2019 Structured training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Big ride on Saturday (305km) Full rest on Sunday, school run (17km) on Monday and Tuesday.

Wasn’t quite functional for a Vo2 Max session so settled with sweet spot for an hour. I feel ok considering.

This is why they emphasise to go easy on your easy days, so you can go hard on your hard days. Bit hard to do when fitting Audax in as well. I have a 100km event on Sunday which I intend to soft pedal in lower zone 2 with plenty of cake at stops. Got all day and nice to take it easy rather than push on like I typically do on longer audaxes.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Long steady state effort today. Got some bar extensions I am trying out for PBP so was trying out positions using them. Too high first time, too low second time. Will have another fettle tomorrow with proper outing on Sunday's 100km.

Nebulous

Guru
Legs still a bit sore from long hard ride on Sunday. Will do any easy ride in rain tomorrow then back on intervals on Wednesday.

What happened to the soft pedalling with lots of cake?

I've been feeling quite fatigued for the last week. I think I may have had a virus, dialled back the effort a bit. It seems to be finally shifting. I've a 300 in less than two weeks.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
What happened to the soft pedalling with lots of cake?

I've been feeling quite fatigued for the last week. I think I may have had a virus, dialled back the effort a bit. It seems to be finally shifting. I've a 300 in less than two weeks.

Turned into "Let's see if we can get to the halfway control first". After that we had a good feed but we kept the speed up for some reason.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Active recovery week for me with a few sprints thrown in for good measure by TR. I like those. Then it’s another 4 weeks of graft proceeded by an FTP test.

Really feeling the benefit of Trainer Road. Love it. It scratches an itch I have that I didn’t know I had.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Active recovery week for me with a few sprints thrown in for good measure by TR. I like those. Then it’s another 4 weeks of graft proceeded by an FTP test.

Really feeling the benefit of Trainer Road. Love it. It scratches an itch I have that I didn’t know I had.

Two more weeks till I hit a rest and retest week. At the end of that I have the Easter Arrow then my PBP 300 a week after that. Fettling my bike with PBP compliant bar extensions at moment. Just fitted pipe lagging to my handlebars to act as arm rests when on extensions, without taking up too much space. So can still hold handlebars in usual positions when not on extensions. Turbo is good place to practice the positioning before trying changes out on road.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Two more weeks till I hit a rest and retest week. At the end of that I have the Easter Arrow then my PBP 300 a week after that. Fettling my bike with PBP compliant bar extensions at moment. Just fitted pipe lagging to my handlebars to act as arm rests when on extensions, without taking up too much space. So can still hold handlebars in usual positions when not on extensions. Turbo is good place to practice the positioning before trying changes out on road.

I use my turbo as my laboratory too. Just used it to ensure my indexing was nice and sweet. It will stretch out the cables too. I would be really interested in seeing photos of your stubby set up. I use my aero bars a lot as I am often solo. Maybe I am over reliant and it worries me that you can’t have the full monty on PBP, so I sense I may need stubbies by 2023. Long plan faffer Extraordinaire.

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
Just took two ramp tests on TR on consecutive days after my first 6 weeks .
My first test I took in my tt position and my FTP came out exactly the same as I had been training in for the last six weeks .
I was really upset with this as not showing any improvement then realised I had took my first test sitting up so tried again the next day with a 22 watts improvement .
It's not much after 6 weeks but will perciiver.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I use my turbo as my laboratory too. Just used it to ensure my indexing was nice and sweet. It will stretch out the cables too. I would be really interested in seeing photos of your stubby set up. I use my aero bars a lot as I am often solo. Maybe I am over reliant and it worries me that you can’t have the full monty on PBP, so I sense I may need stubbies by 2023. Long plan faffer Extraordinaire.

Will share photos when done. Need to order some bar tape, then should be able to finish setup.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Threshold intervals today. My HRV App scored me a perfect 10 in other words go for it. Didn't feel like it in morning despite what app said so did them this evening. Nailed the session so pleased with that. VO2 Max on Friday then a low intensity long ride on Sat. Next week is final week before rest and test then build 2 phase starts. Will get some walking in tomorrow in the forecast rain.

Edited to add that cleat bolt came out mid session but cleat managed to stay attached if a little up and down / loose at top of pedal stroke.

Last edited:
Top Bottom