2021 UK Cencus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin_P

Guru
I would urge any fellow atheists to tick the no religion box.
Filling in any joke religion will be seen as religious and used by the Chief God Bothers to justify spending on 'faith'.

That is a very good point.

However, many of us fellow atheists would argue that all religion is a silly and even cruel joke. I would very much like Jedi to become an officially recognised religion with equal standing to all other religions. Just because Geroge Lucas started it only in 1977 and that most followers only practice it once a decade for ten minutes whilst filling in a census form shouldn't mean it is any less valid than other religions.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
That is a very good point.

However, many of us fellow atheists would argue that all religion is a silly and even cruel joke. I would very much like Jedi to become an officially recognised religion with equal standing to all other religions. Just because Geroge Lucas started it only in 1977 and that most followers only practice it once a decade for ten minutes whilst filling in a census form shouldn't mean it is any less valid than other religions.

Yes, the only difference is time. The 'Abrahamic' faiths are pretty much the same one as far as I'm concerned (share the same deity, creation & flood mythology) and are often argued as 'valid' because of their age. They were all made-up in the last 2000-3000 years and Jedi is only 44 years old. Give it 20 centuries:okay:. Having said that I'm going to do it online and put 'Timelord' for religion, 'European' for identity.
Wondering if there'll also be a space for 'Boris is a total nobber':whistle:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My form arrived today. Given my eldest is away at university I'll chat with him first about which one he goes on, as I'm guessing he'll prefer it being there.

steverob

Guru
In 2001 I followed the Jedi religion, in 2011 I'd converted to the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, but I've since converted back to being a Jedi.

And if asked what I identify as, which might be a question this time, I think i'll go for "detached double garage".
I would urge any fellow atheists to tick the no religion box.
Filling in any joke religion will be seen as religious and used by the Chief God Bothers to justify spending on 'faith'.
All the cr@p ahem outliers probably gets put under other... (market researcher here :laugh:)
Yup, can confirm whether you put down Jedi, Pastafarian or Something-Else-Made-Up, it all just goes down as "Other" at the end of the day. And that counts as you being religious in the Government's books and encourages them to continue to give more funding to the existing majority faith groups in this country. If you are non-religious, then it actually is better for you to specifically tick No Religion rather than make something up, as that will actually carry more weight overall.

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I just had a neighbour's census letter arrive today. I wonder where mine went.

Top Bottom