2021 Brompton C-Line Explore

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
They are a great bit of kit, but mine is not used as a commuter (just for short errands in to town and to get me to the pub) so the basket is perfect for my super-heavy Kryptonite U-Lock and a reasonable bag of groceries, best thing is that off the bike it folds completely flat.

I did fabricate my own wire basket for my old Brompton, but I’m now a complete convert.

Indeed - I imagine they're absolutely ideal for that sort of work; I've definitely appreciated the ability to casually chuck bits into mine while shopping etc - however that's not the core use of the bike in my case.

This morning's commute was the big test of my new gear - namely the Brompton London waterproof jacket and Borough waterproof bag.

Given the bag's cavernous size I'd made an effort to leave the rucksack at home and use the bag in isolation. Packing it last night revealed a little room to spare, although I potentially don't yet have everything I'd want to carry in it, such as waterproof overtrousers.

Generous capacity aside there were a few obvious issues with using this bag on its own compared to taking the rucksack as well, namely:

- Reduced accessibility to contents due to the faff of the rolltop setup and lack of external zipped pockets
- Reduced ability to compartmentalise / prioritise access to stuff due to the scant provision of appropriate pockets etc

In addition, unless I duplicate essential stuff across both bags (easy with meds and basic tools, less easy with expensive gear like the head torch) I'll be left having to swap stuff between bags - with the associated faff and risk of leaving neccessaries behind if I forget.

The forecast for this morning was pretty grim and proved to be accurate. I left the house as fortified against the elements as possible - Brompton jacket over my nice Merino baselayer, lightweight Mountain Warehouse 3/4 lengths (in the absence of any waterproof legwear), usual (knackered but useable) Scarpa goretex shoes and my polycotton Prendas cap in the hope this would keep off the worst of the rain.

I also chanced my Primarni wayfairers with yellow lenses as these are great for enhancing contrast and miraculously make the image look brighter while filtering out light. I suspect they're also great at making me look like a total bellend..

The rain hadn't abated by the time I got to the end of the car journey, but I soldiered on. Some lights might not have been a bad idea, but they were buried within the bag and I'd soon be on the tow path in any case.

All the appropriate gear did a decent job of sheltering me from the elements; the shorts and subsequently my boxers being saturated after about 10 minutes. The journey was made all the more fun by the increasing amount of unavoidable waterlogged flora hanging into the tow path which repeatedly twatted me in the face; my yellow dickhead goggles mercifully protecting my eyes from all the mayhem and water.

While far from fun it was at least manageable; especially in the knowledge that I'd probably have remained pretty if I had appropriate legwear.

I arrived at work pretty early, having made good time with a tailwind. Getting myself sorted was a bit of a faff with all the wet gear and the unfamiliar bag, but I got there in the end. I couldn't be bothered to change and my kecks were finally dry by early afternoon..

IMG_20230724_084432.jpg

The bag did an excellent job of keeping everything dry, but I think will require some form of additional organisation / compartmentalisation if it's going to be of ongoing practical use. As it stands I have too many things that don't want to knock against each other to not separate them somehow.

I also have no complaints about the coat; not that I was smashing it but it seemed to breath OK and I didn't get too warm with the pit vents open half way.

The bike folded down into the corner of the office and ominious crunchy-scrapy noises reminded me that I need to try and address the issue with crap getting into the seatpost tube in the frame, as both this and the seatpost itself continue to pick up damage through use :sad:

The chain has now started to squeak again as well - I know what it wants to be replaced with and I'll probably buy one from Halfords with my Christmas bonus money; however I want to take advantage of their discount; which means finding more legitimate stuff to add to the order to push it over the promo threashold.

Thankfully the journey home was dry and a lot more pleasant, at least until I got back to a dead car as I'd left the lights on all day.. fortunately Green Flag were pretty efficient and I spent most of my time waiting in the local, so it could have been worse and I think I handled the situation better than I otherwise might thanks to the soothing effect of the time on the bike :smile:

IMG_20230724_173810.jpg

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
Brompton jacket over my nice Merino baselayer, lightweight Mountain Warehouse 3/4 lengths (in the absence of any waterproof legwear), usual (knackered but useable) Scarpa goretex shoes and my polycotton Prendas cap in the hope this would keep off the worst of the rain.

@Accy cyclist would be quite envious of that sartorial elegance!

FrankCrank

Old layabout
Indeed - I imagine they're absolutely ideal for that sort of work; I've definitely appreciated the ability to casually chuck bits into mine while shopping etc - however that's not the core use of the bike in my case.

This morning's commute was the big test of my new gear - namely the Brompton London waterproof jacket and Borough waterproof bag.

Given the bag's cavernous size I'd made an effort to leave the rucksack at home and use the bag in isolation. Packing it last night revealed a little room to spare, although I potentially don't yet have everything I'd want to carry in it, such as waterproof overtrousers.

Generous capacity aside there were a few obvious issues with using this bag on its own compared to taking the rucksack as well, namely:

- Reduced accessibility to contents due to the faff of the rolltop setup and lack of external zipped pockets
- Reduced ability to compartmentalise / prioritise access to stuff due to the scant provision of appropriate pockets etc

In addition, unless I duplicate essential stuff across both bags (easy with meds and basic tools, less easy with expensive gear like the head torch) I'll be left having to swap stuff between bags - with the associated faff and risk of leaving neccessaries behind if I forget.

The forecast for this morning was pretty grim and proved to be accurate. I left the house as fortified against the elements as possible - Brompton jacket over my nice Merino baselayer, lightweight Mountain Warehouse 3/4 lengths (in the absence of any waterproof legwear), usual (knackered but useable) Scarpa goretex shoes and my polycotton Prendas cap in the hope this would keep off the worst of the rain.

I also chanced my Primarni wayfairers with yellow lenses as these are great for enhancing contrast and miraculously make the image look brighter while filtering out light. I suspect they're also great at making me look like a total bellend..

The rain hadn't abated by the time I got to the end of the car journey, but I soldiered on. Some lights might not have been a bad idea, but they were buried within the bag and I'd soon be on the tow path in any case.

All the appropriate gear did a decent job of sheltering me from the elements; the shorts and subsequently my boxers being saturated after about 10 minutes. The journey was made all the more fun by the increasing amount of unavoidable waterlogged flora hanging into the tow path which repeatedly twatted me in the face; my yellow dickhead goggles mercifully protecting my eyes from all the mayhem and water.

While far from fun it was at least manageable; especially in the knowledge that I'd probably have remained pretty if I had appropriate legwear.

I arrived at work pretty early, having made good time with a tailwind. Getting myself sorted was a bit of a faff with all the wet gear and the unfamiliar bag, but I got there in the end. I couldn't be bothered to change and my kecks were finally dry by early afternoon..

View attachment 700038

The bag did an excellent job of keeping everything dry, but I think will require some form of additional organisation / compartmentalisation if it's going to be of ongoing practical use. As it stands I have too many things that don't want to knock against each other to not separate them somehow.

I also have no complaints about the coat; not that I was smashing it but it seemed to breath OK and I didn't get too warm with the pit vents open half way.

The bike folded down into the corner of the office and ominious crunchy-scrapy noises reminded me that I need to try and address the issue with crap getting into the seatpost tube in the frame, as both this and the seatpost itself continue to pick up damage through use :sad:

The chain has now started to squeak again as well - I know what it wants to be replaced with and I'll probably buy one from Halfords with my Christmas bonus money; however I want to take advantage of their discount; which means finding more legitimate stuff to add to the order to push it over the promo threashold.

Thankfully the journey home was dry and a lot more pleasant, at least until I got back to a dead car as I'd left the lights on all day.. fortunately Green Flag were pretty efficient and I spent most of my time waiting in the local, so it could have been worse and I think I handled the situation better than I otherwise might thanks to the soothing effect of the time on the bike :smile:

View attachment 700056

When you fold the bike up can it fit in the bag?

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

lol - somehow I doubt that :tongue:

That bag is quite some size!

When you fold the bike up can it fit in the bag?
Yes, it's quite large but manageable and I have quite a lot of stuff to cart around / like to cater for all eventualities as it keeps the anxiety at bay.

Besides, if it comes to it I can always climb inside with the bike and have a little sleep in the dry :tongue:

It's now a little over a month since I started cycling in and a bit less over a month since I last filled the car up; with today's trip to the petrol station suggesting a little over 48mpg from the last tank. I'd hoped for maybe a bit better, however I've not driven like a grandad throughout and I guess the distance being covered has more cold starts per mile; even if I'm missing out a lot of stop-start traffic and idling.

I'm not complaining and reckon the bike has so far saved me about a tank of fuel or ballpark 5% of what it owes me, depending on how this is calculated... and of course that's not to mention the avoidance of disproportionate wear on the car, resources squandered, air polluted or mental health shredded :smile:

This morning's ride was very pleasant and a welcome contrast to yesterday's. I gave my new Mountain Warehouse zip-off trousers an outing with generally favourable results - great for keeping off the morning chill but I didn't boil in the bag.

I was actually a bit chilly in my shirt until I'd warmed up, which didn't take too long thanks to an uncharacteristically quick ride - probably due in part to its Faith No More and Pantera soundtrack.. On the whole it felt great to be putting some effort in and I'm getting increasingly comfortable on the bike; with it now feeling more predictable when out of the saddle.

It looks like tomorrow's ride home is going to be wet again and the hunt for waterproof overtrousers continues... Current favourite is a pair of Craghoppers Ascent items which I'm hoping I might be able to source locally, although I think this might be wishful thinking...

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
It's great the bike is working out for you, and I'm sure overtime your commute will become second nature, or as some might put it unconsciously competent.

From what I read and understand of your posts the cycling part of your commute seems to be having a positive effect on your mental health. Long may it continue.

I look forward to reading more of your Brompton rides and how you adapt your commute as the different challenges present themselves.

It's great the bike is working out for you, and I'm sure overtime your commute will become second nature, or as some might put it unconsciously competent.

From what I read and understand of your posts the cycling part of your commute seems to be having a positive effect on your mental health. Long may it continue.

I look forward to reading more of your Brompton rides and how you adapt your commute as the different challenges present themselves.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What he said 😎👍

tinywheels

Über Member
lol - somehow I doubt that :tongue:

May I suggest the showers pass range of clothing.
I find nothing comes close, it's not cheap but like a brompton it's outstanding at what it's made for.

Yes, it's quite large but manageable and I have quite a lot of stuff to cart around / like to cater for all eventualities as it keeps the anxiety at bay.

Besides, if it comes to it I can always climb inside with the bike and have a little sleep in the dry :tongue:

It's now a little over a month since I started cycling in and a bit less over a month since I last filled the car up; with today's trip to the petrol station suggesting a little over 48mpg from the last tank. I'd hoped for maybe a bit better, however I've not driven like a grandad throughout and I guess the distance being covered has more cold starts per mile; even if I'm missing out a lot of stop-start traffic and idling.

I'm not complaining and reckon the bike has so far saved me about a tank of fuel or ballpark 5% of what it owes me, depending on how this is calculated... and of course that's not to mention the avoidance of disproportionate wear on the car, resources squandered, air polluted or mental health shredded :smile:

This morning's ride was very pleasant and a welcome contrast to yesterday's. I gave my new Mountain Warehouse zip-off trousers an outing with generally favourable results - great for keeping off the morning chill but I didn't boil in the bag.

I was actually a bit chilly in my shirt until I'd warmed up, which didn't take too long thanks to an uncharacteristically quick ride - probably due in part to its Faith No More and Pantera soundtrack.. On the whole it felt great to be putting some effort in and I'm getting increasingly comfortable on the bike; with it now feeling more predictable when out of the saddle.

It looks like tomorrow's ride home is going to be wet again and the hunt for waterproof overtrousers continues... Current favourite is a pair of Craghoppers Ascent items which I'm hoping I might be able to source locally, although I think this might be wishful thinking...

Kell

Veteran
I was actually a bit chilly in my shirt until I'd warmed up, which didn't take too long thanks to an uncharacteristically quick ride -

Best advice I ever got was to ‘dress for the second mile’

I tend to overheat quite quickly so don’t tend to overdo it these days on the layers. But it takes a bit of time to know how hot you’ll get.

I’d also say that advice should have a caveat for anyone with multi-modal commutes/rides. I have a 3 mile ride to the station, but then I can be standing around for anything up to 20 minutes on a platform. Then a 20 minute train journey which can be packed and hot - then a further 8.5 mile at the end.

I often see people with what I think is way too much kit on for the temps, but everyone’s different.

That " dress for the second mile " advice is what I heard for running. I still tend to ignore it when it starts getting chilly, then a couple of miles into the run start thinking " idiot "

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Thanks - appreciate your ongoing support and I'm glad you apparently see some worth in my posts as even I'm aware of how crushingly tedious and inconsequential they can be!

I hope at least that this thread might provide some insight into the benefits, pitfalls and other aspects of Brompton ownership / commuting :smile:

tinywheels said:
May I suggest the showers pass range of clothing.
I find nothing comes close, it's not cheap but like a brompton it's outstanding at what it's made for.
Thanks - the name rings a bell but I'm not really familiar; will check them out :smile:

Best advice I ever got was to ‘dress for the second mile’

I tend to overheat quite quickly so don’t tend to overdo it these days on the layers. But it takes a bit of time to know how hot you’ll get.

I’d also say that advice should have a caveat for anyone with multi-modal commutes/rides. I have a 3 mile ride to the station, but then I can be standing around for anything up to 20 minutes on a platform. Then a 20 minute train journey which can be packed and hot - then a further 8.5 mile at the end.

I often see people with what I think is way too much kit on for the temps, but everyone’s different.

That " dress for the second mile " advice is what I heard for running. I still tend to ignore it when it starts getting chilly, then a couple of miles into the run start thinking " idiot "
Thanks both - while not familiar with that mantra exactly, I'm acquanted with the idea of starting off chilly so you're hopefully about right when warmed up.

Thankfully my commute is pretty basic with one car journey followed by the ride; however I can appreciate how using several different modes of transport over the duration could be a pain; I guess the only option is to try and address this with layering up / down as appropriate. Bit of a pain logisitically if you're already managing a sizeable bag and folding bike however!

Funny how people are different in this regard - I've seen central / south-American looking delivery drivers around Oxford in bloody great Parkas in the midst of summer!

I'll spare the self-indulgent peripheral tedium of the ins and outs of yesterday's commute - other than to say that the ride in was nice; the ride out not - due to exhaustion, rattyness and rain.

Brief takeaways from this thrilling week in OCD-Brompton-ownership:

I'm still concerned that the lovely little brass protection plate on the BB is creeping gradually upwards under repeated influence from the folded rear wheel, so might have to replace this with a larger item that will hopefully be more resistant to this.

My seatpost and rear inside of the seatpost tube continue to get scuffed up by the grit collected in grotty weather, however I've found a ouple of half-arsed workarounds to minimise this damage. After a wet ride a finger can be run around the inside rear of the tube in the frame to remove accumulated grit. The full length of the extended seatpost can be wiped down with a rag before collapse to remove surface grot. Finally, extending the seatpost can be done gently with a single finger under each side of the seat, pulling directly upwards. This reduces side radial loading on the post, so if there is grit present is less likely to cause damage.

I'm still yet to add proper clear protection tape to the bike - all areas bar one are protected with gaffer / PVC tape; the side of the frame behind the hinge isn't because that present is too short. Until recently the damage was very light scuffing that would have T-cut out; yesterday I discovered it's deeper in one place and now I'm kicking myself for not getting it sorted earlier :sad:

Having used the new gear a few times now I'm pretty happy with it.

he coat is a nice conforming fit so doesn't feel like a sail, and I particularly like the ability to button the collar for a good seal at the neck; which makes you feel a bit more cacooned away from the grotty weather. Pit vents are welcome although I think the zips feel a little invasive when fully done up. Not overly keen on the velco at the wrists but it performs its function well-enough. While I'd probably not nec. have chosen the jackets on aesthetics having tried it on, it looks smart and pretty neutral. Breathability continues to feel reasonable and I've no complaints about water ingress. Certainly can't complain for what I paid for it anyway!

The bag has grown on me in some ways - capacity is great as it (currently) takes all I need it to with a bit of space to spare; useful this week for taking a modest amount of shopping home on top of what I already had with me.

IMO it looks fairly stylish and feels very well made, although the fabric is a little abrasive and I think picks up marks easily (potentially by rubbing stuff off other surfaces such as paint from the wall; rather than damage to the bag). So far it's given no cause for concern about its ability to keep its contents dry and affords good peace of mind about the wellbeing of what's inside.

It feels capable and secure, while pretty comfortable and manageable both on and off the bike.

On the down side as predicted the lack of easily-available pockets is an issue. It's fine for stuff you simply want to get from one end of the journey to the other, but offers little in the way of easy access to items you might want to get to throughout the journey.. in my case such things include stuff that has to go on and off the bike for various reasons such as the trip computer and lights, in addition to other general stuff such as my wallet, phone and water bottle. Sunglasses can be hung from one of the loops on the front, although are a bit exposed.

I've been using one of the rear roll-top pockets for the water bottle however it's not ideal as it's too big - so losing otherwise useable storage space as well as being less than ideal for getting the bottle out. I'd like to relocate the bottle to somewhere else (maybe on the stem; although the trip computer mount might cause issues here) and try to get some better compartmentalisation inside the rear pockets - perhaps with some sort of tool roll or smaller zipped cylindrical bag..?

Another slight annoyance is the central strap that comes up from the bottom of the bag; in that it can fall through its retainer on the front of the bag and potentially get caught in the wheel.. perhaps a well-placed safety pin would address this.

I do intend to persevere with this bag in isolation however as it's nice not having to carry two, while losing the rucksack would likely make my clothes last longer as well as reducing / trapping less sweat; so making it more viable to wear the same clothes all day.

I think that's about all for now :smile:

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
The chrome seat post is much less prone to marking and scratches than the black one. One solution would be to fit a chrome post (£28 new) and just pack the black one away. Having to worry about it is another layer of anxiety I’m sure you could do without.

Your brass square on the BB will move because of the force of the tyre and there’s nothing to support it, the Chinese protectors are cut to fit the BB and seat tube so don’t move.

Keep the posts coming, I love reading them, especially all the Oxford content, you, me and @EltonFrog should meet up for a beer one evening.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The chrome seat post is much less prone to marking and scratches than the black one. One solution would be to fit a chrome post (£28 new) and just pack the black one away. Having to worry about it is another layer of anxiety I’m sure you could do without.

Your brass square on the BB will move because of the force of the tyre and there’s nothing to support it, the Chinese protectors are cut to fit the BB and seat tube so don’t move.

Keep the posts coming, I love reading them, especially all the Oxford content, you, me and @EltonFrog should meet up for a beer one evening.

I’d be up for that.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Thanks - I had considered that however I think it would grate with the rest of the bike's aesthetic and in any case, the one fitted is now less than perfect. I'm more concerned about the contact point at the bottom of the seatpost tube in the frame tbh. I hear this is often a rust initiation point and I can see why from the hammering it gets from the flared end of the tube; especially not sympathetically extended and retracted.

Does the chinese BB cover actually have a "hard stop" anywhere on the frame? I assumed it would just remain in place given the significant surface area of its adhesive tape.

Ta for the encouragement; it's all getting a bit stagnant now although the bike's still not where I want it to be. I'm pretty confident that the need for constant fettling should die away once I've got everything protected / sorted.. then it should just be a case of routing maintenance.

A meet at some point with you and @EltonFrog would be grand - perhaps a pint or two one evening in the city?

A quick(?) update of this week's proceedings before the morning's caffeine wears off and I retract into the usual malaise..

Not a whole lot has been done on the bike recently despite the ongoing need. Last week saw two wet rides and a decidedly ginger, squeaky, reluctant chain - so that had another waxing on Monday night. The corrosion is only light and I suspect not as destructive as the wear that would be associated with abrasion were the chain oiled.. but it's obviously not ideal and needs an alternative.

I do find it quite interesting to see how the chain reacts to this treatment. Once waxed and used a little the light rust disappears and I wonder if the slightly corroded surface might give more of a key for the wax to adhere to.. probably wishful thinking and in the absence of any wet lube it's going to corrode to some extent.

I was on the fence about getting a replacement KMC EPT chain from Halfords as they were £28 (a bit more than elsewhere) and I really wanted to buy more stuff to raise the order value past their 20% off promo threshold. Bad news is the promo has now ended, good news is that they were evidently gaming it anyway as the chains are now £23-something.. so no reason not to buy as I can do so with what's left of my work Christmas bonus.

Another benefit of taking this route is that I can probably trust Halfords more than some random ebay seller as there appear to be a fair few fake KMC chains about. This of course is providing I can stomach the hassle of exchanging the gift card for the necessary vouchers..

Sadly it seems that my suspicions about the brass protection on the bottom bracket were correct - the plate slowly moving upwards under action from the tyre. I suspect this happens mostly when the bike is sat folded and the tyre is applying constant force to the place; causing the adhesive tape to slowly creep in shear. I'm going to try a larger plate to see if this is more resistant to movement; and if that fails will have to have a re-think.

The adhesive on the bottom bracket plate clearly has the hardest life of the three I've fitted and I'm pleased to report that the other two are doing great - providing excellent protection to the frame and peace of mind that I'm not destroying the finish every time I fold the bike. In addition they're starting to oxidise so the colour is mellowing a little and becoming more in-keeping with the subdued gold of the frame's brazing..

IMG_20230802_185156.jpg

I've noticed quite a bit of fine grit stuck to the drivetrain components which has obviously been carried there in water splashed onto the bike during a wet ride - most likely from the front wheel. Obviously this is something I'd like to address as it will doubtless lead to accelerated wear of the drivetrain; as well as making the bike look messy.

I've not yet fitted the two replacement mudguards. The front probably needs to be taken as an opportunity to bend the stays to better centre the guard (a faff I'm not looking forward to) while I'm not convinced that the rear won't get ruined like the original after five minutes of fitment.. so I need to think up some way of protecting that - maybe with a bit more brass sheet although it would have to be quite a big piece.

I've noticed the front mudflap folding back on itself during the extreme speeds the Brompton is subject to, which can't be helping its coverage. I do now have two SKS extended mudflaps that I want to try on the guards; however this will be easier said than done as something will require modifying to make them fit - if that's viable at all.

I still haven't pulled my finger out and bought some frame protection tape, as desperately as I want to get it sorted.

On to more ride-centric stuff; I had a great journey in on Tuesday with the sun in the sky and some Led Zep in my ears. I remain unimpressed by the mile or so from where I park in Yarnton to the tow path - the still-unfinished cycle path by the side of the road now roundly forsaken for riding on the road as the surface is much better. On the one hand it's a fantastic feeling to be cruising past hundreds of yards of static traffic, on the other it's a bit sketchy as space is limited and I'm usually right on the white line in the middle of the road, so feel pretty vulnerable.

Yesterday's ride was supposed to be potentially wet both ways, however I was lucky and it remained fine for nearly all of both journeys. I did Sh*tes Direct in Botley in the hope of finding some waterproofs, however they only seemed to have mountains of own-brand cack so my journey and subsequent lugging-around of the Brompton in-store proved in vain.

I had a bit of a brown-trouser moment heading down Cornmarket while crossing a rough transition from the tarmac to some of the harder stone slabs at a shallow angle; evidently the B's little rear wheel didn't much like the idea of coming back out of the rut it found itself in and elected instead to slide along the slippery edge of the slab. Despite sh*tting the bed like a 5yr-old on a balance bike I stayed upright, but it was a timely reminder of the limitations of this platform and thankfully really the only squiffy moment I've had on it re. traction. It could have been a lot worse had this happened to the front wheel instead.

Heading out of the city the nicer-than expected weather was celebrated with a pint in Jericho..

IMG_20230802_183053.jpg

Unfotunately my mood turned very sour after a piece of overhanging bramble tore a hole in the shoulder of my lovely, expensive base layer on the tow path :sad:

While I appreciate one has to be realistic about the level of maintenance on these routes, it irritates me that it's got this bad and tbh could have been a lot worse. On the other hand I'm mindful that I could have avoided it had I been a bit quicker-thinking / less concerned with maintaining speed. I'm hoping that I can get the base layer repaired as I love it and a replacement would cost about what I've saved in fuel so far. I've also noticed some light damage on my new trousers, but hoping this won't be a problem and accept that this will inevitably happen to utility clothing..

I've so far done 18 commutes on the bike over seven weeks; putting around 350 miles on it in my ownership. At 40 minutes each way that works out at about one whole day in the saddle over the 49-ish days I've had it; meaning I've been on the Brompton for about 3% of my time awake during this period :tongue:

I've been keeping a log of my journeys into work on the bike, mainly to get a good idea of how long to leave for the commute. One unexpected benefit has been that it allows me to compare data from lots of similar rides and yesterday I added some more functionality to average mean journey speed and HR data over the last six rides.

I was very pleased to see that, whilst modest my mean speed is trending upward while my mean heart rate is flat / trending downward slightly. I've also graphed mean HR over speed against time to give a crude measure of fitness - with that value trending down; suggesting less exertion for a give speed and that these regular rides are of cardio-vascular benefit.

In addition my legs feel stronger both on and off the bike; which I think has been largely precipitated by the large 20-25% jumps between gears on the Brompton. I'm increasingly happy to grind my way up hills; something I think is all too easily escaped on many bikes with close, low gears - potentially to the detriment of developing rider strength.

While often utterly shattered by the end of the working day / my short working week it feels good to be getting some regular exercise and hopefully improving my fitness :smile:

Last edited:

Kell

Veteran
I've noticed quite a bit of fine grit stuck to the drivetrain components which has obviously been carried there in water splashed onto the bike during a wet ride - most likely from the front wheel. Obviously this is something I'd like to address as it will doubtless lead to accelerated wear of the drivetrain; as well as making the bike look messy.
I seem to suffer from this more than anyone else I know.

It was worse on my commute which went around Regent's Park as the fine dust/sand from the horse track used to get mixed up in there too.

Here's a tip for a full clean of your drivetrain that you might otherwise overlook.

The Jockey wheels in the chain tensioner become clogged with this gunk. But it's not immediately evident it's there. It gets jammed between the teeth and the side rails. A small flat screwdriver will go through the holes in the side and help pry it up and out.

It took me a while to notice this was happening so even though I was taking off the chain, sprockets and chainring to completely clean them, I'd missed this bit.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4nh0aEiBeI

Last edited:
Top Bottom