2019 Structured training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
@Heltor Chasca Here is a picture of my PBP compliant bar extensions. The pipe lagging is 9mm thick so about three times the best bar tape. Makes for a comfy arm rest without taking up same space as modern tri bar arm rests. The pipe lagging foam is wrapped in no tear clear tape typically used to seal boxes. So bit of waterproofing / protection from my sweat.

20190406_101752.jpg

I will be getting more bar tape. The new bar tape will go on bars and I will put some of the old bar tape on the extensions. The photo is from this morning when I was testing out the position. Nice and comfy and stable, and takes weight off the hands nicely. More aero than hoods but not as aero as modern full length tri bars. Main aim for me is additional comfortable hand positions on the long audaxes.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
@Heltor Chasca Here is a picture of my PBP compliant bar extensions. The pipe lagging is 9mm thick so about three times the best bar tape. Makes for a comfy arm rest without taking up same space as modern tri bar arm rests. The pipe lagging foam is wrapped in no tear clear tape typically used to seal boxes. So bit of waterproofing / protection from my sweat.

View attachment 461077

I will be getting more bar tape. The new bar tape will go on bars and I will put some of the old bar tape on the extensions. The photo is from this morning when I was testing out the position. Nice and comfy and stable, and takes weight off the hands nicely. More aero than hoods but not as aero as modern full length tri bars. Main aim for me is additional comfortable hand positions on the long audaxes.

Much appreciated. Thank you. And if you can play flute or pan pipes, that’s your in ride entertainment sorted...

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I tries the ramp test on Zwift today after a rest week and achieved an FTP of 251W. I'm pretty pleased with that, my previous score was 235 around 6 weeks ago :okay:

Strangely enough 235w is where my FTP was four weeks ago. I am hoping to hit 250w at my next retest next week. I know it is up, just a question of how much. Truth will tell next week.

Nebulous

Guru
I probably should do a proper ftp test. It never seems to fit with everything else I'm doing. Hit my best 5 second power earlier this week, averaged 244 watts over 45 minutes yesterday, then did 52 miles outside today with 700 metres of climb in 2 hours 51 minutes. On my steel audax bike with guards as well, not my carbon race bike. So it certainly feels as though the work I've put in is showing some benefits.

I've a 300km audax on Saturday, so an FTP test this week wouldn't be sensible.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
New FTP day today. 3.29 FTP/kg which is a scruffy number that I would have liked to round up. However I was about to faint on the trainer, so not today I’m afraid. But to me that represents a 4.6% improvement which I am very pleased with.

I blame the long hours spent on Audax rides, a couple of faster, short, leg opening club rides at the weekend and AC/DC while doing the test.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
New FTP day today. 3.29 FTP/kg which is a scruffy number that I would have liked to round up. However I was about to faint on the trainer, so not today I’m afraid. But to me that represents a 4.6% improvement which I am very pleased with.

I blame the long hours spent on Audax rides, a couple of faster, short, leg opening club rides at the weekend and AC/DC while doing the test.

Steady increase. We'd all like the big increases each retest but apart from when you first start structured training most increases will be increments similar to what you have achieved.

Top Bottom