2021 Brompton C-Line Explore

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
the rack has a quick release

Ta - sounds good if you have a lot of stuff to lug, however the front bag's doing a good job (on capacity at least, if not accessibility) and it's about as manageable as it's going to get when carrying the folded bike. I suspect all that with a removable rack and panniers would be a bit of a swine!

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Any more updates @wafter how is it all going?

Ta for asking :smile:

The bike itself has reached that steady-state point in any ongoing project where there's still stuff to be done, but it's workable so progress has slowed. It was nice last weekend to not have anything immediately pressing to do on the bike; driven by the anxiety that failing to get something done would result in potential damage during the next week's use.

The brass bits are still holding up very nicely; the two towards the back are pretty much confirmed as bob-on while the big one on the BB shell is looking promising with no visible movement so far.

I'm fraught with indecision on the chain; with three possible sources including a slightly dubiously cheap one on ebay (that the seller assures me isn't a knock-off), a pricier one on Chain reaction (with the incentive that they're doing a BB I'd not mind as a spare for not a lot of money; which would get free postage if ordered with the chain) and one for slightly less from a supplier I'd prefer to use.

Getting drenched on the way to work yesterday has finally pushed me to ordering some Craghoppers overtrousers, which should be here later in the week. I still haven't pulled my finger out and bought some proper frame protection tape, but with the high-wear areas plated the electrical and gaffer tape elsewhere are doing a reasonable job in the interim.

I'm still liking the bag, although would still like to improve accessibilty of some bits. I'm deliberating over buying a used rear light to get the saddle mount bracket (since everywhere is out of stock of new items); which would be a nicer solution than lashing it to the seatpost.

The situation with the mudguards remains static - ideally I think I want some longer ones, however they don't appear to be a thing off the shelf and it's outside my abilities to make any to any decent standard.

The bike's now done a bit more than 400 miles in my ownership, and now feels pretty comfortable and familiar. This week I'm doing the full five days at work, which off the back of a pretty cycling-heavy weekend (by my standards at least) should prove "interesting".

I viewed yesterday's commute as a recovery ride so took it very steady, and got absolutely soaked on the way in. Top half was alright - bit wet at the front but I think that's because some rain got through the zip of the Brompton jacket as I didn't do up the studs. Lower-half was utterly soaked to the point where I was wringing large amounts of water out of my socks upon arrival at the office.. thankfully I'd taken a spare pair so rotated these in while the others dried, then swapped back once the spares had absorbed the water in my shoes and the original pair were dry.

Today I left late so hit it harder; it was a beautiful morning and I set a PB in terms of journey time and average speed - just getting to work on time. I ran a little errand to Horspath at lunchtime which I felt in my legs and left me wiped out immediately afterwards - I think being the straw that broke this particular camel's back.

The scenic wonder of the eastern bypass outside the mini factory, plus some gritty urban fare from the underpass:

IMG_20230815_124023.jpg

IMG_20230815_124222.jpg

Went for a couple of pints earler and had a pleasant, relatively swift ride back through town then onto the tow path on the other side of Jericho.

:smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

A less cheery update this morning..

First I think I've had a revelation that I need to check myself before I wreck myself. Circumstances have conspired to slowly increase my speed during the commute - improved confidence on the bike, a bit of improved fitness, time constraints through leaving later than is ideal..

This has quietly turned what started out as a gentle waft into a bit of a thrash at times; and while I consider my conduct safe (I always pass pedestrians with as much space as possible / use the bell well in advance to make them aware of my presence) I'm aware that some might not appreciate the speed at which I pass. We're not talking outrageous speeds here; probably in the region of 12-16mph typically.

I'm not going to hit the brakes and crawl past, but I am going to make an effort to ease off on my approach as I don't want to behave in a way that could be considered antisocial towards those I share the tow path with. I think there's also a bit of a shift in mindset required as I'm used to riding defensively on roads where there's a clear heirachy of who should be where.

In other less than splendid news I've noticed a few odd dark spots appearing on my nice new Brompton jacket.. I was initially perplexed as to their origin, but now I've finally twigged from the occasional, black rubby-patches on my daily apples that these marks are probably the result of abrasion between the two during the ride. Bloody irritating as I suspect the apple-wax-grot isn't going to come off the coat without detergent / a solvent of some sort, which no doubt will also destroy the DWR coating on the fabric. Bugger :sad:

12boy

Guru
I've been riding 20 miles daily pretty much 6 days a week although this week there a couple shorter ones. I fitted a 130 BCD crank with 38 and 54 tooth chainrings on the P line and have been taking on some 8%+grades to see what is what. And its been in the 90s low humidity and some headwinds which tuckered me out. Even so I am falling back in my old bad habits of getting a little high off endorphins and not paying attention. Not a good idea.
That 38 tooth chainring actually only gets used for 1/4-1/2 mile stretches but it is nice to have, especially in the heat.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I've been riding 20 miles daily pretty much 6 days a week although this week there a couple shorter ones. I fitted a 130 BCD crank with 38 and 54 tooth chainrings on the P line and have been taking on some 8%+grades to see what is what. And its been in the 90s low humidity and some headwinds which tuckered me out. Even so I am falling back in my old bad habits of getting a little high off endorphins and not paying attention. Not a good idea.
That 38 tooth chainring actually only gets used for 1/4-1/2 mile stretches but it is nice to have, especially in the heat.

Good work, and I know what you mean about getting carried away! I find the standard 6sp setup with 50T ring, BWR hub and 13/16T sprockets gives a really nice range (similar to the 36T / 11-34T setup on my Fuji), however I've not had to do much climbing. There's one hill on my route which tops out at about 10% probably; but is only a few hundred yards and I rarely feel the need to bother the low-end of the hub for this :smile:

Today marks the fifth consecutive commute on the Brompton - in contrast to the usual three-day week - which has mostly flown by in a haze of caffeine, alcohol, sausages and exhaustion.

The journey in today was dominated by the biblical rain; which had really set in with a vengeance by the time I was parking up in Yarnton. When I left home it was fairly fine so I'd left the waterproof stuff packed in the bag; and subsequently had to get it all on whilst stood at the back of the car. Which was less than fun.

"Fortunately" my Craghoppers waterproof trousers arrived yesterday and I was cautiously looking forward to testing them out. The zipped legs made them possible to get on without removing shoes, however trying to do so standing on one leg with wet / potentially muddy footwear wasn't ideal.

I found the velcro straps at the ankles unable to draw the hems up really tight; however wet socks later illustrated that this probably wasn't an ideal goal anyway.. the best method apparently being to allow some room at the bottom to go over shoes and secure further up with some clips / straps of some description. As predicted I didn't appreciate the actual (as opposed to false) pockets, and had to get stuff out of my trousers by reaching down inside the waistband.

After finally getting underway it felt almost good to be making steady progress whilst seemingly mostly protected from the driving rain. I had plenty of time so took it steady, and decided to stop at the butchers for breakfast. The covered market was largely deserted barring those setting up shop for the day and the odd early-bird customer. If I ever move back to the city I'd like to think I'd manage the odd proper sit-down breakfast in one of the quiet cafes in the covered market during the morning quiet..

Non-trivial quantity of meat products sourced, I did the usual and propped the bike up against the postbox to bag stuff up, and on this occasion sort out my bedraggled, partially-saturated carcass as much as possible. I've often noticed the staff in the flower shop opposite - who appear to be exclusively female and always going about their work with great enjoyment - looks like a really nice working environment and on the face of it at least, a wonderful, carefree existance :smile:

IMG_20230818_083759.jpg

IMG_20230818_083826.jpg

Meat packed - mostly in the bag, some down my face - I was on my way again out into the rain.. bouyed by breakfast and the pleasantries / respite of the covered market; rolling down St. Aldates to join the tow path again at the head of the river and on to work.

Arrival gave - between the inevitable invasion of support calls - the opportunity to take stock of the first "properly waterproof" ride in.. the reality unfortunately dragging its sorry arse well behind expectation. Despite this time making sure to fasten my jacket up properly my base layer still manifested a large, central wet patch from sternum to waistline; I think because folds during use had channelled water in through the jacket's zip. I also noticed that the high-ish cut at the back left a little room for water ingress at the top of my trousers, although this didn't seem to be a problem.

My new overtrousers had failed to prevent my socks getting fairly wet (to be fair probably through driver error) however more concerningly my actual trousers were tangibly damp. Granted not utterly soaked through as would otherwise have been the case; but still not ideal :sad:

Perhaps I'm expecting too much? I think this deserves its own thread..

The morning ground on in typical fashion, eventually revealing a nice surprise in the form of a delivery to a customer in the city.. by which time the weather had cleared up nicely; affording a necessary reminder of how pleasant the outside can be.

The weather thankfully remained clement until home time and what started out as a straightforward trundle back to the car turned into a meandering waft in the heady, humid, storm-scented winds engulfing the city as I was in no hurry to get home to a weekend of isolation; once more trapped in the suffocating slow-death of my own head.

The little-B carried me out along the cycle path behind Kennington, with the occasional stop to graze on the blackberries hanging heavy in the hedges.

IMG_20230818_173416.jpg

IMG_20230818_174108.jpg

I nearly made it out the other side of town without stopping for a drink, but ended up doing a tour of outdoor-positive pubs for a refreshment stop. I like the terrace at the Vicky Arms in Jericho, however tonight it was full. I did stop for a shot of this nice looking, not-oft-seen Bridgestone road bike outside :smile:

IMG_20230818_180810.jpg

While loitering for the shot above a bloke passed on a raw lacquer example. I seem to see an ever-changing representation of the Brompton mafia on my commute, although I'm yet to experience much brand camaraderie :sad:

Finally I settled on the Dew Drop in Summertown for the opportunity to watch the world go by whilst enjoying a substantial G&T and some halloumi fries.. thier obscene cost feeling slightly less offensive given the unfamilair rigours of the working week endured.

IMG_20230818_184135.jpg

IMG_20230818_184415.jpg

My route had taken me through the relatively new Uni development on the site of the original John Radcliffe; as usual their architectural taste being absolutely on-point and affording a great opportunity for a picture or two..

IMG_20230818_181348.jpg

Post-pub it was back to the car along to tow path, finally snaffling a shot of the barge that's now, for reasons unknown lying partially submerged at Wolvercote :sad:

IMG_20230818_191114.jpg

Ultimately a day of many highs and lows; most of each only made possible by the versatility of the Brompton. This week has seen a high of 94 miles covered on the problem child; contributing to the most miles I've covered during the month of August of any year I've been riding.

I'm still not there yet and feel there's still progress to be made in many areas, however I'm grateful for what the bike has given me and am sure I'd be in a much worse place now were it not for my relatively new-found ability to both avoid the open vehicular warfare of the commute and re-connect with the city in some meaningful, if still somewhat lacking way :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Great post @wafter your photos make me feel very privileged to live in such a beautiful city.

Thanks and yes, it's a fantastic place and as you say a privilege to live there; given what a sh*thole many other parts of the country / world are.

Shame this is reflected in the eye-watering house prices, but I guess this is inevitable :sad:

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Fortunately we bought ours 20 years ago, we couldn’t afford to buy it now

Indeed.. I wish as a naive, risk-and-debt-averse youth I'd taken heed of all those warning of a property boom at the time and bought something on my meagre wage. Against a background of global / national credit-fuelled house price inflation Oxford has been particularly ridiculous unfortunately :sad:

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

In other Brompton news the water continues to take its toll - I've noticed light corrosion at the hinge, just inside the ends of the frame where it splits (which appears to be lifting the finish :sad: ) and after two soakings the chain has begun complaining again after about 180 miles (usually I re-wax after 300ish on purely mechanical grounds).

I've bled some oil into the affected areas of the frame and will wipe off the excess at the hinge once it's had time to penetrate, as I don't want it acting as a grit magnet. The interior of the frame remains a potential problem; I've got some decent Bilt-Hamber rust proofing stuff somewhere down the shed that never got stuffed up a car as intended, although I still need a way of applying it..

I guess the chain will want another waxing this weekend, and I'm yet to pull my finger out and source a more corrosion-resistant alternative..

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
I use naval jelly which reacts with rust to make a protective coating. I used a lot of this when making my mini sheepherder wagon. I also waxed 3 chains in my bike chain crockpot a couple of days ago, and pushing the chain tensioner out as far as possible (this is a chain pusher tensioner) dribbled a drop of molten wax on the exposed part on both of my Bromptons. Sure made it quieter fo some reason. Wafter your pics are stunning. For myself, as I traveled here and there in N America I have often thought how beautiful mostt places would be if no one lived there. Of course the beauty of the high desert Southwest is very different from your green and verdant land. Have a pic of my mini sheep wagon under my crab apple tree

Attachments

• IMG_20200902_191734.jpg
    IMG_20200902_191734.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 12

Gunk

Guru
In other Brompton news the water continues to take its toll - I've noticed light corrosion at the hinge, just inside the ends of the frame where it splits (which appears to be lifting the finish :sad: ) and after two soakings the chain has begun complaining again after about 180 miles (usually I re-wax after 300ish on purely mechanical grounds).

I've bled some oil into the affected areas of the frame and will wipe off the excess at the hinge once it's had time to penetrate, as I don't want it acting as a grit magnet. The interior of the frame remains a potential problem; I've got some decent Bilt-Hamber rust proofing stuff somewhere down the shed that never got stuffed up a car as intended, although I still need a way of applying it..

I guess the chain will want another waxing this weekend, and I'm yet to pull my finger out and source a more corrosion-resistant alternative..

I‘ve never heard a report of the main frame rusting out, the rear triangles can rust but only with severe neglect, if you are worried about the main tubes then I would just suggest a liberal spray of Waxoil, or even better ACF-50 Inside the tubes.

The hinge pins do need a a spot of oil periodically, mine were really stiff when I bought the bike, it had been stored folded for a long time, however, lots of oil and manipulating backwards and forwards over a period of a couple weeks and they are now back to normal.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I use naval jelly which reacts with rust to make a protective coating. I used a lot of this when making my mini sheepherder wagon. I also waxed 3 chains in my bike chain crockpot a couple of days ago, and pushing the chain tensioner out as far as possible (this is a chain pusher tensioner) dribbled a drop of molten wax on the exposed part on both of my Bromptons. Sure made it quieter fo some reason. Wafter your pics are stunning. For myself, as I traveled here and there in N America I have often thought how beautiful mostt places would be if no one lived there. Of course the beauty of the high desert Southwest is very different from your green and verdant land. Have a pic of my mini sheep wagon under my crab apple tree
Thanks - it appears that the active ingredient in naval jelly is phosphoric acid, something have used in various places on my Fuji. As always prevention is better than cure though!

Good work with the chain wax; I did mine again at the weekend after around 180 miles due to the usual rust issues. Where exactly did you apply the wax to the tensioner? I'm always keen to learn of more places I can stick some :tongue:

Thanks re. the photos and yes; I think people generally spoil the world and life is often nicer in their absence. Sheep wagon looks grand - what do you use it for?

I‘ve never heard a report of the main frame rusting out, the rear triangles can rust but only with severe neglect, if you are worried about the main tubes then I would just suggest a liberal spray of Waxoil, or even better ACF-50 Inside the tubes.

The hinge pins do need a a spot of oil periodically, mine were really stiff when I bought the bike, it had been stored folded for a long time, however, lots of oil and manipulating backwards and forwards over a period of a couple weeks and they are now back to normal.
No; however of course corrosion doesn't have to be a structural issue to be unwelcome. Ideally I'd like to treat all of the internal bits; with the main tubes being the most important since they're basically the largest / most non-replacable part of the bike.

Hopefully your hinges were just because the oil had dried up a bit. Mine really stiffened up after getting caught out in the rain, but it's fine now after some oil and some use.. should only have been light corrosion so I'm not overly worried. I'll make it a point of including oiling these points during routine maintenance; and think keeping the water out is as important as providing lubrication.

Again, not a lot has happened with the Brompton recently. While last week was bookended by a couple of horribly wet rides in, this week has been merciful so far; with my freshy waxed chain running buttery smooth without the incumbences of corrsion.

I've finally pulled my finger out and ordered a KMC EPT chain; suspiciously cheap from ebay so will give that a good coat of looking over / interrogation with the chain checker to try to verify that it's genuine before waxing and fitting. I'm still waiting for another ebay seller to get back from holiday so that I can get hold of some spare quicklinks for this chain and the one on the Fuji, but providing nowt breaks there's no rush.

The bike must now have ticked over about 500 miles since I got it. A couple more quality niggles I've failed to mention before; the soft rubber grips seems to be wearing pretty rapidly; especially around their rear, outer-most surface which I guess sees the most abrasion from my hands. Usually after a ride there's an amount of rubber particulates on my hands.. which isn't a problem in itself but doesn't bode well for the longevity of the grips.

The other issue is that the pedal spindle bearings are rough as the proverbial badger's arse - I was hoping they'd wear in a bit, but remain notchy to the point where you can "index" the pedal to one of many of these notches when rotating it. You can't feel it in use, but it's pretty bloody poor for a product of this cost IMO. Not even sure that I could strip the pedals to polish the affected surfaces..

Finally I've noticed I've arrived at work maybe an inch lower than I started this week, so have nipped up the nut on the seattube clamp.. time will tell if this is enough..

In the absence of rain the commute has been very pleasant this week; especially-so as the temperature and humidity seem to be perfect - as I usually find them at this time of year. Both Monday and Wednesday's rides have been very sedate, relaxed and hardly any effort at all. Tuesday's started this way but getting quicker towards the end and resulted in a PB up the only significant hill :smile:

I'll spare this thread specifics but this week has seen more covered-market visits and the single-parent swan family on the canal appears to be doing well; the cygnets still grey but approaching full-size. I tend to spot them once or twice a week further out of town but seem no worse for it. Sometimes they're floating round in the canal or occasionally spread out across the tow path; eliciting a hiss from mum / dad if I dare to pass between them and their offspring. There's also another more conventional family closer to town (which may have displaced the others) with as a similar amount of cygnets.... good news as apparently they've taken a hammering this year from bird flu.

I've startled quite a lot of wildlife recently; most notably being a heron I came within feet of as it stood on the edge of the canal on Monday; my wide berth being enough to elicit a bit of flapping / awkward running rather than the full-blown airbourne egress I was expeting. I think I saw the same one earlier perched on some of the fencing just outside Jericho..

Out near Yarnton someone's had a go at the hedge where it's increasingly encroaching over the tow path; unfortunately having left the (sometimes thorny) cuttings lying about - presenting arguably a more significant hazard than had they been left. On the up-side the blackberries the same pointy undergrowth provide are very tasty and I might make a concerted effort to harvest some on the way home today.

In other news the partially-sunken barge at Wolvercote appears to have been re-floated over the weekend...

IMG_20230823_081847.jpg

This morning's sedate ride afforded time for a quick photo at Iffley lock:

IMG_20230823_084846.jpg

Finally a surprise trip to a client yielded another little outing in the glorious weather :smile:

IMG_20230823_115331.jpg

Very much looking forward to the ride home :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom