2018 Tour de Yorkshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Wish they would plan it for my days off :blush: Day 1 it comes within 3 miles of home, luckily I'm on a late shift, so I'll get to see the race before work, If I cycle to Sigglesthorne, only about 6 miles I'll get to see them twice :okay:

I'm off work for the final day, so will drive over to my parents near Halifax & ride out to watch at some point en-route.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Drat - stage 4 is a local one but I won't get to see it round here! My cousin always comes down from Scotland on the Friday so we drive out to watch the Saturday stage and then ride the sportive on the Sunday. We will have to drive to somewhere on the route on Saturday and then drive out to Leeds on the Sunday and miss watching the stage pass along the Calder Valley.

That stage 4 route looks really tough! Goose Eye is a steep climb but it isn't very long. Park Rash (near Kettlewell) is a brutal climb and would be a fantastic place to watch the peloton ascend in painful slo-mo. I am sure that thousands of fans will have exactly the same idea so get there early. Greenhow Hill out of Pateley Bridge will also be good - there are about 3 steep ramps on it. Otley Chevin is about 1 mile at a steady 10% so that will be another great vantage point.

400bhp

Guru
Drat - stage 4 is a local one but I won't get to see it round here! My cousin always comes down from Scotland on the Friday so we drive out to watch the Saturday stage and then ride the sportive on the Sunday. We will have to drive to somewhere on the route on Saturday and then drive out to Leeds on the Sunday and miss watching the stage pass along the Calder Valley.

That stage 4 route looks really tough! Goose Eye is a steep climb but it isn't very long. Park Rash (near Kettlewell) is a brutal climb and would be a fantastic place to watch the peloton ascend in painful slo-mo. I am sure that thousands of fans will have exactly the same idea so get there early. Greenhow Hill out of Pateley Bridge will also be good - there are about 3 steep ramps on it. Otley Chevin is about 1 mile at a steady 10% so that will be another great vantage point.

Good opportunities on the stage to watch it twice too.:becool:

Ace! It's coming through Penistone again! :bravo:

So I get the fun of hearing them rename Cheese bottom to Thurgoland Bank again!

Venod

Eh up
Its coming through Pontefract :smile:hope they get the roads sorted, further along the route, Old Pool Bank is a good climb for us mere mortals probably nothing for the pro's.

Is there a GPS file of the routes anywhere ?

Last edited:
Its coming through Pontefract :smile:hope they get the roads sorted, further along the route, Old Pool Bank is a good climb for us mere mortals probably nothing for the pro's.

Is there a GPS file of the routes anywhere ?

Yes, through Ackworth, so some nice buildings there for the 'helicopter cameras
And, previously, Hooton Pagnall will look damned fine!!!

However, they'll have to keep going through South Elmsall, & Airedale!!

Apologies for naughty word
13151831_1084716381587237_8034229112904800754_n.jpg

Stopped in Elmsall!.jpg

Sometimes, and i hate to admit this, i don't get northern jokes.
South Elmsall has a slightly unsavoury image, as does Airedale (an estate in Castleford, not the 'valley of the -River-Aire)
Granted, the overwhelming population are probably fine, but like Liverpool, with its 'Scallys', it has an image problem

Hooton Pagnell is like a Cotswolds village transferred to the South Yorkshire coalfields area
Eg, from my files
(with my old Discovery, in a couple)

DSCF3492.JPG South Yorkshire Scenes. Hooton Pagnell. 2.JPG South Yorkshire Scenes. Hooton Pagnell. 4. Church Lane.JPG South Yorkshire Scenes. Hooton Pagnell. 6. The Hall 1.JPG South Yorkshire Scenes. Hooton Pagnell. 9. Market Cross. 3.JPG South Yorkshire Scenes. Hooton Pagnell. 9. Market Cross. 2.JPG South Yorkshire Scenes. Hooton Pagnell.1.JPG

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/539257
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1715377

Top Bottom