2021 Brompton C-Line Explore

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Another great write up @wafter, that is a cracking looking bike, probably my favourite colour scheme. Your brass protection plates also match the brazing.

Thanks and yes; certainly one of my favourite colour schemes too. I've since read forboding content about the effects of corrosion under the finish on the "lacquer" models, but on aesthetic grounds alone I love it.. visually at least I think they've knocked it out of the park with these finishes :smile:

The ride home yesterday was again very enjoyable; being extended to include the cycle path behind Kennington and coming to about 10.6 miles total. This was mostly covered at a sedate pace, however I did take great delight in the comedy of overtaking a roadie on St. Giles; topping out (according to Strava) at a little over 26mph.. which was hard work :tongue:

I also got a shot of the wear on the grips. The damage around the circumference is from hand contact, that on end is due to catching the ground during folding / unfolding (and mostly from before I got the bike). Green stuff is courtesy of the manky fence the bike gets propped against at work..

IMG_20230823_172422.jpg

As OCD as I am I'll run these until they physically fall apart then replace them with something different / hopefully more resileant.

As of today I've done about 540 miles on the Brompton; mostly over the 28 commutes it's endured since I bought it. This should have saved me about 8% of my sunk costs in fuel, but as mentioned so many times already it's about far more than that. The utility it affords feels like a comfortable, welcome middle-ground between the isolated, rage-filled misery of the door-door commute in the car and the ideal of living in the city and doing the whole journey on the bike.

I'm a simple man with simple pleasures and tbh being out and about around Oxford during the sublimely comfortable end-of-summer sun is about as good as it gets :smile:

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Thanks and yes; certainly one of my favourite colour schemes too. I've since read forboding content about the effects of corrosion under the finish on the "lacquer" models, but on aesthetic grounds alone I love it.. visually at least I think they've knocked it out of the park with these finishes :smile:

The ride home yesterday was again very enjoyable; being extended to include the cycle path behind Kennington and coming to about 10.6 miles total. This was mostly covered at a sedate pace, however I did take great delight in the comedy of overtaking a roadie on St. Giles; topping out (according to Strava) at a little over 26mph.. which was hard work :tongue:

I also got a shot of the wear on the grips. The damage around the circumference is from hand contact, that on end is due to catching the ground during folding / unfolding (and mostly from before I got the bike). Green stuff is courtesy of the manky fence the bike gets propped against at work..

View attachment 703740

As OCD as I am I'll run these until they physically fall apart then replace them with something different / hopefully more resileant.

As of today I've done about 540 miles on the Brompton; mostly over the 28 commutes it's endured since I bought it. This should have saved me about 8% of my sunk costs in fuel, but as mentioned so many times already it's about far more than that. The utility it affords feels like a comfortable, welcome middle-ground between the isolated, rage-filled misery of the door-door commute in the car and the ideal of living in the city and doing the whole journey on the bike.

I'm a simple man with simple pleasures and tbh being out and about around Oxford during the sublimely comfortable end-of-summer sun is about as good as it gets :smile:

I too think the finish of your bike is the nicest, if I had known about it I certainly would have bought one if available.

Today I did series of rides on my B for the first time in the rain, not sure how I’ve managed to avoid riding in the rain having owned it for over a year. Anyway I was ill prepared and I got wet. I had to stop at a cafe for a bacon sandwich to console myself.

12boy

Guru
Wafter, on bikes that use a chain pusher to shift sprockets, the tensioner wheel slides from one side to another to line up with the sprockets. Both my bikes, the 2010 and the P line have this tensioner and mine have benefitted from a little smear of molten wax on the part the jockey wheel slides back and forth. Seems quieter.

12boy

Guru
Wafter, on bikes that use a chain pusher to shift sprockets, the tensioner wheel slides from one side to another to line up with the sprockets. Both my bikes, the 2010 and the P line have this tensioner and mine have benefitted from a little smear of molten wax on the part the jockey wheel slides back and forth. Seems quieter.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I too think the finish of your bike is the nicest, if I had known about it I certainly would have bought one if available.

Today I did series of rides on my B for the first time in the rain, not sure how I’ve managed to avoid riding in the rain having owned it for over a year. Anyway I was ill prepared and I got wet. I had to stop at a cafe for a bacon sandwich to console myself.
Thanks! Not sure how long they've been doing the black lacquer for; think the original, un-tinted raw finish was introduced around the 2015ish..? Flame lacquer also came later and they've released a green one this year, which I personally don't like a whole lot but each to their own.

Sorry to hear of your ordeal; sounds like you've made a full recovery however! I'd advise that you get a thumb up inside the rear of the seatpost tube from underneath to clear out the seatpost-scrapy-grot that will likely have accumulated due to the wet.

My Brommie has a plain lacquer finish (- it's one of the old super light ti models). I got it in 2015 and have done five tours on it and lots of riding in-between. No signs of corrosion yet!!

View attachment 703758
Very nice! I'd not expect the ti models to suffer the same sub-finish corrosion problems since it behaves differently to steel (oxide is passive and doesn't spread).

Great choice of bag too...on balance I'm still liking mine although the lack of immediate access is frustrating; especially as the seasons change and I potentially need more frequent access to clothing and lights..

Thanks for clarifying. As it happens I lubed these with a light synthetic grease when I stripped them. I think this should be fine as these surfaces seem pretty well protected from the elements.. however if I find any grit ingress when next stripped I'll maybe chuck some wax in :smile:

Not a lot has gone on with the bike over the past week or so. It did get a pseudo-commute into the centre of the city on Saturday for a friend's birthday; allowing me to sidestep both the usual traffic as well as the "pleasure" of trying to drive / park anywhere near the city centre.

In the before-times I'd probably have driven to Botley and walked or got the bus from home... either of which would have taken longer and sucked more than taking the B.

As usual the bike did well and garned quite a lot of attention. A mate's mum reckons Andrew Ritchie of Brompton fame lives close to her in Summertown - which checks out. I resisted the urge to provide a shopping list of flaws I'd like addressing...

The past two days' commutes have been polar-opposites. Yesterday's was haunted by decline - both in myself mentally and physically as well as the marked change in the seasons; a noticeable autumnal chill hanging in the air on the way in and cold / rain / dark on the way back from a subdued pub trip.

I'd have preferred to have stayed in bed rather than get out on the bike and the day was dogged by thoughts of how I'll cope with the harshness of winter if the coolness at the end of August was already giving me cold feet.

Stuff got no better when I got home late last night for various reasons and I begrudgingly awoke this morning after far less sleep than ideal; not at all looking forward to a repeat of yesterday.

I left late, which was compounded by getting stuck behind some knobhead at the rounabout near where I park. Usually the entrance to the rounabout is two lanes (straight across and right; where I wanted to go) but is now down to one. Said bloke was in front of me at the roundabout's entrance and could have shuffled over a bit to give me access to the free inside lane of the roundabout, but after a pathetic token gesture once I'd made him aware of where I needed to go, sat there indignently and only moved once the massive column of traffic had also begun to creep painfully forward.

Once finally parked I was swiftly out on the bike; my wearyness replaced by enraged, defiant energy as I flew down the outside of the crawling traffic; offering a choice hand gesture to the bloke who'd held me up as I passed at speed and taking some smug satisfaction in the knowledge that he'd remain stuck in that miserable convoy long after I'd made my way onto the leafy green escape of the tow path.

While travelling up the hill from Yarton I'd caught up, and held level with someone on the cycle path on an e-bike; once we reached the downhill they rapidly disappeared behind me. Once on the tow path I became aware of someone relatively close behind me (I assumed the e-bike had caught up) and given the lack of passing opportunity put in some effort to avoid holding them up. The speed felt good and I found myself smashing it; hitting 18-19mph on occasion when there was nobody else around and maintaining a decent 14.5-15mph average.

As usual I used the bell liberally and with plenty of distance; making sure people were aware I was there and giving them as much room as possible when passing. This worked well for the most part - other than with some particularly detached jogger who, thanks to his earphones only recognised my presence once I was passing him; and then spectacularly failed to control his dog out infront on its lead - which came close to getting squashed as a result. I try to be accommodating and respectful of those around me but it's bloody irritating when I have to practically stop to accommodate other peoples' total lack of situational awareness...

My significantly-higher-than-usual speed goaded me on to stay on it for the rest of the journey and I got to work with time to spare after an uncharacteristically fast trip; managing a mean of 14.5mph in comparison to the previous high of 13.3mph. Unsurprisingly my mean HR was significantly higher too, at 75% of max compared to the 64% of the last fastest trip and sedate 60% average.

Upon arrival I felt fantastic; however now the post-ride-endorphines and caffeine are dissipating I'm starting to ache and feel the cold again.. However, objectively I remain greatful for the positive outlet for my frustration, practical opportunity for some decent exertion and acknowledgement that I'm not quite dead yet :smile:

Last edited:

Kell

Veteran
I must admit I do enjoy my commute. mostly on road - and I clearly much prefer it at the minute when the schools are off as there is far less traffic.

This morning I found myself drafting behind a minibus at +/- 25 mph. My second best effort on this section was from 2014 - so before I got the Brommie. And that would have been on one of my full-size Dahons.

IMG_4626.png

Last edited:
I used to be demonstrative to aggressive motorists too. Then I had a close shave and now assume all drivers are psychopaths packing heat in the glovebox. Plus riding something distinctive does mean there’s a chance they might catch up with you later. Better to be smug. 🙂

berlinonaut

Veteran
Thanks! Not sure how long they've been doing the black lacquer for; think the original, un-tinted raw finish was introduced around the 2015ish..? Flame lacquer also came later and they've released a green one this year, which I personally don't like a whole lot but each to their own.
Raw Lacquer has been introduced 2005 or 2006.
Black Laquer has been introduced 2018 (first on the black edition, later generally avail.)
Flame Laquer has been introduced 2019
Blue Laquer has been introduced 2020 (on the Electric, later there has been a very limited edition of ~150 conventional bikes)
Esmerald Laquer has been introduced 2023 (limited availability)

I do own a 2015 raw laquer, bought before the other laquer colors appeared, after many years of licking on the shop windows. I love the black laquer, the flame laquer looks totally fab and the the blue laquer looks amazing, too. All as black edition bikes. My raw laquer no looks a bit less impressive in comparison, still I do like it. The green laquer one: Well, not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

Kell

Veteran
Black Laquer has been introduced 2018 (first on the black edition, later generally avail.)
Blue Laquer has been introduced 2020 (on the Electric, later there has been a very limited edition of ~150 conventional bikes)

I do own a 2015 raw laquer, bought before the other laquer colors appeared, after many years of licking on the shop windows. I love the black laquer, the flame laquer looks totally fab and the the blue laquer looks amazing, too. All as black edition bikes. My raw laquer no looks a bit less impressive in comparison, still I do like it. The green laquer one: Well, not my cup of tea.

I really like the green lacquer. And I don't normally do green*.

*Acknowledging, of course, that my bike is Lime Green.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I must admit I do enjoy my commute. mostly on road - and I clearly much prefer it at the minute when the schools are off as there is far less traffic.

This morning I found myself drafting behind a minibus at +/- 25 mph. My second best effort on this section was from 2014 - so before I got the Brommie. And that would have been on one of my full-size Dahons.

View attachment 704488
lol - good work! I drafted a bus the other day, but don't think I managed to go that fast..

I used to be demonstrative to aggressive motorists too. Then I had a close shave and now assume all drivers are psychopaths packing heat in the glovebox. Plus riding something distinctive does mean there’s a chance they might catch up with you later. Better to be smug. 🙂
Probably a wise approach, however when the adrenaline's flowing and some idiot has just nearly taken your life through their own inattentiveness / stupidity / arrogance I find it hard to let it go.. and if I do it eats away at me for the rest of the day.

I trust you're in the US? Presumably you could carry too, if it made you feel more comfortable. Tbh we're already at a massive disadvantage compared to drivers so I'd willingly take this route if the law allowed.

Thanks - Raw's been around for a long time then!

Wasn't aware of the blue lacquer.. I think finishes in their own right they all look good, however the raw / black / flame look best when you get a bit closer and see the colour of the brazing coming through.

lol at you licking the windows :tongue:

I really like the green lacquer. And I don't normally do green*.

*Acknowledging, of course, that my bike is Lime Green.
Conversely I'm not keen, but I do usually do green (two of my bikes being fairly reserved hues)!

Just spotted this @wafter, nice mint spare. Brilliant bikes don’t currently stock them, so looks a good buy, price is about right.

View: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2026956634191985/permalink/3480728368814797/?sale_post_id=3480728368814797

Thanks for the thought - tbh I'm happy to stick with the original currently as I fear they're all going to get marked to some extent, regardless of how hard I try to prevent it... there are a few ideas I'd like try out but as usual struggling to get anything done currently.

After yesterday's thrash into the city the ride out was considerably more subdued.. I tend to ride back through the city as it feels more connected and gives a bit of an alternative to the tow path.

Stopped on Cowley Rd for a bit of a photo op (traffic was terrible as usual):

IMG_20230830_174423.jpg

The posh geese still seem to be doing well on the canal; all five young remain, as does parent's hissyness if you get too close. They're evidently a bit younger than the complete family closer to town as still quite fluffy / not quite full-size / stubby-of-wing..

IMG_20230830_180134.jpg

That is all :smile:

Gunk

Guru
I trust you're in the US? Presumably you could carry too, if it made you feel more comfortable. Tbh we're already at a massive disadvantage compared to drivers so I'd willingly take this route if the law allowed.

really? Thank goodness over here hand guns are banned, do we really want to go down that route? I drive about 20k business miles a year and see some pretty selfish and aggressive driving almost daily, I don‘t think however I’ve ever contemplated blowing their brains out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

really? Thank goodness over here hand guns are banned, do we really want to go down that route? I drive about 20k business miles a year and see some pretty selfish and aggressive driving almost daily, I don‘t think however I’ve ever contemplated blowing their brains out.
Depends on their actions; does it not?

Not that I'm much of a fan of the US model but the idea at least is that guns are carried for self defence; obviously not to take pot shots at other people who might look at you funny.. Of course over there since there are nearly two, very-easy-to-obtain guns per capita, in many places you're at a massive disadvantage if you're the one without.

There have been cases over here where drivers have intentionally attacked cyclists - often using their cars as weapons.. then there's that horrible case in Scotland where that poor bloke was essentially left to die then chucked in a shallow grave :sad:

Anyway, back on topic please :smile:

Top Bottom