need more time to get up to speed.
If Burgess is as great a bloke as he is supposed to be, he would've known he wasn't up to speed and could've done something himself to pull out of the spot light. I think he wanted it, wanted the experience, wanted to go to the world cup, so my sympathy for him is limited.
^This.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Good point. Farrel snr must be sent as far away as possible from the England coaching set up.
So...

In the car that drives Andy Farrell from HQ who do you put in the other three seats? (I'm saying three as getting three rugby types in the back is always a challenge, and it's a long drive to get them far enough away)

Lancaster can drive. Farrell can navigate.

Rob Andrew is a natural back seat driver and... and... Mike Catt gets the other seat.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
So...

In the car that drives Andy Farrell from HQ who do you put in the other three seats? (I'm saying three as getting three rugby types in the back is always a challenge, and it's a long drive to get them far enough away)

Lancaster can drive. Farrell can navigate.

Rob Andrew is a natural back seat driver and... and... Mike Catt gets the other seat.

Seems fair enough, although with Farrel navigating would they be able to negotiate corners and roundabouts and stuff like that? Wouldn't he insist on a bigger car and just try ploughing on and forcing their way through.

The Legal dept. at Twickenham will be shuffling the contract payoff pack of cards I expect. Given that Farrell senior might return to Saracens - to further expand their overspend - Rob Andrew will 'retire' and head for the USA to be with his pal Nigel Melville...Catt will go to Montpellier to join Jake White and Fabien Galthié (they have a South African connection to maker him feel 'at home') and Stuart will become Head Caretaker at Cumberland High School. Seems only logical. He'll be dreading the ringing for the end of lessons - or should that be 'for whom the bell tolls'? And who does the panel have in mind for an instant fix to England's lack of direction? Dean Ryan? Rob Baxter? Bernard Laporte perhaps? Or do we have to have a Southern Hemispherical object this time around?
England's Rescue Remedy:
Clive Woodward
Dean Ryan & Ben Kay
Jonny Wilkinson & Jason Robinson
Oh, and Graham Rowntree will be pushing the car...it will be a bit overloaded and have run out of gas.
Tonight: South Africa.
Tomorrow: Extra time NZ

U

User482

Seems fair enough, although with Farrel navigating would they be able to negotiate corners and roundabouts and stuff like that? Wouldn't he insist on a bigger car and just try ploughing on and forcing their way through.

I suspect that Farrell would lead them up a blind alley...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
He'd want a people carrier to put his protégés in.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The Legal dept. at Twickenham will be shuffling the contract payoff pack of cards I expect. Given that Farrell senior might return to Saracens - to further expand their overspend - Rob Andrew will 'retire' and head for the USA to be with his pal Nigel Melville...Catt will go to Montpellier to join Jake White and Fabien Galthié (they have a South African connection to maker him feel 'at home') and Stuart will become Head Caretaker at Cumberland High School. Seems only logical. He'll be dreading the ringing for the end of lessons - or should that be 'for whom the bell tolls'? And who does the panel have in mind for an instant fix to England's lack of direction? Dean Ryan? Rob Baxter? Bernard Laporte perhaps? Or do we have to have a Southern Hemispherical object this time around?
England's Rescue Remedy:
Clive Woodward
Dean Ryan & Ben Kay
Jonny Wilkinson & Jason Robinson
Oh, and Graham Rowntree will be pushing the car...it will be a bit overloaded and have run out of gas.
Tonight: South Africa.
Tomorrow: Extra time NZ

Dean Richards maybe? RFU is an equal opportunities employer and is almost a member of the convict classes.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
excellent final, really enjoyed it......
Indeed. Much better than I expected, TBH - I thought it would just be a bludgeoning ordeal, but there was real skill and flair on display. And the right team won!

Great final! Great World Cup!

Top Bottom