235 miles a day for a year (Amanda Coker Challenge)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well done Dogtrousers, I'm still reading too which I wouldn't be without your updates.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
extensive market research of one person (me) I have found that there is less interest in this current attempt.
My extensive market research shows the reverse. Last time Jo from the Other Place had the analytics all sewn up, so there was nothing for me to do. Also, since the first attempt ended I've had the pleasure of meeting and riding with Steve, so this one is much more engaging - for me. The fact that he's not going to pass the Coker total makes it all the more interesting as it's become more of a pure personal challenge. True grit and all that. But I do understand that as he's unlikely to ring the bell of the world record that may reduce interest for some.

Anyway, I wrote all the stuff for collating data from Strava during Kajsa's year - so it's not much trouble to keep it ticking over.

Thanks for the stats @Dogtrousers it's much appreciated and keeps it interesting.

I rode with Steve about 5-6 weeks ago for a couple of hours, before he had his health problems. At that point he said he hadn't given up on going for Amandas record, but he was just taking it one day at a time and if he doesn't get the record, in the worst case he's still enjoying his time riding his bike.

He said he mostly only has his mum to help this time round so there isn't much time for social media as he basically has to eat, sort his bike and sleep ready for the next day and while his funds are running low he thinks he just about has enough to finish the attempt.

It was the first time I managed to ride with him (considering how often he does come to the Fens and I'm usually out at the same time, that's taken quite a while) and it was indeed very difficult to pace him. His riding is extraordinarily steady! Which means quite slow on the uphills and very fast on the downhills, and even though our hills are mostly bridges it was very hard to get the pace right. Looking at his Strava stats for the ride, he did get a few PBs on the stretch we rode together and his heart rate was nearly in the human range so he must have tried a bit to keep up :-)

He's a really nice guy and if he gets the record or not, it's an amazing achievement either way!

I guess the other thing to consider is Kurt vs Steve was an additional attention grabber for some. Going round at the same time would've gained interest.

Kajsa engaged far more than any of them to date which gave a special feed into her attempt (it also helped that I could ride with her and Steve a fair bit).

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I'm glad to say I've also had the pleasure of riding with him, on an early Kajsa ride. We had a conversation about my 30-year-old Coca Cola branded water bottles (now retired) so it's possible he might remember. Charming and modest.

For that reason alone I'm bound to feel more engaged this time around.

I wonder if he missed a trick by not running this attempt over a calendar year. Having had look at Kurt Searvogel's Strava stats, it looks as though Tommy Godwin still owns that particular accolade, by about 800 miles.

I've expanded the graph I posted a few days ago. I hope this is hitting an appropriate note:
Abrahamprogress.jpg
Since the two-day sickness break in September (which I believe coincided with his adpotion of the A505 circuit) he's averaged 197.6 mpd, which if maintained won't be quite enough to match Godwin. If he's still motivated to challenge Kurt Searvogel's total, and I hope he is, the extra needed from now on is about 10 miles per day, roughly equivalent to one lap of his circuit. That seems to be exactly what he did yesterday.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Steve's stats as at 22 Oct 17
Days: 233 (63.8% of year)
Dist: 78,367 km / 48,695 mi
Avg daily dist: 336.3 km / 209.0 mi
Avg daily elevation (Strava): 1,316 m / 4,318 ft
Moving speed (Strava): 25.7 km/h / 16.0 mi/h
Hours per day riding: 15.4
Projected total at current daily rate: 122,764 km / 76,282 mi
Rate over last 7 days: 312 km / 194 mi per day

upload_2017-10-23_12-36-4.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@Dogtrousers
IS Steve now below the KS line? Your graph is too small to make it out.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I hope he can muster the energy to do this.
But his progress line has been going south almost since he started.
The average daily mileage line does indeed look like that. But if you look at the actual progress he's been making over the months you get a different picture, something like this:
Stylized.jpg

That's heavily stylized, of course, highlighting only the most conspicuous trends. If the 195 mpd he's been steady at for a while now is sustainable to the end, then there must be grounds for optimism because as far as I can recall everyone who's completed a challenge of this sort has been able to produce a marked surge as the finish line has come into sight.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
as far as I can recall everyone who's completed a challenge of this sort has been able to produce a marked surge as the finish line has come into sight.
Including Steve when he did his Audax points record a few years ago.

Top Bottom