2019 Structured training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
New FTP of 251 watts. I did the ramp test as I didn't want to take any fatigue from a 20 min test into the Easter Arrow this Friday. First time I have done the ramp test and must say I quite liked it. No need to guess an intensity and try and pace it for 20 mins. It only hurt for the last 4-5 mins of hanging on.

Easter Arrow this Friday then my PBP 300 the weekend after. Will try a workout at new intensities on Mon or Tue next week once the 400km plus of Arrow are out of the legs.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
With PBP 300km qualifier safely out the way back on turbo during the week. Got my 400km qualifier in 9 days so will ease back a bit next week to be fresh. Two week gap then 600km qualifier. Will go by how recovered I feel after 400 but the qualifiers are the important but right now. I can push my fitness a bit more for PBP once qualifiers finished.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Bum. Having completed a ‘Speciality Phase’ on TrainerRoad, my latest FTP shows I’ve lost nearly 5% fitness. (4 week hiatus) Chest faction that I got rid of fairly quickly too. I also ‘feel’ fat although about the same weight.

Doing the Half Triathlon build phase now. It’ll be interesting to see how quickly I get back to my last FTP.

Last edited:

Nebulous

Guru
I've had a bad cold, coughing up loads of gunk for over a week since my 600. Had very little planned anyway as my SR was complete. Now I have an entry for PBP I need to pick it up and plan my next few weeks.

huwsparky

Über Member
Bum. Having completed a ‘Speciality Phase’ on TrainerRoad, my latest FTP shows I’ve lost nearly 5% fitness. (4 week hiatus) Chest faction that I got rid of fairly quickly too. I also ‘feel’ fat although about the same weight.

Doing the Half Triathlon build phase now. It’ll be interesting to see how quickly I get back to my last FTP.
Are you starting out in Tri now? If so I wouldn't worry too much about getting back to your FTP. Just concentrating on getting your power back on the bike isn't necessarily your best way of shaving time off your 70.3 time. Your Tri training should be scheduled depending on what your strength and weaknesses are.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Are you starting out in Tri now?...

No. I just fancy a slight variety in the workout structure and the Tri workouts looked suitable. To be frank, I’m happiest when my general fitness is good. Being a full value Audax rider I am not 100% reliant on specificity. I could also do with shifting the extra fatty tissue I gained. I doubt it was muscle. That’s my hunch and also what the bathroom scales suggest. It measures bone mass and water too.

huwsparky

Über Member
No. I just fancy a slight variety in the workout structure and the Tri workouts looked suitable. To be frank, I’m happiest when my general fitness is good. Being a full value Audax rider I am not 100% reliant on specificity. I could also do with shifting the extra fatty tissue I gained. I doubt it was muscle. That’s my hunch and also what the bathroom scales suggest. It measures bone mass and water too.
You'll feel lighter on your feet throwing some run training in, I can guarantee you that much. If you're not a runner don't set yourself any milage targets as it's not quite the same as cycling, you'll screw yourself over before you know it. Best thing I did was learning to run properly.

That's where I would struggle with Tri: my knees are smegged up and I can't swim...

This means more cycling. Imagine the hardship...

Nebulous

Guru
Now qualified for PBP got on turbo first thing this morning. Did a FTP test and as suspected it dropped whilst I completed my 400 and 600 qualifiers. Now going to mix hill work with turbo to give fitness a boost ahead of PBP.

I've struggled a bit coming out of my 600. Had a bad cold, coughing up heaps of gunk and didn't do much for two weeks. There is a lot of learning there for me - listen to my own body, not other people (some people I know were doing back-to-back 600s.) At my age recovery will take longer than for somebody younger.

I did a ramp test almost a week ago and my ftp has dropped as well, 239 down from 260.

I spend my weekends 50 miles away, so for the last 3 weeks I've been cycling one way, doing a fast 50, or 52 miles, trying to add some speed. That is going well, I can sustain a high intensity effor for close on 3 hours. I'm thinking about trying my club TT this week as well, work and weather allowing. That will be my first 10 for about 6 years.

I've mixed views about any long rides before PBP. Within the next two weeks I'm doing a diy 200, but may not do any longer distances than that before PBP. One possibility would be two rides on consecutive days, so possibly two 150s.

PBP is getting scarily close.

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
After almost 6 months of the bike I’ve decided to knuckle down , winter miles summer smiles and all that .
Started TrainerRoad base 6 week mid 1and the ramp test brought me to a miserly 167.
Carried on with this and found it far to easy.
After 6 weeks I decided to start again , took the ramp test and got up to 221 and a power to weight ratio of 3:08.
The effort was far more taxing but manageable.
6 weeks on and have taken the ramp test again today for sweet spot mid 2 and have risen another 40 watts to 261 and power to weight up to 3:69.
Starting to feel the benefits out on the road as well as dropping 4lbs in the last six weeks.

Top Bottom