2021 Brompton C-Line Explore

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Thanks - I had considered that however I think it would grate with the rest of the bike's aesthetic and in any case, the one fitted is now less than perfect. I'm more concerned about the contact point at the bottom of the seatpost tube in the frame tbh. I hear this is often a rust initiation point and I can see why from the hammering it gets from the flared end of the tube; especially not sympathetically extended and retracted.

Does the chinese BB cover actually have a "hard stop" anywhere on the frame? I assumed it would just remain in place given the significant surface area of its adhesive tape.

Ta for the encouragement; it's all getting a bit stagnant now although the bike's still not where I want it to be. I'm pretty confident that the need for constant fettling should die away once I've got everything protected / sorted.. then it should just be a case of routing maintenance.

A meet at some point with you and @EltonFrog would be grand - perhaps a pint or two one evening in the city?

A quick(?) update of this week's proceedings before the morning's caffeine wears off and I retract into the usual malaise..

Not a whole lot has been done on the bike recently despite the ongoing need. Last week saw two wet rides and a decidedly ginger, squeaky, reluctant chain - so that had another waxing on Monday night. The corrosion is only light and I suspect not as destructive as the wear that would be associated with abrasion were the chain oiled.. but it's obviously not ideal and needs an alternative.

I do find it quite interesting to see how the chain reacts to this treatment. Once waxed and used a little the light rust disappears and I wonder if the slightly corroded surface might give more of a key for the wax to adhere to.. probably wishful thinking and in the absence of any wet lube it's going to corrode to some extent.

I was on the fence about getting a replacement KMC EPT chain from Halfords as they were £28 (a bit more than elsewhere) and I really wanted to buy more stuff to raise the order value past their 20% off promo threshold. Bad news is the promo has now ended, good news is that they were evidently gaming it anyway as the chains are now £23-something.. so no reason not to buy as I can do so with what's left of my work Christmas bonus.

Another benefit of taking this route is that I can probably trust Halfords more than some random ebay seller as there appear to be a fair few fake KMC chains about. This of course is providing I can stomach the hassle of exchanging the gift card for the necessary vouchers..

Sadly it seems that my suspicions about the brass protection on the bottom bracket were correct - the plate slowly moving upwards under action from the tyre. I suspect this happens mostly when the bike is sat folded and the tyre is applying constant force to the place; causing the adhesive tape to slowly creep in shear. I'm going to try a larger plate to see if this is more resistant to movement; and if that fails will have to have a re-think.

The adhesive on the bottom bracket plate clearly has the hardest life of the three I've fitted and I'm pleased to report that the other two are doing great - providing excellent protection to the frame and peace of mind that I'm not destroying the finish every time I fold the bike. In addition they're starting to oxidise so the colour is mellowing a little and becoming more in-keeping with the subdued gold of the frame's brazing..

View attachment 701333

I've noticed quite a bit of fine grit stuck to the drivetrain components which has obviously been carried there in water splashed onto the bike during a wet ride - most likely from the front wheel. Obviously this is something I'd like to address as it will doubtless lead to accelerated wear of the drivetrain; as well as making the bike look messy.

I've not yet fitted the two replacement mudguards. The front probably needs to be taken as an opportunity to bend the stays to better centre the guard (a faff I'm not looking forward to) while I'm not convinced that the rear won't get ruined like the original after five minutes of fitment.. so I need to think up some way of protecting that - maybe with a bit more brass sheet although it would have to be quite a big piece.

I've noticed the front mudflap folding back on itself during the extreme speeds the Brompton is subject to, which can't be helping its coverage. I do now have two SKS extended mudflaps that I want to try on the guards; however this will be easier said than done as something will require modifying to make them fit - if that's viable at all.

I still haven't pulled my finger out and bought some frame protection tape, as desperately as I want to get it sorted.

On to more ride-centric stuff; I had a great journey in on Tuesday with the sun in the sky and some Led Zep in my ears. I remain unimpressed by the mile or so from where I park in Yarnton to the tow path - the still-unfinished cycle path by the side of the road now roundly forsaken for riding on the road as the surface is much better. On the one hand it's a fantastic feeling to be cruising past hundreds of yards of static traffic, on the other it's a bit sketchy as space is limited and I'm usually right on the white line in the middle of the road, so feel pretty vulnerable.

Yesterday's ride was supposed to be potentially wet both ways, however I was lucky and it remained fine for nearly all of both journeys. I did Sh*tes Direct in Botley in the hope of finding some waterproofs, however they only seemed to have mountains of own-brand cack so my journey and subsequent lugging-around of the Brompton in-store proved in vain.

I had a bit of a brown-trouser moment heading down Cornmarket while crossing a rough transition from the tarmac to some of the harder stone slabs at a shallow angle; evidently the B's little rear wheel didn't much like the idea of coming back out of the rut it found itself in and elected instead to slide along the slippery edge of the slab. Despite sh*tting the bed like a 5yr-old on a balance bike I stayed upright, but it was a timely reminder of the limitations of this platform and thankfully really the only squiffy moment I've had on it re. traction. It could have been a lot worse had this happened to the front wheel instead.

Heading out of the city the nicer-than expected weather was celebrated with a pint in Jericho..

View attachment 701342

Unfotunately my mood turned very sour after a piece of overhanging bramble tore a hole in the shoulder of my lovely, expensive base layer on the tow path :sad:

While I appreciate one has to be realistic about the level of maintenance on these routes, it irritates me that it's got this bad and tbh could have been a lot worse. On the other hand I'm mindful that I could have avoided it had I been a bit quicker-thinking / less concerned with maintaining speed. I'm hoping that I can get the base layer repaired as I love it and a replacement would cost about what I've saved in fuel so far. I've also noticed some light damage on my new trousers, but hoping this won't be a problem and accept that this will inevitably happen to utility clothing..

I've so far done 18 commutes on the bike over seven weeks; putting around 350 miles on the bike in my ownership. At 40 minutes each way that works out at about one whole day in the saddle over the 49-ish days I've had it; meaning I've been on the Brompton for about 3% of my time awake during this period :tongue:

I've been keeping a log of my journeys into work on the bike, mainly to get a good idea of how long to leave for the commute. One unexpected benefit has been that it allows me to compare data from lots of similar rides and yesterday I added some more functionality to average mean journey speed and HR data over the last six rides.

I was very pleased to see that, whilst modest my mean speed is trending upward while my mean heart rate is flat / trending downward slightly. I've also graphed mean HR over speed against time to give a crude measure of fitness - with that value trending down; suggesting less exertion for a give speed and that these regular rides are of cardio-vascular benefit.

In addition my legs feel stronger both on and off the bike; which I think has been largely precipitated by the large 20-25% jumps between gears on the Brompton. I'm increasingly happy to grind my way up hills; something I think is all too easily escaped on many bikes with close, low gears - potentially to the detriment of developing rider strength.

While often utterly shattered by the end of the working day / my short working week it feels good to be getting some regular exercise and hopefully improving my fitness :smile:

I shall look forward to reading this later with a beer, almost as exciting as MCN popping up in my iPad on a Wednesday

Gunk

Guru
Does the chinese BB cover actually have a "hard stop" anywhere on the frame? I assumed it would just remain in place given the significant surface area of its adhesive tape.

it wraps around the weld between the BB and the seat tube, I also think the larger surface area stops it moving around.

A meet at some point with you and @EltonFrog would be grand - perhaps a pint or two one evening in the city?

good idea, Tuesdays is always good for me as I work from home, I also need to wean you off that horrible Lager you insist on drinking.

tinywheels

Über Member
I seem to suffer from this more than anyone else I know.

It was worse on my commute which went around Regent's Park as the fine dust/sand from the horse track used to get mixed up in there too.

Here's a tip for a full clean of your drivetrain that you might otherwise overlook.

The Jockey wheels in the chain tensioner become clogged with this gunk. But it's not immediately evident it's there. It gets jammed between the teeth and the side rails. A small flat screwdriver will go through the holes in the side and help pry it up and out.

It took me a while to notice this was happening so even though I was taking off the chain, sprockets and chainring to completely clean them, I'd missed this bit.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4nh0aEiBeI

I did this last night,it's a real pain.
Why brompton designed it this way I have no idea.
The crap stuck in the holes and between the sprockets has to be winkled out ,and it's not fun.
Surely those clever characters at brompton towers could come up with something better!

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I seem to suffer from this more than anyone else I know.

It was worse on my commute which went around Regent's Park as the fine dust/sand from the horse track used to get mixed up in there too.

Here's a tip for a full clean of your drivetrain that you might otherwise overlook.

The Jockey wheels in the chain tensioner become clogged with this gunk. But it's not immediately evident it's there. It gets jammed between the teeth and the side rails. A small flat screwdriver will go through the holes in the side and help pry it up and out.

It took me a while to notice this was happening so even though I was taking off the chain, sprockets and chainring to completely clean them, I'd missed this bit.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4nh0aEiBeI

Cheers - thankfully not that bad yet as I've not done a whole lot of miles but I'll be keeping an eye on the drivetrain!

I shall look forward to reading this later with a beer, almost as exciting as MCN popping up in my iPad on a Wednesday
lol - MCN must be a state these days if my posts are a close second :tongue:

it wraps around the weld between the BB and the seat tube, I also think the larger surface area stops it moving around.

good idea, Tuesdays is always good for me as I work from home, I also need to wean you off that horrible Lager you insist on drinking.
Cool - I'd expect the surface area to be the big thing as the braing is inconsistant and contact here would likely cause damage..

Tuesday could work; usually post-work pub but I could probably get a night off. The lager makes me feel marginially less shite than ale, so you'll not be getting me onto the gut-rotter!

I did this last night,it's a real pain.
Why brompton designed it this way I have no idea.
The crap stuck in the holes and between the sprockets has to be winkled out ,and it's not fun.
Surely those clever characters at brompton towers could come up with something better!
I assume a more conventional derailleur wouldn't fit within the space constraints, and the current shifter setup relies on the raised edges of the rollers..

As previously mentioned the brass plate I'd stuck to the bottom bracket has convincingly started migrating north for the winter; here we can see it encroaching upon the brazing above:

12x8_IMG_7987a.jpg

I found a piece of brass I'd already rough-cut to size and set about making a larger replacement - as usual what takes 10 seconds to read consumed most of my day to achieve..

12x8_IMG_7995a.jpg

Having grown tired of bodging right-angles with the caliper I managed to retrieve my old man's square from the neglected rollcab of shame in the shed and cleaned it up a bit with some paraffin / stoning to the flat faces.. not sure if I'm driving it right:

12x8_IMG_8041a.jpg

Several more painstaking hours of fannying about saw this occurring:

12x8_IMG_8007a.jpg

12x8_IMG_8021a.jpg

The good news is that I didn't make a total b*llocks of it and while from some angles it looks on the pish; that's just an optical illusion from the asymmetric brazing. I managed a pretty-much perfect job of placing the part exactly where I wanted it. Sadly, I later found out that "exactly where I wanted it" might not have been commensurate with "exactly where it should be"... having centred the plate on the support between the BB shell and main tube; while this appears to be offset relative to the seatpost tube - which is (presumably) on the bike's centreline..

Anyway, sod it - as picky as I am it's a bridge too far to peel it off and start again for the sake of a few mm. It took a good deal of heat to get the old one off, while after several weeks in place the adhesive came off much more like a hard plastic sheet than the soft gummy jazz encountered when having to remove the plate directly after application.

I got the plate as close to centred between the two horizontal lines of brazing, while making sure it kept some decent separation between the tyre and BB..

12x8_IMG_8024a.jpg

Reference shot incase this one starts to go the same way as the last..

12x8_IMG_8035a.jpg

In other news I poked at the mudflap situation a bit more.. it seem plausible the front flap's letting stuff past beneath its lower edge, since the bits of tree stuck to its inside surface continue unabated to the bottom of the flap (and presumably beyond).

12x8_IMG_8039a.jpg

The SKS item I'd bought as a possible replacement doesn't go any lower, so I suspect might not be an improvement. Currently looking at budget reversible ways of extening the existing one to see if that makes any difference..

The very resileant front mudguard stays were bent a bit to give some more clearance with the front tyre and I also gave the bike a crap wash and lightly scratched some of the finish on the BB. In future I'll leave cleaning until I can be arsed to do a proper job - preferably in a bike stand with the wheels off and some decent, small brushes..

The bike continues to be more "difficult" than others have been. A six-minute thrash round Daily-Mail-Ville reminded me what it can offer; its responsive little wheels carving large flowing rads round the squares, greens and alleyways of the deserted friday-evening village.. I think it'd probably make an ideal location for an organised Brompton street race...

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
The SKS item I'd bought as a possible replacement doesn't go any lower, so I suspect might not be an improvement. Currently looking at budget reversible ways of extening the existing one to see if that makes any difference..

There are lots of cheap mudflaps on eBay that could easily be adapted to your purpose.

Good work on the BB protector, the larger surface area should stop it creeping. I also prefer the look of this one.

I’ll set up a PM chat for our Brommie get together. That will be a nice thing to do.

enjoy your weekend!

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

There are lots of cheap mudflaps on eBay that could easily be adapted to your purpose.

Good work on the BB protector, the larger surface area should stop it creeping. I also prefer the look of this one.

I’ll set up a PM chat for our Brommie get together. That will be a nice thing to do.

enjoy your weekend!

Cheers :smile:

Didn't think to look for generic mudflaps as the SKS ones are a known quantity and work well on other bikes I have; although I think they're going to be too short now / potentially not ideal for folding-related reasons.

Tbh to test the efficacy of a deeper front flap I'd be tempted to lash one up from a 2l pop bottle.. if I had such things lying around. Not sure about the back as it needs to get around the whole rolly-foldy wheel situation..

I think I prefer the look of the new plate on the BB too; time will tell if this one gets to stay.

I'll await the inbound PM; hope you had a good one ;)

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

In other high-octane news the Spurcycle bell and Brompton toolkit became available on their website again, but in the time it took me to consider whether I wanted to spend so much on so little the bells ran out again.

I don't doubt their niceness, however am still having a hard time convincing myself of the outlay when I could knock up an equivalent toolkit to go in the bag for next to nowt, and knockoff bells on Ali Express can be had for as little as a couple of quid..

I need to get it sorted one way or another as the swapping of bits from one bag to the other is going to catch me out sooner or later - for example thought I'd got everything before going out on the Fuji last night; however realised this morning that I'd left the tools in the Brompton bag and would have been screwed in the event of a puncture..

Last edited:

a.twiddler

Veteran
In other high-octane news the Spurcycle bell and Brompton toolkits became available on their website again, but in the time it took me to consider whether I wanted to spend so much on so little the bells ran out again.

I don't doubt their niceness, however am still having a hard time convincing myself of the outlay when I could knock up an equivalent toolkit to go in the bag for next to nowt, and knockoff bells on Ali Express can be had for as little as a couple of quid..

I need to get it sorted one way or another as the swapping of bits from one bag to the other is going to catch me out sooner or later - for example thought I'd got everything before going out on the Fuji last night; however realised this morning that I'd left the tools in the Brompton bag and would have been screwed in the event of a puncture..

Yebbut you just know that you wouldn't rest easy until you had the real deal, judging by your perfectionism in other aspects of Brompton ownership. Not everyone is like me, thinking that if it works well enough, it's good enough. I might be the exception amongst Brompton owners, too, risking being banished into outer darkness for even thinking such unworthy thoughts! But, there you go.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

SJS has the bell in stock....expensive but well worth it if you are cycling on (pedestrian) shared cycle paths

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bells-horns/spurcycle-bell-black-dlc/
Thanks - I can get it for a little less from Brompton with the discount code I'm determined to use; problem is that I'm supposed to be saving money and £50+ on a bell is frankly ridiculous.. especially given how dirt cheap similar (yet admittedly inferior) alternatives are from China.

I could definitely do with something better than the standard bell however..

Yebbut you just know that you wouldn't rest easy until you had the real deal, judging by your perfectionism in other aspects of Brompton ownership. Not everyone is like me, thinking that if it works well enough, it's good enough. I might be the exception amongst Brompton owners, too, risking being banished into outer darkness for even thinking such unworthy thoughts! But, there you go.
Indeed... I'm definitely that sort of person. I do have to temper that with some degree of financial responsibility, however..

berlinonaut

Veteran
Spurcycle bell (...) I don't doubt their niceness, however am still having a hard time convincing myself of the outlay when (...) knockoff bells on Ali Express can be had for as little as a couple of quid..
Possibly this article could make up your mind if you are an honest person (as I assume):
https://web.archive.org/web/2020110...of-two-bells-spurcycle-vs-the-counterfeiters/

It is an archived version of this 2016 article on archive.org as the original webpage cyclingtips.com has been converted to something called "velo" on June 1st this year, including loss of most of the existing content. It may come back later, but for the time being this article is still missing (which is a shame), thus the way via archive.org.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I have the Cateye PB-1000 " Wind Brass bell on my black Brompton. It is the one with the black body and Gold dome and adds just a splash of colour. It is small and the trigger sits in an easy to reach position.Most importantly of all, it has a lovely double ring with an excellent sustain. Mrs Tenkaykev was so impressed she ( or rather I, ) purchased the black / silver version for her Brommie. It cost me £6 or thereabouts.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Possibly this article could make up your mind if you are an honest person (as I assume):
https://web.archive.org/web/2020110...of-two-bells-spurcycle-vs-the-counterfeiters/

It is an archived version of this 2016 article on archive.org as the original webpage cyclingtips.com has been converted to something called "velo" on June 1st this year, including loss of most of the existing content. It may come back later, but for the time being this article is still missing (which is a shame), thus the way via archive.org.

That is pretty blatant. Although I'm not in the market for such an exclusive bell, and do my best to avoid Chinese stuff, it's pretty difficult to do that. I would certainly look at Rockbros in a different light in the future. The sound and durability of the Spurcycle bell is presumably because its form is its function, if you accept the manufacturer's rationale, somewhat like the Brompton.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Thanks - have read that and can completely appreciate the point made. I could accept a difference in price of a factor of two or maybe four; but when the knockoff can be had for around 1/20 the price of the genuine item, it does make the cost of the latter somewhat hard to stomach!

I have the Cateye PB-1000 " Wind Brass bell on my black Brompton. It is the one with the black body and Gold dome and adds just a splash of colour. It is small and the trigger sits in an easy to reach position.Most importantly of all, it has a lovely double ring with an excellent sustain. Mrs Tenkaykev was so impressed she ( or rather I, ) purchased the black / silver version for her Brommie. It cost me £6 or thereabouts.
Thanks - I'll keep it in mind but I'm quite sold on the Spurcycle; if I can take the price..

That is pretty blatant. Although I'm not in the market for such an exclusive bell, and do my best to avoid Chinese stuff, it's pretty difficult to do that. I would certainly look at Rockbros in a different light in the future. The sound and durability of the Spurcycle bell is presumably because its form is its function, if you accept the manufacturer's rationale, somewhat like the Brompton.
Yeah, the Chinese are known for having zero respect for people's intellectual property. That said, while clearly a copy is there anything patent-able in the original design?

On paper I'd obviously rather have the proper one; it's just the price that's making me wince.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Thanks - have read that and can completely appreciate the point made. I could accept a difference in price of a factor of two or maybe four; but when the knockoff can be had for around 1/20 the price of the genuine item, it does make the cost of the latter somewhat hard to stomach!
But then: It is pretty obvious that the knockoffs may look close to similar but can not be the same thing and can not offer the same quality.

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.

I can absolutely understand if one is not willing to (or simply cannot) spend this amount of money on a bell. I do own a couple of Spurcycles for years already and did never regret buying them - they are a joy to look at, a joy to use and they work brilliantly. If I had knowingly bought a fake copy I would feel cheap. Rather than a copy I would buy a completely different bell.
Why would one buy a fake copy: Obviously because one likes the original. How could a fake then be satisfactory? Every single day it would remind you being cheap and supporting copy cats and intellectual theft.

Top Bottom