2018 Tour de Yorkshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
Men's and women's races both live on ITV4, starting soon.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There is a chance that I will have time to cycle to Ilkley tomorrow to watch the finish of the women's race on the Cow & Calf climb. Even if I do go for that, I will have to leave before the men's race.

It looks like I might be walking up to Pecket Well (above Hebden Bridge) to watch the Men's race go by on Sunday.

@DCLane
Is young Womersley a 'thorper too. like his granddad??

A rider I know is in it this year....1
Well, to be honest, I only met her last year, but I've known the family for almost 30 years
Sophie Thackray ('Torelli Brother' team)
Dad (Robert), uncle (Richard) were both stalwarts of the National Junior, then Senior Cyclo-Cross squads, & both rode at Roundhay Park, in 1992, when Roger Hammond took the 'Rainbow'
Phil & Norah (grandparents) are still very involved in organising CX races in Yorkshire

I'll have to find out if Robert was at the start, & thus maybe spoke with Hammond, that is if he was the DS that Dimension Data sent over?

1 It was two riders last year, as one was my daughters PE Tutor, riding for Sunsport Velo (as was Sophie)

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Good to see Mike Cuming in the break. Local lad to me and a thoroughly nice guy. His dad was handy road man back in the day winning the Tour of Ireland. Still races today for the Graham Weigh team in LVRC and TLI races around here.

ColinJ

There is a chance that I will have time to cycle to Ilkley tomorrow to watch the finish of the women's race on the Cow & Calf climb. Even if I do go for that, I will have to leave before the men's race.
I DID go ... There was a great crowd for the women's race at lunchtime. I imagine that the crowds for the arrival of the men's race in the evening must have been huge!

Cow and Calf crowd #1.jpg

Cow and Calf crowd #2.jpg

I might post later about some of the things I saw and heard.

I'm soon going off to Thirsk with my cousin to watch the race pass through there. The Scarborough finish is a bit too far away for us and Sutton Bank is too hard to get to. (He is getting up at 04:30 tomorrow to go off and do the sportive so doesn't want to ride today or spend all day driving and getting back late.)

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
From today's Yorkshire Cycling Sales on FaceBook.

Harry Tanfieldto Yorkshire Cycling Sales
22 mins ·

TDY Long Sleeve Blue Jersey Official ASO
£999
Dishforth
RARE chance to own a piece of history right here. First English, ( + Yorkshire man) to win a stage of TDY. Grab an ABSOLUTE bargain right there
1f61c.png

31950440_987756708058317_9122249046210117632_n.jpg

ColinJ

Coming out of Thirsk take a left to Felixkirk then on to Boltby then up Sneck Yate Bank and right to the Top of Sutton bank, maybe a bit busy though.

Check out Sneck Yate Bank for when you go back and ride it.
We didn't get to see the race today We were a bit late setting off but thought that we would make up the time on the M62. Unfortunately, we found police blocking the slip road at Milnrow. It was due to a lorry fire.

By the time we got to Leeds it was clear that the only way we could have been sure to get ahead of the peloton would have been to go to Scarborough but we had already ruled that out.

We went to a bike shop in Leeds instead and then did a scenic drive back.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I watched the roll out on television before nipping up to the entrance to my static caravan's park to see the race pass live.

There must have been a couple of hundred people up there, not bad for the middle of nowhere.

Photography, particularly sports photography, isn't my thing, so I was quite pleased to get an image - even if a bit blurred - of the breakaway.

P1000526.JPG

Astana at the head of the peloton - pleased to get the chopper in.

P1000528.JPG

(Most) of Astana again.

P1000529.JPG

Further down the peloton.

P1000530.JPG

A better shot of the chopper in exchange for a poorer shot of the riders.

I've no idea how to deal with the sunshine, just leave the camera on 'auto', point and shoot.

P1000531.JPG

Getting further down the peloton.

P1000532.JPG

P1000533.JPG

The start of the support caravan.

P1000535.JPG

A little while after the race had passed I rode the few miles into Bedale.

I was surprised at the amount of banners and bunting, and a couple of the villages had fairs, live entertainment and the like.

Barbies were being held in front gardens, and it looked like a road club had put up a small stand with two bikes on turbo trainers for visitors to try.

That was all within about four miles, so quite some turnout if repeated over the length of the stage.

ColinJ

I watched the riders at Pecket Well, half way up the climb from Hebden Bridge The peloton were going at just a steady pace but a couple of riders already seemed to be struggling. If so, then they are going to have a VERY bad day!

Tip for the day: If you take a compact digital camera to a bike race, don't spend 10 minutes looking for the photos on your phone when you get back! :whistle:

Top Bottom