2018 Goals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
'The Usual Suspects' involving lengths of rides, speeds of rides, frequencies of rides, get-togethers with fellow forum members on my rides and as a guest on theirs.

I'll choose to highlight one goal though ... my long-running target of doing our local Cragg Vale climb in 20 minutes, preferably without wind assistance.

Cragg Vale elevation profile.gif

(The official climb starts at the 0.7 km point on the profile. The little dip at 3.7 km does not exist - the road clings to the edge of a steep hillside there and my mapping software probably thought I was a few metres over to my right and therefore down in the stream below!)

For those of you who don't 'do metric', it is about 950 feet of elevation gain in just under 5 miles. I would have to average about 14.5 mph up the climb.

In order to get fit enough to achieve that, I would have to have slimmed to a more athletic weight and done a significant amount of hard riding in the build-up, and would subsequently be fit enough to really enjoy some of my harder routes rather than just slowly slogging through them.

I think my best ever time when I was a lot younger was about 23 minutes and in more recent times it is more like 26 minutes, so I have a lot of improving to do.

Last edited:

ChrisEyles

Guru
2017 was a bit of a disaster in terms of cycling mileage and fitness, and unfortunately a lot of the reasons for that are still just as valid now. My new year's resolution for 2018 is not to stress about missing out on targets or goals, and just enjoy time spent on the bike.

And no crashy crashy on the MTB either, let's not forget that!

gbs

Guru
Goals for 2018: 7,500kms with 75,000m of vertical gain.

After a gap of one or two years I would like to re-enter the metric century challenge. First such ride last week.
13.01 111kms of which Cobham, Rudgwick, Ewell West accounted for 101kms

I assume feeder rides to and from railway stations can be counted in.

PS: maybe you think I am fixated on 75. That is because in few weeks I will turn 76.

Last edited:

Bodhbh

Guru
- learn to build my own wheels
- I've gotten fat and unfit, get back to being able to bash out 60-70miles comfortably.
- use to above to get out the house more like I used to !

ideally do a 100 miles. but I know this is well out of my reach (I did a 50 last year...so pleased with myself but what a struggle it was) so this year I think a general improvement on distances, topped with a 75 miler in there should put me in good stead for a 100 miler in 2019...I think :-)

greenmark

Guru
Taiwan KOM Challenge (amateur edition) - 24 June COMPLETED
Maratona dles Dolomites - 1 July PARTIALLY COMPLETED - ILLNESS LED TO COMPLETION OF SHORT FONDO (55km)
Etape du Tour - 8 July FAILED - COULD NOT GET TIME OFF WORK

I've signed up and booked accommodation for rides 2 and 3 already. I hope to sign up to the first when registrations allow.

So end of the year - time to revisit those goals.
Had three goals- completed only 1.
(Also completed two other large rides which weren't my initial goals): Tour de Bintan 144km and RideLondon 100

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Miles 5500 in 2018

Try to get a few longer rides in

Keep up with the wheeling and dealing

Try another carbon machine ( next one will be the 3rd one ) and see if i can work out what all the fuss is about

Well i am within 200 mile's of my 5500 target so happy with that
Still not gone over the 55 mile ride length mainly down to time constraints when out
Still buying and selling although sales have been quieter in the last 6 months
Tried another couple of carbon machines and have decided they are nothing to rave about at all

Glow worm

Legendary Member
192 miles to go before hitting my 3000 mile target for the year (I don't know why the tracker says 3500- I can't seem to change that). Touch and go if I make it. A combination of fewer commutes (working more at home these days), and only a couple of longer rides to Norfolk have meant lower mileage this year - also no cycling trip to The Netherlands this year which I aim to rectify in 2019!

Top Bottom