2022 TdY cancelled

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't know the ins and outs and details of this but I can see that if I was a council tax payer in a Yorkshire LA and I could see that, or I suspected that, my council tax was somehow subsidising ASO, and my bins weren't getting emptied I'd be a bit p'd off.
Are Yorkshire bins not being emptied? Similar dispute to SE London or different?

Milzy

Guru
There was talk on social media about if we all could raise £100 donations we could get the TDY up & running.
Sorry but no. That’s a stupid unrealistic & unfair idea. Yorkshire is just a ‘has been’ county. We will never see it again in our lifetime. Maybe one day the tour of Britain can pass through.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Me too!

And then standing near the finish afterwards, where I shot this...

An annoying plastic trumpet blower, but a great atmosphere!

We hotfooted it back to Whitby to watch it come through there live, and then a big steak dinner and the joy that is a bank holiday sunday evening out in Whitby, which is something to behold

Yorkshire is just a ‘has been’ county. We will never see it again in our lifetime.
I was back up there last week, I can confirm Yorkshire is still very much there:okay:

classic33

Leg End Member
There was talk on social media about if we all could raise £100 donations we could get the TDY up & running.
Sorry but no. That’s a stupid unrealistic & unfair idea. Yorkshire is just a ‘has been’ county. We will never see it again in our lifetime. Maybe one day the tour of Britain can pass through.
One!
Last time I checked, there were four.

Blimey. Don't be so negative. It might come back. Stranger things have happened.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There's a bit more investigation from the Yorkshire Post here

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/bus...ot-return-if-2022-event-was-cancelled-3367970

Seems the fundamental problem was lack of commercial sponsorship leaving a hole in the figures, and both ASO and Local Authorities stepping back from requests to fill that hole. That's how I read it anyway.

Given this, and the fact that London pulled out of hosting the 2017 TdF Grand Depart, ASO may not be looking at the UK as fertile ground for racing in future.

Top Bottom