2021 Brompton C-Line Explore

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berlinonaut

Veteran
lol at you licking the windows :tongue:
I had loved the raw finish for years but did not need another Brommi (stupid me - how could I believe this?). I was however interested in a ti-Brommi that were barely available at that time and one day had the opportunity to buy a ti raw-laquer Brommi. Which got a SON-Edelux-combination immediately and some small mods over time. Still like it.

IMG_8051.jpeg

The interesting thing with the original raw is that all bikes are somewhat different. The early ones are more or less steel grey, later ones like mine are a little brownish, the latest ones have once more been steel grey. With most of them the color of and the color pattern on the tubes changes slightly over time, so it is a kind of "living color". With mine i.e. the tubing on the seat post as well as the small helper tube on top of the bottom bracket got brighter over time.

Gunk

Guru
Depends on their actions; does it not?

No, I’d think to that I’m better than that.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I had loved the raw finish for years but did not need another Brommi (stupid me - how could I believe this?). I was however interested in a ti-Brommi that were barely available at that time and one day had the opportunity to buy a ti raw-laquer Brommi. Which got a SON-Edelux-combination immediately and some small mods over time. Still like it.

View attachment 704649

The interesting thing with the original raw is that all bikes are somewhat different. The early ones are more or less steel grey, later ones like mine are a little brownish, the latest ones have once more been steel grey. With most of them the color of and the color pattern on the tubes changes slightly over time, so it is a kind of "living color". With mine i.e. the tubing on the seat post as well as the small helper tube on top of the bottom bracket got brighter over time.

Looks great :becool:

Is that the smaller of the Carradice bags? I was very tempted by one but smaller wasn't large enough while I didn't like the colour schemes of the larger one. Yours really suits the colouration of the bike IMO.

That's bizarre about the finish; must be something going on under the lacquer. Maybe it's the Ti oxidising as the steel's been reported to; just less obvious / nasty.

Evidently from the contrast between the fork / rear triangle and main frame there's evidently some tint to the lacquer. Mine has a bit of a greenish hue in some lights..

I trust you're in the US? Presumably you could carry too, if it made you feel more comfortable. Tbh we're already at a massive disadvantage compared to drivers so I'd willingly take this route if the law allowed

No, I‘m in the UK and a mercifully quiet part of it. And I’m no advocate of guns, far from it. But a) it’s wise to assume the worst and b) just because they’re not legal doesn’t mean they don’t exist

berlinonaut

Veteran
Looks great :becool:

Is that the smaller of the Carradice bags? I was very tempted by one but smaller wasn't large enough while I didn't like the colour schemes of the larger one.
Jup, that's the smaller one ("Stockport City Folder"). I do own the larger one, too:
IMG_8615.jpeg

This time along with a Frost&Seekers saddle bag. Both Carradice bags are surprisingly roomy and have lots of capacity for overfill. I do use the smaller on day to day office trips and the larger one for either travelling or when there's the need for more room on my day trips.
That's bizarre about the finish; must be something going on under the lacquer. Maybe it's the Ti oxidising as the steel's been reported to; just less obvious / nasty.
No, the ti ist just fork and rear frame, ti has nothing to do with it. The steel of the frame is kind of coated against rust and then there is clear laquer put on it. Through the sunlight the coating and the surface of the steel are changing slightly and continously. Brompton did mention this even in an FAQ in an older version of their webpage.
Evidently from the contrast between the fork / rear triangle and main frame there's evidently some tint to the lacquer. Mine has a bit of a greenish hue in some lights..
That's I think the phospate coating of the tubes.

12boy

Guru
Yes we have a lot of guns and many of them are really only good for killing people..
..in Colorado for example .223 AR15s cannot be used for deer hunting. It isnt the rifle itself but rather the caliber.
I was hiking on the mountain 15 minutes from my place and I actually thought it would be nice to have a 40mm handgun as it is fall now and mountain lions and bears can be an issue. The bears like to bulk up in the fall. I've been hiking a little on days with 35+ winds. The most common bumper sticker is one that says" Welcome to Wyoming....please cosider everyone to be armed..." Not true for me unless you consider a bow and arrows to be armed. Meth is popular here here and for myself I consider a tweaker in a 3/4 ton pickup second only to soccer moms talking on their cell with an SUV full of screaming kids in terms of scariness. Be safe and well.

Attachments

• 20230818_105915.jpg
    20230818_105915.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230821_120046.jpg
    20230821_120046.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230821_113231.jpg
    20230821_113231.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Cheers guys!

Not a lot to report as usual; other than the unexpected fantastic weather!

Yesterday there was mist and sun for a very warm and beautifully atmospheric ride in...

IMG_20230904_081847.jpg

IMG_20230904_081954.jpg

IMG_20230904_082544.jpg

...this morning there was mostly just mist so it was a bit chillier; but tolerable in the lightweight trousers and baselayer. Noticed the fair was in town last night, so moseyed through there this morning for a view I'd not normally see.

IMG_20230905_083308.jpg

As usual the nice weather seemed to have brought out the best in people, and I even got a very sincere thanks from a copper through his open window for giving way as he passed from the opposite direction :smile:

Gunk

Guru
Did you get an octopus? 🤓

No a goldfish in a plastic bag

Gunk

Guru
Cheers guys!

Not a lot to report as usual; other than the unexpected fantastic weather!

Yesterday there was mist and sun for a very warm and beautifully atmospheric ride in...

View attachment 705398

View attachment 705399

View attachment 705401

...this morning there was mostly just mist so it was a bit chillier; but tolerable in the lightweight trousers and baselayer. Noticed the fair was in town last night, so moseyed through there this morning for a view I'd not normally see.

View attachment 705402

As usual the nice weather seemed to have brought out the best in people, and I even got a very sincere thanks from a copper through his open window for giving way as he passed from the opposite direction :smile:

It was a lovely day, I cycled in earlier via willow walk to collect something from town, didn't take any photos sadly, I was in the zone!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I reckon you could make that bridge jump...

not the best surface for getting any speed up ahead of a very steep gradient, that said if he managed to get to the top of the ramp on plop the front wheel over, then pretty sure a somersault would get you onto the grass at the other side... :laugh:

moseyed through there this morning for a view I'd not normally see.
you're squids in...

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Did you get an octopus? 🤓

No a goldfish in a plastic bag
I got neither thanks; for all the legitmate moral reasons that one might expect..

It was a lovely day, I cycled in earlier via willow walk to collect something from town, didn't take any photos sadly, I was in the zone!
It was; glad you got out. Willow walk used to be my main route into town; always a pleasure and so much nicer to ride on now it's been resurfaced :smile:

I reckon you could make that bridge jump...
Thanks for your confidence - I'll try tomorrow. While I'm sure it's a dead cert, please don't feel at all guilty if by some freak act of chance I end up with life-changing injuries :smile:

So, today has been a mixed bag. A bit like a big bag of yummy malteasers with the odd dog-egg lurking amongst them..

The ride in was sublime; no sausages as I was a bit late but that left time for a comfortable and leisurely waft; necessary after the weekend's exertions..

The weather was fantastic, my fellow commuters happy and polite for the most part and I arrived at work feeling pretty good; save for the fact I couldn't help another cyclist with a broken chain as the appropriate tool was in my other rucksack. This is something else I might have to double up on, if for no other reason than I don't want to lose my reputation for "ask wafter, he's probably got one on him"..

A day later of conspicuous and awkward caffeine-intolerant unproductivity in the hotbox, it was time for home and I was once more on the bike. The prospect seemed less than appealing so I headed out towards Littlemore and Kennington to extend the route; again traveling at a nice sedate pace.

As I minced aimlessly on my mood continued to decline; although this was gradually offset by the surroundings and the ability to get a few photos to remind myself of how lucky I am to be in this environment..

I found myself out the back of Marston on the way to uni parks. Signage seems entirely legit and not at all like the construct of some swivel-eyed Daily Mail loon that directs cyclists towards a pit that's been crudely covered with branches and leaves..

IMG_20230911_175237.jpg

Due to the cycle path to Marston being closed for repairs to the bridge riders are redirected through the usually-bike-hostile uni parks; so I took a few shots of the bike legitimately inside for once..

IMG_20230911_180246.jpg

IMG_20230911_180310.jpg

F*ck the Police..

IMG_20230911_180502.jpg

After an etherial mooch through the parks into the low sun, I emerged outside Keble..

IMG_20230911_181623.jpg

IMG_20230911_181658.jpg

On to Broad Street and the golden hour was in full effect; further enhancing the inherent warmth of the stone..

IMG_20230911_182133.jpg

From here it was out through Jericho and onto the tow path. I took quite a few more pictures but they're all shite - partially due to my shortcomings and partially because the phone decided to apply that grotty faux-bokeh "portrait" setting that does a really bad job of falsifying background blur in an effort to mimic the effect of wide-open, large-aperture lenses..

Nearly back at the car and things were looking up. I'd treated my ears to the ever-upbeat work of Underworld and it seemed an appropriate soundtrack to dodging the low-hanging foliage in the fading evening sun, as it playfully threatened to take my eye out.

Approaching the bridge at Yarnton I noticed some shifty-looking hedge trimmings on the path as I pulled hard to the left to give a jogger some room. Remembering that I was nearly out of tonic again, with no reason to come home and a possible trip from Kidlington on the cards next month when the car gets its MOT, I thought I'd press ahead along the tow path to said town as a bit of a recce.

The path is grossly inferior to that from Yarnton; being essentially mud single-track for the whole way with a lot of pointy bits. My thoughts turned to pinch-punctures as the back end started to feel a bit squiffy; a quick glance confirming the worst :sad:

I started pushing the bike back to the car which was maybe half a mile away, however my renewed need to not get home, the nice night and the possibility to turn this problem into an opportunity to learn all about puncture repair saw the back wheel off and the repair gear out..

IMG_20230911_191742.jpg

I stacked it by removing the tensioner when this wasn't necessary, and the whole process was a massive ballache.. the only positive being the convenience of being able to slip the rear wheel out in the folded state; the only aspect of the process that, compared to a conventional bike appeared to be less of a pain.

A nice couple from one of the new houses on the river did check I was OK, which was appreciated - however thankfully after that everyone else left me alone..

After half an hour of taking my time the back wheel was refitted with a patched tube, however once the bike was back together it'd gone flat again. I gave up and walked the bike home; partially because I wanted to apply some grease to the tyre beads and take my time refitting everything. I'd had to use the levers to get the tyre off, but managed to re-fit it without. I also found it a bloody pain to get the bead seated properly around the valve; although I think this can be remedied by fitting the tyre and partially inflated tube together, working from the valve.

Once home I found an additional hole in the tube; almost exactly mirroring the first about the valve axis. Both were very, very small punctures (in the proper sense) - no doubt as a result of thorny hedge cuttings left on the path :sad:

It looked very much like the thorn might still have been in the tyre to cause the second puncture, however no matter how much I looked and felt inside the tyre I couldn't find any issues, so put it all back together and it seems fine now..

Doing the job at home seemed (and probably was) faster but still a massive pain; and made me think again about the potential for a ghetto tubeless setup on the little B.. I think I'd not even have noticed hitting the thorn(s) on this occasion with a tubeless setup as the holes were so tiny, and I fear I'll only encounter more over the winter..

Last edited:
Top Bottom